Author Topic: Chuck Yeager says...  (Read 5684 times)

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 01:12:21 PM »
And the military wouldn't have been eager to beat the Russians to space? ;)
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 01:44:56 PM »
They would have just hidden the disasters better. "Oh, no, we didn't lose a crew of 5, that was an unmanned test rocket that blew up"

and then secretly mail out 5 notices that 5 sons died in training accidents.

Something like that.

Offline lagger86

• Nickel Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 05:29:07 PM »
I heard the first space shuttle was just gonna be a modified P-51 flown by Yeager directly into space.
Lagger

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 05:30:56 PM »
Originally posted by lagger86
I heard the first space shuttle was just gonna be a modified P-51 flown by Yeager directly into space.

no, they are saving the P-51 with a notch of flaps for the mission to Mars.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 05:33:41 PM »
TACTICAL COMPARISON WITH MUSTANG III

Radius of Action
31. Without a long range tank, the Spitfire XIV has no endurance. With a 90 gallon long-range tank it has about half the range of the Mustang III fitted with 2 x 62 1/2 gallon long range tanks.

Maximum Speed
32. The maximum speed are practically identical.

Maximum Climb
33. The Spitfire XIV is very much better.

Dive
34. As for the Spitfire IX. The Mustang pulls away, but less markedly.

Turning Circle
35. The Spitfire XIV is better.

Rate of Roll
36. The advantage tends to be with the Spitfire XIV.

Conclusion
37. With the exception of endurance no conclusions can be drawn, as these two aircraft should never be enemies. The choice is a matter of taste.

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spit14afdu.html
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 06:13:53 PM »
Did anyone ask Chuck what he was doing the day he got his butt shot down?

His pony wasn't that great that day.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2006, 06:26:43 PM »
lol...this is all very funny, but give the man some credit!  I may have a big mouth, but is it that far fetched considering all of his accomplishments?
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline lagger86

• Nickel Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2006, 06:52:42 PM »
Last I heard he lived in Grass Valley, thats about a half hour from me.
Lagger

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2006, 07:09:44 PM »
Do you guys REALLY think he would get up there a talk BAD about the Mustang in front of a group of Mid-Western Americans??:rolleyes:

Online BigR

• Silver Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2006, 07:22:47 PM »
lol you guys are amazing. His facts might be a little askew but its hilarious to listen to some of you put him down. What the hell have any of you ever done?!?!  You’re all experts because you play a game on the internet lol... Give the man the respect he deserves even if he is a little overzealous with his love for the P51.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2006, 07:29:31 PM »
Originally posted by Blooz
Did anyone ask Chuck what he was doing the day he got his butt shot down?

His pony wasn't that great that day.
I think he got HO'd by a 190
:aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2006, 07:48:01 PM »
It doesn't matter if he's a war hero or not; if he's talking ****, he's talking ****.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2006, 09:19:34 PM »
Originally posted by VooWho
Yeager came to Tulsa, and my grandpa, my dad, and I went to see him. The place was packed, and Yeager would talk about how he hates NASA becuase they took over the space program. Yeager says if the Airforce still had control of the space program all of the Apollo crashes, and any other disasters wouldn't have happend. He said that the Airforce would wait tell it was safe enough to launch any rockets or space shuttles to space. He blaims NASA for most of the disasters becuase they were to eager to beat the Russians to the moon.

Yeager has a lot of antipithy to lots of folks, just read his book.  The guy is sure everyone is out to get him because he's just so good.  That's crap.  This comes from his autobiography... "I was sabotaged, but it was ironic having the Air Force’s big test pilot hero back in test pilot school, hitting the books. ……The school was on base. The instructors made damned sure it wouldn’t be easy for me   Their attitude was right out in the open:  they would love to flunk me. … So I did what I was told and counted to three or four hundred.  But I always remembered those nasty sons of *****es.  If they were harassing me because of a cocky attitude or because I wasn’t doing my work, I would respect that.  But this was spite.  I put a little red flag next to the name of each one of those guys, and nailed them the first chance I got.  That’s exactly what I did, and ruthlessly, too."  Now if this guy doesn't sound "disturbed" I don't know who does.

I can't say he's completely wrong about the decision to go to straight rockets vice the DynaSoar but much of what he says is merely speculation and the success of NASA's moon program speaks for itself.  As far as USAF doing a better job...well, they've had their share of disasters (XB-70 lost during a freaking photo shoot!!!) not to mention Yeager's own screwups with the NF-104.  Besides, the only NASA "disasters" up and through all of the moon landings were Apollo 1 (which wasn't even a space shot) and Apollo 13 which didn't cost any lives.  Challenger and Columbia came much later.

Funniest thing about him is that he single handedly ruined the NF-104 AST (an F-104 with a rocket mounted above the engine) program which was designed to be a space plane trainer to give student test pilots experience in space and operating reaction controls specifically so they could fly the Dynasoar.  Curtis Lemay directed that Yeager was to use the NF-104 to take the high altitude record from the USSR but he never got over 104,000 ft.  He boogered up each of his four flights and on the last put the plane in a spin and lost it.  Funny part about it was that Bob Smith (another USAF test pilot) had consistently taken the plane to between 115,000 and 121,000 feet.  Smith actually should hold the record but the flights weren't sanctioned record attempts so they didn't count (plus the USAF wasn't about to let Yeager be embarrassed).  The Yeager attempt was canceled after Yeager screwed the pooch and the USAF put massive restrictions on flight of the plane to cover up his screwups.

I've met Yeager and talked with him....he may be a talented pilot but he's an prettythang.

Mace
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2006, 09:59:06 PM »
Originally posted by Mace2004
[BI've met Yeager and talked with him....he may be a talented pilot but he's an prettythang.

Mace [/B]

Mace, be proud of the fact that you, in your infinite wisdom and knowledge, can size up a man, his reputation  and a lifetime career in aeronautics in a mere 4 paragrapghs. I'm impressed!

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2006, 10:30:47 PM »
'Chuck' deigned not to come to AW Cons .. we ..the players .. couldn't pay him enough.

So we (the players who organized the Con) got the guy who taught 'Chuck' how to fly a Mustang in combat.

Clarence 'Bud' Anderson.
I beleive 'Andy' loved every minute of the Con . . he was there in the midst of us all and havin fun.

The Old Crow is a class act.

'Chuck' pales in comparison.

Just my 2 copper.

-GE
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE