Author Topic: hiroshima recreation  (Read 3097 times)

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2007, 09:43:19 PM »
Originally posted by TracerX
Total war now is much more frightening.  With very little effort, millions of innocent people can be indiscriminately exterminated.  Luckily the lessons of WWII have made the consequences of total war clear.  Rational countries have decided that total war is no longer an option.  Hiroshima, as gruesome as it was, had to happen, otherwise it might have played out on another battlefield by the USA or some other power on likely a much larger scale.  My fear is that less morally responsible countries might not have learned the lessons of the past.

I think you missed my point.  When you go around fighting these "little wars" you look like nothing more then a bully.  If another country knows you'll pull out your big stick in any fight they will be much less likely to tempt you in the first place and will be willing to sit down and REALLY talk.  It's like telling your kids to stop doing something but you never put your foot down, all you have done is make the child worse.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 09:53:52 PM by Xargos »
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2007, 09:45:31 PM »
Originally posted by Viking
What are you on about now? I haven't said nuking Japan was wrong. Why are you so full of [insert colorful language]?

You've been PNG'd.   I'm not the one full of chit.   My God, yer the one hiding behind a shades account GShulz.    You think yer cagey because yer playing devil's advocate, like you did before you were PNG'd.   Buy a new act.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2007, 10:18:07 PM »
You shouldn't drink and post Masherbrum. You're attacking me for no reason.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2007, 12:36:25 AM »
I read somewhere the heat from the blast bubbled quartz in granite
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2007, 01:03:57 AM »
Reminds me of a quote:

Mayor of Hiroshima: "What the Hell was THAT!?? :O
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2007, 04:33:35 AM »
The human race needs to spend more energy on trying to find more homes outside of this planet, because as long as we keep breading at the rate we are there will be no cure for our overpopulation except for a major nuclear war.  Fresh water will be worth it's weight in gold in the not so distance future and people will fight and die for it.

The only responsibility we have as humans is to make sure our children are smarter and stronger then we are, this includes them not being sheep like some people wish.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2007, 04:42:05 AM »
Originally posted by Viking
You shouldn't drink and post Masherbrum. You're attacking me for no reason.

"No Reason".   You're now back pedaling because your game is up.   You've been insulting Angus this whole thread, and now you "decide to have some feelings"?    Grow up.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2007, 07:48:20 AM »
An unwarranted accusation on your part. If I've been insulting someone you wouldn't have any trouble quoting me. But since you don't I’ll stick with my previous statement that you’re full of [insert colorful language].

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2007, 08:12:09 AM »
gshlotz/vikingboy....  You are wrong.   The japs and germans were an evil empire with their governments on a suicide binge.

This was a pivotal point in world history... it was totalitarianism against democracy.   Never was the U.S. or britan in a position where the PEOPLE would think it prudent to surrender.   Not even close.    Other euro countries did get to that point and guess what?  they surrendered...  The countries controlled by their totalitarian governments did not.. they didn't care... in fact they welcomed the total destruction of their peoples...

Stalin, hitler tojo... they all wanted the total destruction of their people... if they were to lose.. then by gawd.. everyone was gonna die... they didn't have any intention of being on trial for their crimes against humanity.

and.. you won't like the answer viking boy but german aircraft design killed her... right from the start... from the BOB to the end... their short range defense only fighters were their curse..  when the japs and Americans could run 1500 miles in a fighter and the Americans could go that distance and still drop 2,000 or more lbs of bombs.. the germans were pretty much stuck a few miles from a friendly airbase watching 4 engine bombers go by.  

no carriers or carrier planes to make up the difference...  nothing...  rockets and jets..  that was it.   and then.. they couldn't take off and land or get worked on without being bombed or strafed.

So far as being useful in fighting a world war... german fighters were trash.

lazs

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2007, 09:22:56 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
gshlotz/vikingboy....  You are wrong.   The japs and germans were an evil empire with their governments on a suicide binge.

I would say the Japanese and German culture glorified death to the point that most of their population welcomed a chance to die for their country. A whole population doesn’t ‘commit suicide’ just because their leaders say so.

This was a pivotal point in world history... it was totalitarianism against democracy.   Never was the U.S. or britan in a position where the PEOPLE would think it prudent to surrender.   Not even close.

Thank you for also proving my point. The British will to fight never yielded, and had Hitler invaded I would expect the British to have fought in the streets of London.

Let me ask you this Lazs: Do you think America would have surrendered to an enemy in any war without at least an invasion of mainland USA? Would America have surrendered to the Japanese if the war had gone that badly? Would you have surrendered to the Soviets during the Cold War to prevent the nuclear annihilation of your country?

I don’t think so.

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2007, 09:33:47 AM »
Other euro countries did get to that point and guess what?  they surrendered

Not one European country surrendered to the Germans without being invaded. Even France didn’t surrender until they had lost their capitol to the advancing Germans.

So why people think it would be acceptable for Japan to surrender before an invasion of their mainland is beyond me.

Again you prove my point.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2007, 01:16:22 PM »
What a highly enlightening thread, and for once I find myself in Lazs's park, and smiling (not agreeing on the fighter quote though).
Scholzie, we have been debating about the point when it's time to step down, - surrender. While the words have been getting big, we still don't disagree that much. And yet we do. Ok, on to the job. This one:
"How little you know. It takes time for a nation to decide on such grave matters as surrender. On August 9, 1945 three days after, and as a direct result of, the bombing of Hiroshima the Japanese leadership gathered in Tokyo to re-discuss the American peace proposal known as the Potsdam Declaration. During the meeting news came that the Americans has also destroyed Nagasaki. That same evening the Japanese decided to accept the American terms of surrender."
As little as I know, and out of memory, The Japanese military council met after Hiroshima and decided to carry on, after Nagasaki (well, this happened within days) it was a council draw whether to carry on or not, the emperor stepping in and taking the desicion, - for his people.
The military command was being...stupid...because the war was absolutely lost for the Japanese. They might have had some chance of a deal (which BTW was nowhere in the charts)  before IWO and Okinawa. Iwo was Japanes soil, and so was Okinawa. After almost 4 years of war, would you think the Americans would leave the Japanese business unfinished? Well, if you would, excuse me for shouting the word "idiot".
But, well past any hope of victory, while NOT working on negotiations, the Japs fought on with the terms you beautyfully quoted:
"We can no longer direct the war with any hope of success. The only course left is for Japan's one hundred million people to sacrifice their lives by charging the enemy to make them lose the will to fight"
Now ponder on that for a second. The ONLY COURSE?!?!?!?!?!?! What frigging idiots. The dungpoddle that both Japan and Germany stepped in was exactly this, - to keep on making people sacrifice their lives just in case the enemy might break on the last mile. Very likely, yes? Well, the Japs tried hard, on Iwo, then on Okinawa, and to their surprize, the USA kept their guts and carried on trucking. Once Okinawa was seized, it was definately over for the Japs, and hard lessons like all those air raids should have sounded clear enough. (Tokyo, - more dead than at Nagasaki)
So, I proudly use the word "Stupid" for the Japanese in charge.
And they had months for deciding, - it didn't even have to be a nuke! A grave matter of surrendering vs stepping down before being subdued!

Same goes to Germany. From Hitler's point as well as his close circle, there was always the "endsieg". But his finest commanders were above that, basically they knew that the odds were against them, and once the allies had gained foothold in France, it was just a question of time and fronts. Rommel for instance, realized. If the Western Allies would not be driven to the sea from their invasion, all would be lost. He realized, he saw it happening, he was involved in a plot against Hitler, and ended up eating some healthy cyanide.
So, dead Rommel was still right. Germany was doomed, and lost the war completely. Like the Japanese (and since Germany fell before, there was an example for the Japs to look at, - the Allies do indeed finish their jobs), the Germans fought for a lost cause. Once there was a point of pivot, all fighting of attrition was completely a waste.

Hehe, this one:
"Not one European country surrendered to the Germans without being invaded. Even France didn’t surrender until they had lost their capitol to the advancing Germans.

So why people think it would be acceptable for Japan to surrender before an invasion of their mainland is beyond me."

Beyond you? Well, Japan was already partially conquered (Iwo, then Okinawa), there was no airforce or Navy to speak of, ther was no ally any more, and the enemy could go around and bomb absolutely everything at will. All esources outside Japan were blocked as well.
 No doubt you would have been well in the park with the Japanese military council...

Then the final line of genious I stumbled on:
"I would say the Japanese and German culture glorified death to the point that most of their population welcomed a chance to die for their country. A whole population doesn’t ‘commit suicide’ just because their leaders say so.
"
Now here I wholeheartedly disagree. Both nations were pushed on by a very powerful control. The Japs were a bit on their own I guess, with their warrior code in the pocket. But the Germans had a tough Nazi choice, fight and you may live, back off and you will be killed. Did the wardead Germans glorify the thought of dying? You claim that most of the population welcomed the chance of dying for their country. MOST!. Absolute rubbish.
On the contrary, it were the leaders, for they held the wand in their hands.
If you then lookl at the British, there was not just the will to fight, but also some potential. Not beaten on by the boss.
(Warning, we probably agree that the German population was quite happy about the business in the summer of 1940)

And the finite. Civil. The word "Civil" Okay, here's your "civil" stab:
"Should the British have surrendered in 1940 before the BoB when nobody seriously believed Britain could survive with her armies defeated in France? Should the Russians have surrendered when the Germans were attacking Moscow and even Stalin had lost all hope?

By Icelandic logic, yes. However I'm rather thankful that the Icelanders were not defending Britain or Moscow back then."

My whole logic was to tell what I have been supporting, - both Germany and Japan fought well over an obvious point of having lost. Great commanders like Rommel saw that, I take his point. Call it Icelandic, but I rather think that Rommel was right (which he proved to be), and then you can side with Hitler's opinion with a broad smile.
But anyway, this one, is the one Lazs was probably referring to:
" I'm rather thankful that the Icelanders were not defending Britain or Moscow back then."
And I have to say...clumsy and trollish insult. Much worse than calling Hitler and Tojo a pair of imbeciles.....
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2007, 02:07:31 PM »
Angus, put some spaces in your wall of text. I'm not going to hurt my eyes reading that.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2007, 02:18:36 PM »
Maybe the text will hurt your head rather than the eyes.
Anyway, any cod left around Norway ??

(:D)
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
hiroshima recreation
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2007, 02:26:40 PM »
gshlotzvikingboy...  Of course you are wrong...  most of the euro countries hitler invaded folded like a cheap card table under a fat lady..  they gave up when their armies were defeated which, coincidentaly..  happened to be on their own soil... no mass of citizens fighting..

the french did have an active underground tho but...  they surrendered long before every major city was reduced to ruble like the suicide kings...  the totalitarian governments of germany and japan.

As for the US... moot question.. it could not have happened...  we would have no more been invaded no matter what happened than were the brits.   The germans would have to have first taken mexico or canada in order for their worthless air force and puny navy to have any chance of invasion.

Before they even started.. the germans and japs were doomed to failure... how soon or long it took depended on the fog of war and how lucky they were or unlucky we were but...  it was inevitable.. the japs built decent equipment for long range and tactics but none of it was survivable..  no one that had experiance ever survived long enough to pass it on...  the germans built complex and expensive equipment that had no range and the average german couldn't even work much less repair.   They had no long range anything and no carriers.  

They were still using a frigging million horses at the end... they had almost 500 types of vehicles all different and only one in 100 german soldiers had ever even owned a car before the war.

lazs