Author Topic: Race to the reset.  (Read 4959 times)

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Re: Race to the reset.
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 11:57:13 AM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
Has this become the total focus of the AH world?  The reason I'm asking.  The last few times i've flown, regardless of arena, that's all I see now.

Each time I log on in the evening, when I go into an arena, there are overwhelming numbers on one team and at least one other team so low in numbers, it's inevitable that the reset is coming.

It's kind of become the joke for me and the guys in the 80th.  We hop to the low number side for another hopeless, against all odds defense.  The problem is, no matter how hard you put up a fight, you don't have the bodies to spread out enough to stop the steam roll.

Last night I started in Midwar and a squadie and I were up in the 38s with DTs looking for the fight.  In literally a 30 second time frame, 6 base capture messages scrolled across the bottom of the screen.  The only kills landed were tank drivers.  Those of us in the air couldn't get to the fight as they'd be gone by the time you got to where the dar bar was when you took off.  I don't ever burn off all my DT fuel and we did last night and we never encountered another plane in the air.

So we hop to Latewar Orange.  It's 30 Rooks, 90 Bish, 90 Knights.  Ahh the hopless defense.  Good fun while it lasted, but there was no way to defend enough places to stop the reset.  Boom.  Reset.

So we come back in and it starts again.  6-7 of us defend 49 from the crowd.  Again the fight was fun while it lasted and in the end, at least by the time I logged off, we still held it.  But it was the only green base in the area by that time as every other undefended base had been taken around us.  Had we each spread out and tried to defend all of the bases we'd have lost 49 so it was a no win situation.

Granted it was funny to see them finally stop coming to 49 knowing they weren't going to get it, but clearly the emphasis is not on fighting other players but taking bases as fast as possible against as little opposition as possible.

So do we accept that this is now just the nature of AH, or is there a way to put the players back together in combat and change the emphasis off winning the reset as fast as possible.

Yeah I know it's an old question, but it seems to be getting worse lately and I see very few folks having any desire to change it.

You do begin to recognize the 'few' who jump to the low numbers to try and help fight off the inevitable, but sadly it's just a 'few' as clearly it's much more desirable apparently to belong to the 'winning' side.

If that's what the AH world wants, then so be it.  In the end I won't lose any sleep over it, but I can't believe we come to an online world with the opportunity to fly against 'real live' opponents only to instead avoid them in the quest to get reset perks.

Has been for a long time, even way before the changes, only difference was the resets happened less frequently because the numbers were more even.

Now because of the multiple arenas it has made resets easier to achieve.

HT has dug himself into a hole here-
He has already said numerous times that things aren't going back to what they were, so he has to continue to try and tweak a current setup that has obvious flaws in it.
No amount of tweaking will negate some of the flaws.

Anyone who didn't see some of this coming must have been blind -
Country jumpers before a reset in the old MA
Now are both that, AND arena jumpers if their country is doing badly in one of them.
Leading to low numbers in one arena, overwhelming in another.

But going back to the original "reset the map" once again, I re-iterate -
YES, it has been like that for a long time, even way before (years) the changes, only difference now is it is easier to do.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Race to the reset.
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 12:07:54 PM »
So basically Kev, you are saying that with the one MA it was easier to camoflage the flaw and now it's right out there in the open for everyone to see?

That suggests a complete redesign of the maps and the focus which to me, as stated before, becomes removing the reset as an option.

Leave limited base capture but not resets.  Introduce strat targets with meaning for the buffers.  Confine base capture to easily seen and defined areas that make base capture take actual effort and funnel the combatants to that area, etc etc.

Basically HT gave us the option to change it as a community with the different arena types, but the 'sheep' can only continue to eat the grass unless forced to learn something different?

