Author Topic: Saw Flags of our fathers tonight.  (Read 2354 times)

Offline tikky

• Copper Member
Saw Flags of our fathers tonight.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2006, 10:00:09 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3
I heard there's a sequel. Anyone gonna watch the 2nd part?  I heard the 2nd part will be released in Feb '07

I hope part 2 is even better.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2006, 11:12:21 PM »
Comparing it to SPR is insulting to Flags of our fathers. Not in the same league.

And I like SPR.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 11:13:27 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
well, I guess I can see where mandingo is coming from....same era, same war, same generation of americans doing the fighting.  only difference is the fighting was on opposite sides of the world - one on the vast european continent and the other a tiny island in the pacific.  yeah, there must be a boring resemblance between the two movies    

:rolleyes:

Here is an interview with Eastwood.  I wouldn't be suprised if this movie was actually better than SPR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvBIZILnA3o

Yup, If you think about it the Army had England to jump off from and a botched paratrooper plan to boot.  These guys did all of this strait from the sea.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2006, 12:22:41 AM »
I just got back from seeing it...

If any of you haven't read the book, go ahead and do so...  I think you'll be pleasantly suprised to find that this is probably the first movie that actually does the book it's based on justice.

Edit - slipped my mind the first time...  Just nitpicking here, but I did find it somewhat amusing that for a movie where such a major theme is the "spicing up" of events, etc., for the press, they didn't even bother to include the Iwo Jima Memorial...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 12:29:19 AM by Vudak »
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2006, 08:54:28 AM »
"Edit - slipped my mind the first time... Just nitpicking here, but I did find it somewhat amusing that for a movie where such a major theme is the "spicing up" of events, etc., for the press, they didn't even bother to include the Iwo Jima Memorial..."

Really? Wasn't that filmed though? I really think it was.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2006, 09:29:31 AM »
Originally posted by mandingo
yawn...  Spielberg already did this.

But not having see it, you would really have no idea what "this" is right?

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2006, 10:12:46 AM »
Originally posted by Angus
"Edit - slipped my mind the first time... Just nitpicking here, but I did find it somewhat amusing that for a movie where such a major theme is the "spicing up" of events, etc., for the press, they didn't even bother to include the Iwo Jima Memorial..."

Really? Wasn't that filmed though? I really think it was.

Nah, this is really, really, nitpicking...  The filmed the Marine Corps memorial (in DC I believe?).  It is a very common misconception for people to call this the "Iwo Jima Memorial."  It isn't.

The Iwo Jima memorial is in New Britain, Connecticut.  It is again a statue of the flag raising, though obviously different due to their faces not being visible in the photo.

As of six years ago, it was the only memorial devoted to Iwo Jima in the nation...   So, unless that changed, it still is.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2006, 11:25:24 AM »
How beautiful did those corsairs sound?  I really liked the fleet fly by, and then the part where the corsair lobbed two rox into surabachi
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2006, 12:15:38 PM »
They filmed the F4U's in the US, don't know much about it though.
(There were no aircraft above the landing scenes)
But what you see, tanks firing, howitzers firing, .50 cal's firing, explosions throwing sand over the soldiers is actually REAL. It wasn't done with computer graphics, but the old fashioned way. (Actually the cannons fired a real projectile, for the recoil to be real!). The noise on the set was awesome, it was frantic and smoky, you had chaos, cartridges, screaming sergeants, Vehicles stuck in the sand - the works!

I'm a bit disappointed that the colour is somewhat faded (green guys on black sand with blue sea looked really cool), but again that's the artist's power, and I haven't seen the whole thing yet so....;)

Just got to wait....
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline wooley

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2006, 12:39:40 PM »
Saw it last night - it was very good if not exactly light entertainment. Once again I gave thanks for having been born in an era that didn't involve being drafted into a war.

Don't understand why people applaud at the end of films here in the States though. Seems kind of strange to me.

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2006, 12:44:40 PM »
applaud?strange
i never saw people living cinema so quietly as yesterday

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2006, 12:58:52 PM »
Originally posted by ramzey
applaud?strange

Guess you never went to see The Pianist, or Schindler's List, etc. in the theatres then.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2006, 01:00:28 PM »
Originally posted by cav58d
How beautiful did those corsairs sound?  I really liked the fleet fly by, and then the part where the corsair lobbed two rox into surabachi

You know, I didn't really think they sounded as I remembered them?  Where were the whistles?

(Good chance I've just spent too much time near blasting music and have gone deaf)
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline wooley

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2006, 01:07:46 PM »
Originally posted by ramzey
applaud?strange

At the end of the film, the audience kind of split in two - there were people who applauded and left almost immediately and another group who stayed and watched the photos of the real people and were - as you say - very, very quiet and reflective.

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2006, 01:19:35 PM »
i havent seen flag of our fathers yet and but i know it wont be better then SPR.

and why do people applaud at movies? kind of dumb.