Author Topic: good grief  (Read 2840 times)

Offline PK1Mw

• Nickel Member
good grief
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2007, 02:02:46 AM »
Originally posted by KingSix
rino, kingsix is not my original account, ive been a user off an on since Aces High 2 was just Aces High. so BITE ME!

My guess is more off than on, and while you were off you didn't read much about what you are talking about..

The p-39 would be a great addition, yes. But you have to understand, we are talking about a plane that only had 30 rounds of a 37mm that was shot out of a gun that was completely horrible. Everyone thinks German 30mm's trajectory is bad?? They couldn't even hold a candle to how bad the P-39s gun was, and the pilots who flew them acknowledge how bad the gun was in multiple books and articles.

That plane would have been flown for the first few days to get the curiousity factor out of the way, then it wouldn't be touched, besides those who get kicks out of flying planes that are hardly flown. All people see is it has a 37mm and they automatically think.. "Wow, here's a big gun to HO with". Half the people that voted for it, I gaurantee don't know much about the plane other than it has a 37mm.

And if KingSix isn't your actually name, then quit hiding in fear of being "flamed" or corrected. You knew this was going to be a bad idea to post about this, that's why the shades name.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
good grief
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2007, 08:00:14 AM »
Originally posted by PK1Mw
And if KingSix isn't your actually name, then quit hiding in fear of being "flamed" or corrected. You knew this was going to be a bad idea to post about this, that's why the shades name.

At last sighting after we unanimously kicked King06 out of our squad (horde:D  ) that is still his present game handle. Have fun, guys.

<--singing: Beer and Pocorn, oh what fun.
                  Beer and Popcorn, have another one...
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
good grief
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2007, 08:11:10 AM »
The plot thickens.
wow.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline -VM-

• Zinc Member
good grief
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2007, 09:02:48 AM »
I'm glad we got the 25. We have an operational B-25 stationed near here and I see it often. I sure hope they get the sound right. This thing is awesome on a low pass. I can only imagine the stark terror that Japanese coastal crews must of felt as a flight of these rolled in for no good intention to them. I've see this bird, it is most assuredly a sight to behold and I cant wait to fly it.

Sure the numbers guys will talk pro's and cons, I personally do not care. To see this old war horse make a high speed pass makes all numbers fade as your bones resonate from the vibration of shear horsepower.

Please Waffle I'm ready to fly it.

Toads dad. SALUTE . What else can a guy say. Accept maybe " I wish that I could have had the privilege of flying a Mitchell." Of course in peace time.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
good grief
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2007, 09:31:36 AM »
rino, kingsix is not my original account, ive been a user off an on since Aces High 2 was just Aces High. so BITE ME!

My bad, you're not a clueless noob...just clueless.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
good grief
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2007, 09:43:47 AM »
Originally posted by FrodeMk3
We were thinking it would be better to rise above ourselves, and bring in a bird that a relative of one of our own had quite an experience in.

It's only a little bit we could do, And this story in the bottom link really fires the imagination.

We have little time in which to honor those, whom we only emulate.

http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=202874

One of our own flew the P-39 too...... so that reasoning is off the books.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
good grief
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2007, 09:54:10 AM »
Originally posted by halcyon
Just think, now you can land a B-25 on the CV, and recreate the Doolittle raid! :lol

You can land any plane on a CV.  You won't be able to takeoff though.  Lots of folks don't realize that the "Tokyo Raid" involved stripping everything that wasn't strapped down on those B-25's and they put broomsticks in the gun positions as they had to rip out the guns and they took minimal ord and fuel.  It was a Public Relations mission entirely and not a tactical response.  I don't think anybody who knows anything about WWII that plays this game expects to be able to launch B-25's from a Carrier in anything but a scenerio.

