Author Topic: Removed from plane for prayer  (Read 2287 times)

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
Removed from plane for prayer
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2006, 01:10:14 PM »
There is a time and a place for everything.  Some people can go through their entire lives and never learn when and where those are.  Personally, if a group of practicing muslems got on a plane wanted to pray right there on the plane in public, that would make me very nervous.  

Partly becuase of the reputation Islamic fundamentals (the type that would disrupt everything to pray on a plane) have and partly because I wouldn't be able to understand what they were praying about.   An "Allah please protect this plane from danger and let us land again safety" is very different from "Allah let us act in a way to bring glory to your name against these infidels".  People who do things such as unannounced public prayer in inappropriate places are commonly called "crazy".  There's a good reason for that.  

Regards,

Malta

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2006, 01:31:35 PM »
Couple points.  How is it that Usually, you don't see a group of muslims opting to pray in the aisle of a plane.  Having said that, Why this group, Why now?  Clearly to disrupt.  If this was a normal occurance it wouldn't be an issue, it isn't normal or typical.  Whether it was to proceed an attack or prove a point, it Was intended to disrupt.  You can't do that in an enclosed space such as a plane without things going badly.

These people have also been placed on a no fly list.  Again, not typical, or usual, there are many cases where people are questioned and things move on after that.

There is more to this.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2006, 01:34:58 PM »
Heh if some of you want to fly in a plane packed with praying religious nuts, I'll give you my seat anytime and you can try your chances.

Because, historically speaking, having a bunch of nuts openly expressing their religion 99% of the time ends up REAL bad. It's a hostile act to push your religion to a group of people which may think differently.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2006, 01:50:12 PM »
Originally posted by ROC
Couple points.  How is it that Usually, you don't see a group of muslims opting to pray in the aisle of a plane.  Having said that, Why this group, Why now?  Clearly to disrupt.  If this was a normal occurance it wouldn't be an issue, it isn't normal or typical.  Whether it was to proceed an attack or prove a point, it Was intended to disrupt.  You can't do that in an enclosed space such as a plane without things going badly.

These people have also been placed on a no fly list.  Again, not typical, or usual, there are many cases where people are questioned and things move on after that.

There is more to this.

Yep, to suck in the bleeders like Chairboy, hook, line and sinker.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2006, 01:57:51 PM »
Originally posted by ROC

There is more to this.
:aok

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2006, 01:59:47 PM »
"Unfortunately it seems that Islamic terrorists also like to pray before committing their terrorist acts, and have done so on aircraft before" - Mickey 1992

I skipped most of the posts, and didn't check out the article either.. But i'm suprised they didn't get there heads pounded in as soon as they stood up in a group.
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2006, 02:01:56 PM »
Originally posted by Speed55
"Unfortunately it seems that Islamic terrorists also like to pray before committing their terrorist acts, and have done so on aircraft before" - Mickey 1992

I skipped most of the posts, and didn't check out the article either.. But i'm suprised they didn't get there heads pounded in as soon as they stood up in a group.

Well, it WAS an outbound Minnesota flight, surrre, ya..you betcha!...

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2006, 02:10:11 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
I've read through the case .

The court did not rule that atheism was a religion.

The court ruled that for the purposes of the 1st Amendment atheism is an equivalent to religion.

The court also mentions that the argument for or against a supreme being is a philosophical question and not a legal one.

Nice attempt at spin but this was a statement made by the court:

"Atheism is [the inmate's] religion, and the group that he wanted to start was religious in nature even though it expressly rejects a belief in a supreme being," the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals said.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2006, 02:23:18 PM »
Also: Keep em praying fellas, makes em easy to spot.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2006, 02:41:22 PM »
Originally posted by Donzo
Why did they have to do it on the plane?  

Is there some kind of "I gotta pray at this exact time everyday" thing going on here?

Yes, they pray 5 times a day at specific times. It is the most compulsory act in Islam and Muslims are pretty serious about it.
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2006, 02:57:25 PM »
Originally posted by lukster
Nice attempt at spin but this was a statement made by the court:

"Atheism is [the inmate's] religion, and the group that he wanted to start was religious in nature even though it expressly rejects a belief in a supreme being," the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals said.

Read the case. You're the one spinning it into more than it is.
sand

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2006, 02:58:58 PM »
Originally posted by myelo
Yes, they pray 5 times a day at specific times. It is the most compulsory act in Islam and Muslims are pretty serious about it.

sure, just like they are serious about not drinking alcohol.  :lol

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2006, 03:27:48 PM »
I'd be offended if Penecostals started speaking in tongues and brought out a bag of sankes. Snakes on a plane!![insert Samuel L. Jackson here]
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2006, 03:36:51 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Source?

Source = "They"

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2006, 03:39:21 PM »
Please tell me it was airborn at the time of removal.
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack