Author Topic: martial arts  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2006, 09:04:00 AM »
I learned falling from the USMC by dumping endless times into bomb craters :D
Actually came in handy when I was paddling my bike at max speed and the steer disengaged from the wheel, lol.
I was catapulted, and stayed in the air long enoug to read Dostojevsky.
The landing was correct, doc told me I was very lucky to get away like that with only 2 fractured ribs.
So, yes, physical training helps;)
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
martial arts
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2006, 09:09:14 AM »
we boxed in high school in my generation and, like a fool, I boxed some latter on in "sportsman" matches.   I can see why high schools don't allow it now with the new climate of womanlyness.

even with head and mouth gear and heavy gloves...  at least once a week someone would get a broken nose or knocked out.   In the gyms where golden gloves and sportsman sparred.. it was even worse.

without that level of intensity you really aren't gonna learn how to handle yourself when faced with an agressive attacker bent on injuring you any way that he can.   Even then... you need to be able to read people who have no real human traits.

even then... and that is a big deal... you will get suckered.  you will lose.  My most successful bar fights were where I hit first and as hard as I could.  everything else ended up pretty much like those UFC things on TV with a lot of wrestling around on the floor.... if you were lucky.... if not.. you got hit with something or ratpacked or suckerpunched.  I can't think of any training that would help someone in a lot of the situations I seen.

now... if you just want the kid to get some exercise and help with his shyness..... probly martial arts are as good as soccer.

lazs

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2006, 09:16:48 AM »
Look at the karate guy in the posted video Lazs. Those are actually 2 martial arts, one of the punching type, one of the wrestling type.
So, the punch expert misses once, and he's done.
Same with a boxing throw. But the beauty of good iu Jitsu or Judo is that one can actually get out of a 1 vs 1 situation with complete victory, without harming the....assaulter. You don't get sued ;)
Now, if you're a gun holder and draw quick enough, you may shoot someone who looks as if he's taking a swing at you. If you fail there, who's got your gun?
So, my vote goes to ....judo...ish stuff.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
martial arts
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2006, 02:44:50 PM »
If you watch the ultimate fighting stuff you will see guys with years of jujitsu training getting beat to a pulp and worse.... they are losing to the barroom type wrestling that is mostly going on...  like in any fight the bigger and stronger guy in the best shape with the most wind and meanest attitude pervails.

I am not sure that you want to teach people to prevail at that cost.

lazs

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2006, 03:18:29 PM »
In real life its abit different, but in ultimate fighting games with rules then i dunno. Havent watched it.

Offline Jebus

• Nickel Member
martial arts
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2006, 03:28:47 PM »
See that is why MMA is becoming so popular.  It isnt just one martial art.   That is what is so great about it.  It is 30 minutes of stand up, and 30 minutes ground work everyday.  I will tell you i am not the best at stand up, but i am comfortable enough on my feet.  But no matter what the situation i feel comfortable doing it because i pratice in all situations.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
martial arts
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2006, 10:25:16 AM »
nelson...you need to watch it... it is really just a barrom fight without anything available but your body to use as a weapon.

lazs

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2006, 10:50:40 AM »
Still has little to do with a real fight. There is rules and its there to entertain, and im sure its good fun too.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
martial arts
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2006, 02:28:47 PM »
I have seen plenty of "real" fights and the differences in them is pretty large... some look exactly like the ultimate ones, same exact script, but.....

The difference between the "ultimate" fights and real is.... one or both of the "contestants" are not drunk or loaded.... the crowd does not participate... No weapons other than the human body are used... the fight ends when someone is knocked out or gives up.

The other major difference is that both parties know that a fight is about to begin.

lazs

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2006, 02:36:35 PM »
Im just guessing here, but in ultimate fighting i would think they have some sort of protection sertain areas. You wont find that in a normal fight... drunken barfight or elsewere.

In real life a jiu-jitsu guy or a boxer would take out the other guy with one good punch or whatever. When you have 2 amateurs fighting then it sometimes lasts for awhile, but add a "pro" or two in the mix and one of them usually gets in a devestating blow, kick or lock within seconds and not minutes.

Offline Jebus

• Nickel Member
martial arts
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2006, 03:17:30 PM »
Here are the rules for the UFC.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=LearnUFC.Rules

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
martial arts
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2006, 03:26:05 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
Im just guessing here, but in ultimate fighting i would think they have some sort of protection sertain areas. You wont find that in a normal fight... drunken barfight or elsewere.

You get lightly padded gloves & a cup.

Reason for all the UFC rules is for the state athletic commissions. When the Zuffas & Dana White bought it, they needed to be able to market it in a lot of areas. Only way to do that was get acceptance by the commissions, which led to them adding a bunch of rules. Originally there were very, very few rules & no time limits... pretty much anything went except for biting & eye gouging.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2006, 04:11:41 PM »
it's not a bar fight unless there are some long-neck bottles involved.

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
martial arts
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2006, 04:49:55 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
it's not a bar fight unless there are some long-neck bottles involved.

Pick up my beer for a bar fight and your getting a spiked heal in the back of your head.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
martial arts
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2006, 05:23:15 PM »
I am a chain belt in Kung Fu. Bruce Lee was my teacher. Watch this. Woop! HAA! Agai! Woop! Woop! Agai! Ayahhhh! Woop! Iguh! Hiya! Woo! Woo! Ha! Ha! Woop! Agai! Bin! Ha! Haaaaaaaaaa... Watah! Tidah! That's called the quart of blood technique. You do that, a quart of blood will drop out of a person's body."

Trading places.  Great movie.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"