Kind of a sad comment on the AH community isn't it.........:(
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
Race to the reset.
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 12:10:04 PM »
"baaaa--"

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Race to the reset.
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 12:13:32 PM »
notice it is very unusual for anyone to capture a base the 80th defends.

keep coming back for a short time and then go off to an undefended base,

It really has nothing to do with what squad defends from the bish.No matter if it's strangers or 1 squad bish always move on to another undfended field.When i was flying on the bishop side i flew in countless missions and when they figured the defenders wouldn't let them have the field they moved on and left the guys that were coming back in on thier second run hanging.Since flying with the knights the only country that is truly fun to take a base from is the rooks.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Race to the reset.
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 12:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Waffle BAS
"baaaa--"

Well we knew that was a given Waffle :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Race to the reset.
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2006, 12:35:43 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
So basically Kev, you are saying that with the one MA it was easier to camoflage the flaw and now it's right out there in the open for everyone to see?

That suggests a complete redesign of the maps and the focus which to me, as stated before, becomes removing the reset as an option.

Leave limited base capture but not resets.  Introduce strat targets with meaning for the buffers.  Confine base capture to easily seen and defined areas that make base capture take actual effort and funnel the combatants to that area, etc etc.

Basically HT gave us the option to change it as a community with the different arena types, but the 'sheep' can only continue to eat the grass unless forced to learn something different?

Kind of a sad comment on the AH community isn't it.........:(

No, the flaw wasn't camouflaged.
It was very unusual for any country to get numbers advantage in the old MA the way they can now under the new setup.
Even when the Rooks used to have their RJO's their numbers advantage as a percentage of the overall arena numbers was lower than what is possible now.

Remove the reset - Oh yeah can just imagine what this would cause.

Captures at defined areas - Would penalise the country that is in the hole, and make it a lot harder for them to get out of it.

Not a sad comment on the AH community at all when you realise people all play for different reasons -
furball
toolshed
pork
base capture

Like I said to not expect or forsee this happening shows either
a) naivity
b) a total lack of understanding of human nature
c) an imcomplete forecast of what might happen
d) a lack of understanding of the majority of the player base
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Race to the reset.
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2006, 12:36:36 PM »
When there are 90 bish 90 rook and they both race to reset the 30 knits I can get their point (though I hate it). BUT when there are 90 bish 30 rook and 30 knits, and still the rooks attack the knits I don't get it.

What is the tactical point of capturing the bases of the weakest country if you are not going to be the winner? The point of 3 countries, that's a tip for you armchair generals, is that the two weaker countries attack the strongest one. Ganging the weakest country only helps the third one win - read, you loose.

I like guppies idea of other rewards that do not require reset. For example, here are a few things I've been thinking about:
* reducing a countries type of factory / city to 0% awards perks. Destroying their HQ award more perks to everyone in the country (like in reset).
* Make only front bases capture-able, so their capture supports the strategic campaign, but does not prevent the other country from defending their cities and factories.
* Give incentive to the middle country to attack the strongest and not the weakest. What I'd really like is that if one country gets a reward, BOTH the other two loose something, but that will not be taken kindly I'm afraid. Instead make the reward earned for achieving goals relative to the numbers - meaning use the perk multiplier on rewards. So if the middle country attacks the weakest they get little reward. For the strongest it pays of to attack the strategic targets of the middle one.

This is way to drastic a change then what HTC will do now that they are working on TOD. But who knows?

ps.
I still don't get the perk greediness as I still have no use for them and I can make in one sortie more than what I get from reset.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Race to the reset.
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2006, 12:40:07 PM »
Resetting map, winning the war, my objective.  I've not switched countries for several years.  Good or bad, winning or losing, I fly the same side and try to help my country win and avoid losing.

Regards,

hap

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
Race to the reset.
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2006, 12:43:46 PM »
Originally posted by Hap
Resetting map, winning the war, my objective.  I've not switched countries for several years.  Good or bad, winning or losing, I fly the same side and try to help my country win and avoid losing.

Regards,

hap

:aok
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
Race to the reset.
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2006, 12:49:03 PM »
There are solutions Kev. Problem is there are a lot of players that just do not want the kind of solutions that would help these issues because they DO NOT want to have to fight for that they "earn".

