Author Topic: Testing Capture system in LW orange today  (Read 36446 times)

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
Testing Capture system in LW orange today
« Reply #195 on: November 30, 2006, 11:04:41 AM »
Originally posted by Quah!
although HT has left rear bases capturable so I don't see why the NOE guys are getting upset.

Rear base captures are still possible with this new setup?

Offline Quah!

• Copper Member
« Reply #196 on: November 30, 2006, 11:06:24 AM »
Yes he has left 1 or 2 rear bases capturable.  At least thats what I can tell from the pics above.  Lets face it.  HT will tweak this the right way I am sure to allow for an end run option.   Only now it may actually be strategic because he could program a successful end run to open up the front bases to capture.  Give it time.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 11:11:41 AM by Quah! »

Offline Quah!

• Copper Member
« Reply #197 on: November 30, 2006, 11:09:48 AM »
The only difference between then & now in LW-O is that the fight avoiding hordes are funneled together and given a very specific, immediate objective. They lost their freedom of choice to take the path of least resistance.
Bingo.   Also for the furball crowd that does not want to be bothered there are now fields where you can fight that are less likely to be griefed.

Actually to me it's kinda sad that people would have to be forced into combat in an air combat sim. It's not like your draftees. You pay to experience the air combat.
No kidding. :aok

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #198 on: November 30, 2006, 11:10:43 AM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
So what's your point?  If you play the game but don't register for the boards your opinion doesn't count?  If you say you don't like something and don't quit that minute you're not serious?  I don't get the point of your comment.

Only point should have been clear...it is a fact that MOST of the folks who come to this thread to complain...AND THEN THREATEN TO QUIT...have registered for the BBS relatively later than those who like to see HTC working to ensure that fights actually occur.

Nobody said anyone's opinion does not count, at least I never have. I've also never said a player should not complain about things they don't like. It is somewhat pointless though since Dale has said a million times he does not run his company or make game changes based upon and polling data or level of whining...but there is some benefit of being able to vent on the BBS among folks who are concerned about the game. What I DO think is pointless is this need some people have to go public with statements to the effect of a threat-to-quit. Either quit, or don't; doesn;t matter much either way really...but stop being such a whiney little baby with the "I'm taking my ball and going home if you don;t do it my way booo-hooo bullchit. Do it already and spare us the tears.

Regarding your statement about being here for ten years...interesting comment since this game went into public beta in late summer of 1999. I just looked for your activity back then...no sorties were flown by "BaldEagl" in beta-tour-1 through beta-tour-3, or tour-1 though tour-11 for that matter. Maybe you had a different handle back then, or are you going to admit that claiming to have "been here since the beginning" was a lie?

And as for QUAH, whoever you are...being a BK probably does put me into the furballer's camp but I have fun with base capture and defense too. I saw slapshot going heavy on a base capture sortie or two last night too. All I want from the game is a chance to fight a human opponent in A2A combat, I can think of no other reason to pay a monthly fee other than that chance. It is because this change makes it easier to find the fight and make it harder for my opponents to avoid the fight that I like it, it has nothing to do with pickers/ballers/milkers/generals or whatever label and "camp" you guys come up with.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #199 on: November 30, 2006, 11:17:15 AM »
you can only capture the next base on the blue line.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #200 on: November 30, 2006, 11:20:23 AM »
Originally posted by Grits
I concur with Westy's second of what Stang said about what Kweassa said.

I'll go with what Grits said, about what Stang said, on Kweassa's POV.  

Whew!
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #201 on: November 30, 2006, 11:25:37 AM »
Originally posted by john9001
you can only capture the next base on the blue line.

The source of the confusion is this quote...
Originally posted by hitech
Also have some captureable fields not in the list.

By "not in the list" one can ssume he means not on the blue line. Not sure how to know which these are but the implication that there are other capturable fields is clear.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #202 on: November 30, 2006, 11:30:33 AM »
Originally posted by Edbert
The source of the confusion is this quote...

By "not in the list" one can ssume he means not on the blue line. Not sure how to know which these are but the implication that there are other capturable fields is clear.

in that case i assume i are confused. :D

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #203 on: November 30, 2006, 11:35:07 AM »
Regarding your statement about being here for ten years...interesting comment since this game went into public beta in late summer of 1999. I just looked for your activity back then...no sorties were flown by "BaldEagl" in beta-tour-1 through beta-tour-3, or tour-1 though tour-11 for that matter. Maybe you had a different handle back then, or are you going to admit that claiming to have "been here since the beginning" was a lie?

I did say that that 10 years included Air Warrior 3, Air Warrior 2 and Air Warrior.  As soon as AW3 closed down I migrated here along with everyone else.  I don't know what beta tour they were on at that time so maybe "since the beginning" was the wrong term.  I only assumed the same people involved in Air Warrior were involved in Aces High as the game, planes, gameplay, controls, etc. were all almost identical.  Maybe that's a totally bad assumption and if so, then I appologize but I wasn't purposefully lying as you imply.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #204 on: November 30, 2006, 11:35:51 AM »
Funny part about the NOE bit.   After Stang's mishun got 34.  (Again a Furball type organized base capture)  Karaya set up an NOE 110 mission to get 20 with more of us 'furball' types.

At the time the dar bar was huge at 34 as the baduns were attempting to retake it.  Fights were going at 21 to try and stop reinforcements from coming to 34.  Others were hitting 33 for the same reason.  

Those of us in the 110s went on the deck from 252 (?), across the water a ways, popped up and got 20.

At the same time, there  were guys running supplies to 34 to get it back to full strength.

There was a coordinated effort, lead by a bunch of folks, many who would be classified as 'furballers', just to show that this could work.

Seemed like 'strategy' to me.  We had our "D-Day" where we had to get the base across the water.   Then it was to resupply and reinforce that newly opened 'front'.  Defend it and then expand it by attacking the bases where attacks where most likely to come from.  At the same time expanding the front by taking the next objective.

Basically we crossed the Channel, hit Normandy, fought in the hedgrows for a while trying to 'breakout' (this was when 20 changed hands a couple times) and then started the drive towards Paris.  (At that point the numbers were getting too off for me and I left Rooks for Knits as they were low numbers)

There was never any thought to taking Berlin until we'd taken Paris.

The irony of this to me, reading so many posts, is the guys doing the complaining are the  'strategy' types, grumbling that this is all for the 'furballers'.  

I flew more 'mission' oriented stuff last night then I ever have, and it was fine because I knew that as part of the 'mishun', I was going to have to fight my way in and that appealed to me.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Quah!

• Copper Member
« Reply #205 on: November 30, 2006, 11:38:54 AM »
I would agree Dan,

There is more strategery in an NOE end run at the front then there ever was for one 5 sectors behind the lines.

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
« Reply #206 on: November 30, 2006, 11:43:31 AM »
It is somewhat pointless though since Dale has said a million times he does not run his company or make game changes based upon and polling data or level of whining...

Interesting then that this is a test and a thread to get feedback on the test.

I'm interested on what Dale sees as the success factors for the test and how will he measure against those measures.  I would suggest if you don't like the set up don't fly in that arena.

I haven't flow it yet so I cannot comment but I am happy that Hitech has put in a test run rather than wide scale changes.  

How long is the test planned for before a decision is made?
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline 68Ripper

• Nickel Member
« Reply #207 on: November 30, 2006, 11:45:42 AM »
I guess we are trying to eliminate the GV'ers by doing the base capture in this way. I was on for a while last night night, for a short time there was one Rook Airbase in our territory and our GV base that were the only available bases to capture.

We finally re-captured the airbase and that eliminated the GV action at the GV base as it now became a uncapturable base. Now the only bases that could be captured was a rook airbase and a knit airbase. Neither had GV spawns so it was strictly furballers haven.

Not at all impressed with the current changes being tested, I hope that isn't the way that it's going to be.
Ironic
Fistful of Aces

I had a psychic girlfriend once, but she left me before we met

When I got home last night, my wife demanded that I take her someplace expensive....  so, I took her to a gas station

Offline Hammy

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.leedsstarafc.co.uk
« Reply #208 on: November 30, 2006, 11:57:12 AM »
Again it limits what you pay to do........................all bad.

makes me think of George orwells  book, 1984, dunno why though..:noid

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #209 on: November 30, 2006, 11:58:39 AM »
Originally posted by 68Ripper
I guess we are trying to eliminate the GV'ers by doing the base capture in this way. I was on for a while last night night, for a short time there was one Rook Airbase in our territory and our GV base that were the only available bases to capture.

We finally re-captured the airbase and that eliminated the GV action at the GV base as it now became a uncapturable base. Now the only bases that could be captured was a rook airbase and a knit airbase. Neither had GV spawns so it was strictly furballers haven.

Not at all impressed with the current changes being tested, I hope that isn't the way that it's going to be.

Again this doesn't make sense to me as the GV guys played a big part in what I was involved with last night.  20 changed hands a few times after 34 was taken.  20 was the Vbase and it was tankers in action there.  Rook tankers were working 33 as well while we did the NOE to get 20.  GV types were responsible for the capture of 34 after the goon couldn't make it in.  LVTs took the town.(I remember 4-5 rolling across 34 towards the town.  I was bellied in with my 38 on 34 after flak damage and watched them)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters