Author Topic: Deflection 101  (Read 4516 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: This is a deflection shot...
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2007, 04:20:07 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
1HungLo/Sweet2th-

If you want to know what a deflection shot is, here are some screenshots showing a high probablility 90 degree deflection shot.

ack-ack

show off,had to be a LALA in the screenie....:rofl :rofl :rofl :lol :lol :lol

Nice shot....:aok

Offline StuB

• Zinc Member
Deflection 101
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2007, 04:42:33 PM »
Obviously you don't have a clue about what I think.

If you go and re-read my first post in this thread you'll notice that I said that I try to avoid HO's but that if they persist, and I can get a shot off as well, I will.

The merge is a double edge sword.  you want to do it as close to them as possible so as to not give them any anglular advantage.....but the other edge is that it also puts you infront of their guns as you close.

Personally, I get a thrill out of merging with someone attempting a HO, trying to avoid being shot and scoring hits from a quick snap-shot as they spray rounds all around me.  

Instead of name calling and trying to assert how much better you are for not shooting someone in the face at the merge, why don't you just deal with the fact that HO's happen(ed) in "real life" and so they can and do happen in AH as well.  

"If your a good pilot, there are many substitutions rather than leaving it to the pilot with better aim."

A good pilot.....sure, but if you are a good fighter pilot you will not only fly well, but shoot well too.

Originally posted by WMDnow
And by the way, we dislike fair fights.  We like planes at different speeds and altitudes, thats what shows whether a pilot is actually any smart or not.  Also, YOU think HOing is actually a good tactic when the fight is FAIR.  It is absolutely valid if you are fighting 3 V 1, not if its 1 V 1.  YOU protect the HO-tards.  I fire when the HO-er fires at me, but HEY im actually to busy manuevering and NOT getting shot!  If your a good pilot, there are many substitutions rather than leaving it to the pilot with better aim.  If this ain't true, then im a GOD of anti HO-ing   :mad: :furious :t
"Facing up to 200 Russians eager to have a nibble at you, or even Spitfires, can be quite enjoyable...but curve in against 70 Boeing Fortresses and all your past sins flash before your eyes."

Major Hans "Fips" Philipp
Geschwaderkommodore, JG 1
206 Victories. KIA 8 October, 1943

Offline Wes14

• Gold Member
Deflection 101
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2007, 05:46:03 PM »
Nice figure-8 Nascar track :D
Warning! The above post may induce: nausea, confusion, headaches, explosive diarrhea, anger, vomiting, and whining. Also this post may not make any sense, or may lead to the hijack of the thread.

-Regards,
Wes14

Offline WMDnow

• Copper Member
Deflection 101
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2007, 06:44:50 PM »
Originally posted by StuB
Obviously you don't have a clue about what I think.  Yes, i do, i said i hate HO dweebs, but you say its OK for them.

If you go and re-read my first post in this thread you'll notice that I said that I try to avoid HO's but that if they persist, and I can get a shot off as well, I will.  I do to, but i dont think anyone is going to risk it TWICE.

The merge is a double edge sword.  you want to do it as close to them as possible so as to not give them any anglular advantage.....but the other edge is that it also puts you infront of their guns as you close.  Not if you dive first!

Personally, I get a thrill out of merging with someone attempting a HO, trying to avoid being shot and scoring hits from a quick snap-shot as they spray rounds all around me.  I think it's suicide.

Instead of name calling and trying to assert how much better you are for not shooting someone in the face at the merge, why don't you just deal with the fact that HO's happen(ed) in "real life" and so they can and do happen in AH as well.  Im not name calling, but HO ing is the true mark of a dweebtard

"If your a good pilot, there are many substitutions rather than leaving it to the pilot with better aim."

A good pilot.....sure, but if you are a good fighter pilot you will not only fly well, but shoot well too.  You knew what i meant, dont be an ***    

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
Deflection 101
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2007, 07:01:27 PM »
This s the way I look at it--
   Yes, in real life pilots took a shot if it was presented ... they were flying to survive.

We are flying for sport, so in my opinion its the "out flying" of someone that makes it exciting, not the picking a cannon package in the hanger and then flying right at someone.

If someone is flying solely to get a good score then while they may achieve a good score, it is really very empty and in no way represents having any skills as a pilot. (this does not mean everyone with a good score is a poor pilot)

its a rare day indeed when I dont see 110, LA, or spit pilots pushing for a ho

(of course they all say they only ho when --
someone trys to ho them
they are trying to take a base
they are trying to defend a base
they are caught low
they are caught high
they are caught slow
they are too fast
they are outnumbered
i think that about covers it but I'll throw in "when the month ends in "R" or "Y" ")

Offline StuB

• Zinc Member
Deflection 101
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2007, 07:07:36 PM »
WMDnow, please edit your last post to properly reflect what you quoted from my post.

You say "Yes, i do, i said i hate HO dweebs, but you say its OK for them."

That is not exactly what I said or meant.  What I'm saying is that "HO dweebs", as you like to call them, are a factor in the game as they are in real life.  I neither like them or hate them....they are just doing what they do. ....so I deal with them as well as I can.

Think about it this way.  If you tried to pet a strange dog and it bit you....who's fault is it?  The dogs?.... or yours for not anticipating that it might try to bite you?  Should you hate it (or all dogs) for what it did?  Or should you just try to be careful around dogs you don't know?

Have fun....

StuB

Originally posted by WMDnow
"Facing up to 200 Russians eager to have a nibble at you, or even Spitfires, can be quite enjoyable...but curve in against 70 Boeing Fortresses and all your past sins flash before your eyes."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Deflection 101
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2007, 07:16:39 PM »
Originally posted by FBplmmr
This s the way I look at it--
   Yes, in real life pilots took a shot if it was presented ... they were flying to survive.

We are flying for sport, so in my opinion its the "out flying" of someone that makes it exciting, not the picking a cannon package in the hanger and then flying right at someone.

If someone is flying solely to get a good score then while they may achieve a good score, it is really very empty and in no way represents having any skills as a pilot. (this does not mean everyone with a good score is a poor pilot)

This is exactly what I mean. Stub, you do realize that you don't die if you get shot down right? This is a game, not real war where its "survival  of the best shot, no matter what shot".

Fairness in a game is using the tools and rules as they were MEANT to be used, to defeat the other player. Meant is the word that brings in the "honor" part of it. Sure you can take the plane with the biggest guns fly strait at the enemy firring from 1200 out and not letting up till your in the chute, or through his wreckage, but there is no skill or challenge there, just luck.

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Deflection 101
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2007, 07:27:24 PM »
Originally posted by Kermit de frog
This can actually help people.

You can let Sweet2th try to HO you and you can practice avoiding dweebs such as him on nailing you in an attempted HO shot.

BRILLIANT!!!!!

Seriously.:cool:

your just to thick to understand any of what was typed is all.

This track was designed for teaching deflections in a 2 or 3 Vs. 1

I never HO shoot anyone except bombers or LTAR's

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Deflection 101
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2007, 08:16:57 PM »
Originally posted by Sweet2th
your just to thick to understand any of what was typed is all.

This track was designed for teaching deflections in a 2 or 3 Vs. 1

I never HO shoot anyone except bombers or LTAR's

You mean the track was designed by a person that doesn't know the difference between a deflection shot and a head on shot.  

Never say never, especially in a film that shows you firing at every head on opportunity you had.

Please look at the screenshots I posted for an example of a deflection shot.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
Deflection 101
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2007, 05:32:39 AM »
Originally posted by Simaril
Niros, deflection shooting is fiing "off angle". It requires leading your target; whereas, a HO or a shot from the dead 6 are not deflection shots.

Snap shot usually means moderate deflection with a brief firing window, as the target zips past.

Simaril, your definition of a snap shot is not correct. A snapshot has nothing to do with the amount of deflection. It occurs when you fire at a target without tracking it and, in fact, it's opposed to a "tracking shot". With less word and maybe more clearly, as Shaw says:

«There are two broad categories of air-to-air gun-firing situations: "tracking" shots and "snapshots" The tracking shot occurs when the pipper remains steady on the computed aim point for longer than the settling time of the sight. A snapshot, sometimes called "raking guns," refers to a situation when the pipper merely passes through the proper aim point, never stopping.»

He refers to modern gunsights when he talks about "settling time", however the definitions applies to our planes, too: it occurs when the pipper (the point inside the rings in the gunsight) remains steady in lead position relative to the target for a certain amount of time (that is, when you match the turn rate of the target, while following a lead pursuit course)

Anyway, both a tracking shot and a snapshot may be deflection shots: of course, given their definition, the tracking shot will be usually a low deflection shot, while the snapshot will be usually a high deflection shot (90 or more degree off tail).

I hope it's clear, sometimes it's not easy to explain things even if you have them clear in your mind :p Especially when you do that in a foreign language.

StuB, Cunningham didn't head straight to the MiG because he wanted to scare him, but, as you said in a latter post of yours, because he didn't want to give him any angular advantage:

«As we headed for the coast at 10,000 feet, I spotted another airplane on the nose, slightly low, heading straight for us. It was a MiG-17. I told Irish to watch how close we could pass the MiG to take out as much lateral separation as possible so he could not convert as easily to our six o'clock. We used to do the same thing against the A-4s back at Miramar since the two aircraft were virtually identical in performance. This proved to be my first near-fatal mistake. . . . A-4s don't have guns in the nose.»

Plmmer... well said, sir, I guess I'll quote you in my signature! :)
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
Deflection 101
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2007, 01:33:37 PM »
Here, i am putting up some pictures that hopefully demonstrate the difference between a ho and a snap shot, hope this helps.

The HO,

The snapshot,

Maybe now we can put this to rest once and for all.

Offline WMDnow

• Copper Member
Deflection 101
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2007, 02:18:25 PM »
Originally posted by StuB
WMDnow, please edit your last post to properly reflect what you quoted from my post.

You say "Yes, i do, i said i hate HO dweebs, but you say its OK for them."

That is not exactly what I said or meant.  What I'm saying is that "HO dweebs", as you like to call them, are a factor in the game as they are in real life.  I neither like them or hate them....they are just doing what they do. ....so I deal with them as well as I can.      

I Agree with this.

Think about it this way.  If you tried to pet a strange dog and it bit you....who's fault is it?  The dogs?.... or yours for not anticipating that it might try to bite you?  Should you hate it (or all dogs) for what it did?  Or should you just try to be careful around dogs you don't know?

I Disagree with this, you dont know if someone is a HO tard unless you have been.  I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you are acusing me of being stupid and unreasonable,  so I was trying to show you what i meant.

Have fun....

StuB

Offline WMDnow

• Copper Member
Deflection 101
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2007, 02:39:01 PM »
Lotta argueing, eh?  :D

Offline StuB

• Zinc Member
Deflection 101
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2007, 03:15:33 PM »
Im sure that if HTC wasn't trying to strive for REALISM they would have  turned off HO's.  

But they didn't, did they?

Maybe they need to create a "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron" arena where HO's are turned off for you?  :)

Originally posted by The Fugitive
This is exactly what I mean. Stub, you do realize that you don't die if you get shot down right? This is a game, not real war where its "survival  of the best shot, no matter what shot".

Fairness in a game is using the tools and rules as they were MEANT to be used, to defeat the other player. Meant is the word that brings in the "honor" part of it. Sure you can take the plane with the biggest guns fly strait at the enemy firring from 1200 out and not letting up till your in the chute, or through his wreckage, but there is no skill or challenge there, just luck.

Offline gusman

• Nickel Member
Deflection 101
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2007, 03:20:08 PM »
Is it Ok to HO bombers?

not a troll It's a great tactic but don't want to be called a HO dweeb

gusman44

Lt Cdr gus
801 Squadron FAA