Author Topic: about Vote  (Read 2242 times)

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
about Vote
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2007, 06:21:52 PM »
Karnak, I'm sorry, I was'nt going to point out people and name names...And I'm not saying that everyone who posts' here is guilty of some of the things in my previous post. But I'm sure that if you read some of the posts from such events as the MA split, or even some of the current ones (Such as the G.55 threads)You'll see what I mean.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 06:28:52 PM by FrodeMk3 »

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
about Vote
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2007, 06:36:25 PM »
Hey, I got an idea . . . .

For the next vote, lets start a 'votefortheworstplane.com' web site.  

Regards,

:noid

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
about Vote
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2007, 06:56:07 PM »
I must have missed the memo that stated that the current vote winner
will be the last aircraft added to AH2?  Isn't it just possible that it's just a
beginning and that we will get something else new in the future?
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
about Vote
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2007, 08:32:25 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
The people who frequent the forums are more prone to being WWII aviation enthusiasts.

This rang a bell in my hollow head.

It seems to me that the WWII historical aviation enthusiasts have been in the minority - and a very small minority at that - for quite a long time.  Probably AH started out with them being in the majority (I wasn't here to confirm this, but I have heard tales told around the camp fire, and I saw the change occur in AW).  But now it seems to me that most of the people who fly here have, at most, a very basic concept of WWII aviation, gleaned from such sources as The History Channel.  There are many more who seem to have no grounding in the history at all, but who were attracted by the opportunity to have a win-the-war game using the equipment their grandfathers told them about years ago.  Or, failing that, using equipment which they may have seen on The History Channel.

While I instinctively resent this, I also recognize that times have changed, I have grown old(er), and kids no longer are interested in reading about  the WWI aces, or the WWII aces, or history in general.  The world moves on.  All you have to do is compare the populations of the early-war, mid-war, and late-war arenas (heh, much less Axis v. Allies) to see that performance and success are what matter most to the overwhelming majority of our group.

The historians among us can scratch the dirt and cluck loudly and peck each other until we bleed to death and die in the dirt, but the rest of the world is moving along by us and paying very little attention to our concerns.

- oldman

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
about Vote
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2007, 09:03:06 PM »
Meh, no population who put Bush into office or that fat git in as American Idol should be given the majority vote on anything, ever again.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
about Vote
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2007, 09:39:24 PM »
I most humbly must disagree.

Regards,

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
about Vote
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2007, 09:57:10 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731

It seems to me that the WWII historical aviation enthusiasts have been in the minority - and a very small minority at that - for quite a long time.  Probably AH started out with them being in the majority (I wasn't here to confirm this, but I have heard tales told around the camp fire, and I saw the change occur in AW).  But now it seems to me that most of the people who fly here have, at most, a very basic concept of WWII aviation, gleaned from such sources as The History Channel.  There are many more who seem to have no grounding in the history at all, but who were attracted by the opportunity to have a win-the-war game using the equipment their grandfathers told them about years ago.  Or, failing that, using equipment which they may have seen on The History Channel.

While I instinctively resent this, I also recognize that times have changed, I have grown old(er), and kids no longer are interested in reading about  the WWI aces, or the WWII aces, or history in general.  The world moves on.  All you have to do is compare the populations of the early-war, mid-war, and late-war arenas (heh, much less Axis v. Allies) to see that performance and success are what matter most to the overwhelming majority of our group.

The historians among us can scratch the dirt and cluck loudly and peck each other until we bleed to death and die in the dirt, but the rest of the world is moving along by us and paying very little attention to our concerns.

- oldman

You know, before I bought AW3 one rainy day, I'd never even heard of a P51 or a Spitfire, so I suppose I was one of the guys that you'd instinctively resent...  But, OTOH, games like this certainly did spark a true interest in me that I now have a fairly decent chunk of my personal library devoted to books on WW2 aviation in one way or another...  Die cast models, trips to airshows and museums...

Basically, I've gone from someone who might have thought the show, "Dogfights" was cool because of the graphics, etc., to someone who thinks the show is cool based on how it looks exactly as it did in my head when I was reading about the dogfight in question (especially that Mustang vs. 109, prop-hanging fight, forget the names)...

I'm no expert on the topic, by any means, but I'm also certainly not reliant on the history channel for my information anymore, either.

I'm sure there are others like me.  People who grew to enjoy the same interests as you, but who probably never would have been able to if it weren't for games like this.

Give newer people a chance, and I'm sure they'll join that fold, too.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline jon

• Nickel Member
      • http://http://www.wildaces.us
about Vote
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2007, 10:36:18 PM »
Gianlupo
I am not telling you what in voting for:t

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
about Vote
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2007, 12:28:35 AM »

- oldman

Well put Old one.:aok

Offline Zwerg

• Copper Member
about Vote
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2007, 02:29:48 AM »
I'm with Batfink and Rino in this one.

We can assume HT has the data of all the planes in the vote list. We'll have them all, sooner or later.

HT gave us a bone to gnaw. And it worked. :D

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
about Vote
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2007, 02:29:56 AM »
Originally posted by jon
Gianlupo
I am not telling you what in voting for:t

:lol

But I'll know it, anyway! My crystal sphere will tell me!

MWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAH! :t
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Angry Samoan

• Silver Member
about Vote
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2007, 06:35:08 AM »

Old and wise:aok

Offline ColKLink

• Nickel Member
about Vote
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2007, 07:55:56 AM »
I'm a merican, and I rode the he111, all the way to the crash site.:rolleyes:
Live each day like it's your last, and one day, you will be right.---- rush 2112,--->" and the sheep shall inherit the earth"......