A lot of these are going to take time so those of us that want them are going to have to be patent. Things that have been said before here many times.

Increase ack at fields with more manable ack.

Increase the number of troops required to capture a field.

Make it so you have to put troops in the field AND the town for a capture.

Harden troops and ord at fields.

Satellite airfields and camo'd hangers.

Make the point system reward for capturing strategic fields that will be defended and no reward for capturing undefended fields at the far ends of the map.

Get rid of the easy mode bombers with the easy mode bomb site and laser guns. Institute random bomb drift during fall or put wind above 10K. No dive bombing heavy buffs.

Come up with some form of penalty for the pork and auger tactics. Reward buff drivers for bringing them home safely. i.e. {gameID} completed mission objective with 0 losses of {squad name}

Many others have been suggested here. The problem is how many of the potatod mongers would agree with any of these? Why should they? They have it easy now. Run around the map 2 sides ganging up on the 3rd avoiding each other and when one side resets the map they can all exchange their WTGs.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
Race to the reset.
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2006, 12:52:58 PM »
When one side reaches a perk mod of 4.00....

enable NOOKS on the lowest number side!

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
Race to the reset.
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2006, 12:53:50 PM »
Originally posted by Hap

Regards,

hap
;)
;) :aok

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
Race to the reset.
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2006, 12:57:16 PM »
Originally posted by Hap

Regards,

hap

With that said, would you support changes that would make you actually fight for the bases you take? Increase the difficulty, etc..

I think I know the answer but I'd like to be proven wrong.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Race to the reset.
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2006, 01:00:56 PM »
Dont think most guys who go for resets do it for the perks anyway. The ones I've heard crowing are excited over "the victory...we are teh best" feeling. (I've actaully heard some guys saying that stuff..."we are the best country!" Sheesh.)

Rather than major structural changes, wouldnt it make sense to put in the dynamic, per arena country cap the Slap talked about a couple weeks ago? The balance issue would resolve, and easy hording would be decreased.

More ack, and more mannable positions, and so forth would also help defenders...but would they also make it MORE necessary to horde to get capture?
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
Race to the reset.
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2006, 01:07:43 PM »
Originally posted by Clifra Jones
There are solutions Kev. Problem is there are a lot of players that just do not want the kind of solutions that would help these issues because they DO NOT want to have to fight for that they "earn".

A lot of these are going to take time so those of us that want them are going to have to be patent. Things that have been said before here many times.

Increase ack at fields with more manable ack.

Increase the number of troops required to capture a field.

Make it so you have to put troops in the field AND the town for a capture.

Harden troops and ord at fields.

Satellite airfields and camo'd hangers.

Make the point system reward for capturing strategic fields that will be defended and no reward for capturing undefended fields at the far ends of the map.

Get rid of the easy mode bombers with the easy mode bomb site and laser guns. Institute random bomb drift during fall or put wind above 10K. No dive bombing heavy buffs.

Come up with some form of penalty for the pork and auger tactics. Reward buff drivers for bringing them home safely. i.e. {gameID} completed mission objective with 0 losses of {squad name}

Many others have been suggested here. The problem is how many of the potatod mongers would agree with any of these? Why should they? They have it easy now. Run around the map 2 sides ganging up on the 3rd avoiding each other and when one side resets the map they can all exchange their WTGs.

I suppose that could be an acurate assesment of one type of the game play that can be found in the arena's.  But there are others, like myself that operate in small groups,(squads) usually outnumbered, and enjoy the challange of a tough fought victory,...or defeat.  To me..."Winning" is the objective, but to do so by avoiding combat makes no sense at all.  So...for the others like myself, making it harder to "Win" ie: defeat enemy defences and capture enemy ground...only makes the game MORE FUN.  Not veryone plays to capture bases, not everyone plays to furball.

Have at it, there's plenty for all.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -