Author Topic: Dog fights on the History channel  (Read 2699 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Dog fights on the History channel
« on: January 13, 2007, 04:52:51 AM »
Anyone see tonight's episode?  It told the story of a SBD Dauntless pilot (can't remember how to spell his name but his nickname was "Swede") that was jumped by a Zero and was forced to dog fight.  The fight later evolved into a 2v1 and then a 3v1 and lasted close to 20 minutes.  Incredible story and what an amazing fight.  The Dauntless was able to hold it's own against the 3 Zeros and managed to down all three of them and make it home.  The Dauntless pilot was later transfered over to fighters and flew the Wildcat and I think was the first US pilot to down 7 enemy fighters in one fight.  The second story was about a B-17 bomber, Old 666 that was attacked by 17 Japanese fighters while on a photo recce mission.  Unfortunately for the Japanese they attacked what as then the most heavily armed B-17 in the Pacific with no less then 19 .50 cal machine guns including a nose mounted one that was fired by the pilot.  The crew was the most highly decorated crew in the war, 2 CMHs and 7 DFCs and downed 3 Japanese fighters before the Japanese fighters had to break off due to fuel.

I guess the moral of the story is that within every bomber pilot is a fighter pilot itching to get out.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 04:57:00 AM »
yea it was way Cool ... Triple 6 Rocked !!!  oh yea The AH commercial on the History channel ... ABout Frelling time !!! Woo hoo .

(Way more exposure on the history channel ...its on basic cable everywere ) :aok
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 05:16:18 AM »
Stanley Vejtasa
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 05:29:04 AM »
We play game, to see a man fight for his life pulling 9 or more g turns. Kicking his rudder against Headon attack after headon was great lesson, wish i could use rudder pedals. but was another great dogfight the thundercat's fight was fun to watch to. The boy and I watch every friday nite. I bet those Zero's were on 200   swearing he had cheat codes.

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 05:47:49 AM »
Jeez, do that in the MA and you'll be labled an Ackstar!:D

It was a good show though.

Debdenboys.comAdministrator

storch

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 06:51:40 AM »
no wonder there was a drove of noobs in SBDs on last night.

Offline T0J0

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 07:00:19 AM »
Excellent placement of the AH commercial... It was the first time I have seen it ever on tv..
I hope the Dogfight show does well, most entertaining night of tv in years!

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 07:26:55 AM »
Originally posted by Roscoroo
oh yea The AH commercial on the History channel ... ABout Frelling time !!! Woo hoo .

(Way more exposure on the history channel ...its on basic cable everywere ) :aok

Fresh meat :p

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Had to Tape It!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 08:42:15 AM »
I go to work at nights.  Just as it comes on I am leaving.  I taped it and about to watch it this morning.  I was about 8 mins. late for work (heehee).  I couldn't pull myself away even though the tape was running.  So, I can't  read your posts yet.   I will post later after I watch it (getting popcorn.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 08:58:09 AM »
Anyone know who produces the graphic animations? Looks uncannily like AH.

Offline Tabasco

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 09:01:53 AM »
Originally posted by T0J0
Excellent placement of the AH commercial... It was the first time I have seen it ever on tv..
I hope the Dogfight show does well, most entertaining night of tv in years!

For sure. I've seen the commercial a few times before but it fit in so seamlessly with the program that it caught me by surprise this time.

I wonder if those shows can be had on DVD yet?

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 09:51:45 AM »
Originally posted by Max
Anyone know who produces the graphic animations? Looks uncannily like AH.
I only saw the first 25 minutes, but I thought the clouds looked amazingly like the ones in AH.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 10:26:43 AM »
80% of the attack runs on that episode were HOs, but it still wasn't a valid tactic, right?:aok   Tell that to that SBD pilot who is alive today because he was a "skilless dweeb":lol
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 10:30:33 AM »
Originally posted by storch
no wonder there was a drove of noobs in SBDs on last night.

You'll find some vets flying the SBD as well.

I like to use it to intercept raids. Invariably, they don't take the threat seriously and pay for it in spades. The last time I flew the SBD against a raid, I nailed 4 F4Us and a P-51 before being forced to ditch my wrecked Dauntless. Excellent turning ability, zero convergence guns and the ability to force overshoots at will all contribute to the SBD being far more dangerous than most players will realize... Until it's too late. :)

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 11:05:07 AM »
I caught it until just after the B-17 story about 666 then had to go to sleep (it was 1AM at this point). I missed the AH commercial.

Oh, hey Ack-Ack, I think they said it was the single most decorated mission, not the most decorated crew (meaning everybody on that mission got a medal instead of just 1 or 2 people). At least that's what my sleep-fogged memory tells me :aok

It was a pretty cool thing to see the modifications to that B-17. Almost like the YB-40 (the heavily armed B17 that was too slow to stay with formation after bomb drop?), but all field-modded!