All the Best...
Jay
awDoc1

PS.. If it was good enough for Yosarrian to fly it, then it's good enough to be in the game!  I call this a genuine "CATCH-22" situation.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 09:58:08 AM by doc1kelley »
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
good grief
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2007, 10:27:55 AM »
Originally posted by doc1kelley
Lots of folk don't realize that the "Tokyo Raid" involved stripping everything that wasn't strapped down on those B-25's and they put broomsticks in the gun positions as they had to rip out the guns and they took minimal ord and fuel.  It was a Public Relations mission entirely and not a tactical response.  I don't think anybody who knows anything about WWII that plays this game expects to be able to launch B-25's from a Carrier in anything but a scenerio.
Nuh-uh!  If BEN AFFLECK could do it, then so can we!!!

YEah!

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
good grief
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2007, 11:37:41 AM »
Originally posted by Stang
Nuh-uh!  If BEN AFFLECK could do it, then so can we!!!

YEah!

ROFLOL... Yeah HT could make a perk for "Ben Affleck" mode.  would bring in a bunch of the newbies.

All the Best...
Jay
awDoc1
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
good grief
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2007, 11:48:29 AM »
You can land any plane on a CV.  You won't be able to takeoff though.  Lots of folks don't realize that the "Tokyo Raid" involved stripping everything that wasn't strapped down on those B-25's and they put broomsticks in the gun positions as they had to rip out the guns and they took minimal ord and fuel.  It was a Public Relations mission entirely and not a tactical response.  I don't think anybody who knows anything about WWII that plays this game expects to be able to launch B-25's from a Carrier in anything but a scenerio.

All the Best...
Jay
awDoc1

PS.. If it was good enough for Yosarrian to fly it, then it's good enough to be in the game!  I call this a genuine "CATCH-22" situation.

Um, chances are pretty good that your target won't be hundreds of
miles away from the CV when you launch...so you won't be needing all
that gas.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
good grief
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2007, 12:13:49 PM »

All the Best...
Jay
awDoc1

Doc, please go back and read a bit before you try and tell us about the Doolittle raid.

The B25B had no tail gun position.  They put the broomsticks in as a decoy.  The belly remote turret came out as it was basically useless as it did on the C and later models.

They carried extra fuel in a bomb bay tank as well as additional cans of fuel that the top turret gunner/engineer had to empty into the bomb bay tank as they flew.

So it was a standard B25B with the usual armament outside of the belly turret and it had more fuel not less then normal.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
good grief
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2007, 12:37:44 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
So it was a standard B25B with the usual armament outside of the belly turret and it had more fuel not less then normal.

A bit simplified.  It wasn't exactly a "standard" B-25 that lifted from those decks.

B-25B's with 4 X 500lbs (which was the ord capacity of a B model.  
Yes more gas.  
Yes decoy broomsticks added.  
Some B-25's had ventral gun, some had tail gun, don't think any ever had both.  B's had ventral gun removed for the mission to save weight (and they would be at wave top height most of run).  
Norden bombsite was removed for the mission, since it was low level run.  
The ARMOR plating was removed for the mission, to save a lot of weight.  
No waist gun positions on those B-models, IIRC.  
Anything non-essential removed to save weight for the mission.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
good grief
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2007, 12:41:56 PM »
halcyon are you a moron? the doolittle raid for 1 launched from a carrier, it didnt land on one. for the most part the raid was a disaster, it was forced to launch too soon, most the bombers were destroyed after being either shotdown, or running out of gas and having to ditch. something like one or two made it to extraction in china. and to all you people who think the b25 should have been added for "historical" impact, fine what ever, but the point is, that bomber is slow, doesnt have the bomb capacity to be more than trivial at best.

The raid was not a total disaster, in fact it was a great success.  

Tactically, it had little impact as damage was minimul but that was not the point of the raid.  The point of the raid was to show the Japanese that we are able to take the war to their homeland and can strike whenever we want, where ever we want.  On a strategic standpoint, the Doolittle Raid was a complete success and you'll have a tough time finding any historian that will say otherwise.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline KingSix

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
good grief
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2007, 01:40:48 PM »
See Rules #4, #5
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 07:52:17 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline KingSix

• Parolee