Author Topic: Why I'll never own a Pit Bull  (Read 3878 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Why I'll never own a Pit Bull
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2007, 05:31:23 PM »
90 attacks by mixed breeds sounds like skewed statistics.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2007, 05:49:40 PM »
Originally posted by eskimo2
Anyone who has stated that Pit Bulls are only owned by gangsta trash who want to look tough clearly is generalizing and is off base.  Pit bulls are owned by by gangsta trash who want to look tough AND by redneck trash who want to look tough.

So I guess he's "redneck trash" because he's from Texas?

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2007, 05:51:42 PM »
Funny we're talking about this.  I'm just driving home from the airport and go past a local park where I see a puerto rican woman, holding back her pit bull on a freaking chain link chain.  2 minutes later, I see a a black woman, no more than 120 pounds, walking a full grown rott......

like these women would have any chance of stopping these dogs if they wanted to do anything.  well, that all depends if the woman would even want to stop the dogs to begin with.
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2007, 06:01:37 PM »
Originally posted by Gunthr
interesting Indy...  im thinking that it might partly be a nature vs nurture thing  i.e,  pitbulls may be owned by a larger percentage of people who want a dangerous dog, and people who desire a dangerous dog may be more inclined to be irresponsible owners.

This is why I'm glad the popularity of the Rott has declined so much in recent years. I can't think of anything worse for the breed then all the backyard breeders pumping out garbage dogs for a quik buck. I ran a medical call at a guys house several years ago. The guy had 8 "Rottweiller" looking things chained up on his property. The dogs looked like inbred abominations. I asked him about his dogs and he informed me he was a breeder. Being a responsible Rott owner I experienced a new level of frustration that day.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2007, 06:03:18 PM »
Originally posted by cav58d

like these women would have any chance of stopping these dogs if they wanted to do anything.  

Sure they would, its called training.

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2007, 06:05:57 PM »
Ghetto arse woman in New Haven.  Im sure they are benevolant enough to stop these dogs....prolly their drug dealer boyfriends dog....And no, i'm not being racist.  When I say these people were ghetto, I mean it
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Cougar68

• Nickel Member
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2007, 06:15:53 PM »
Originally posted by moot
90 attacks by mixed breeds sounds like skewed statistics.

I wouldn't be suprised if it's true.  I'm sure that there are more mixed breed than purebred dogs 2 to 1.  Plus the mixes are usually the ones that get turned loose to do as they please.  

I'm extremely happy that Rotties are on the decline in popularity.  They aren't fighting dogs but were getting the reputation due to some awful breeding.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2007, 06:19:45 PM »
Originally posted by cav58d
Ghetto arse woman in New Haven.  Im sure they are benevolant enough to stop these dogs....prolly their drug dealer boyfriends dog....And no, i'm not being racist.  When I say these people were ghetto, I mean it

ghetto training? maybe?  

Maybe not.:(

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2007, 06:34:13 PM »
Originally posted by Atoon
Mixed breeds= 90
Wich is almost 25% more than pit-bull types. I wonder why you chose to leave that particular part of the study out?

Using the numbers logic, we should ban any/all mixed breed animals.

I didn't feel like retyping the second chart since this conversation is/was about pit bulls.

I didn't say ban anything. I don't care wtf pet people own. I had a friend with a pet Timber Wolf named Fenrir. It worked out for him just fine. Only time it ever becomes a problem is with irresponsible owners. Is responsibility too much to ask for? I hope not.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2007, 06:43:25 PM »
This thread reminds me a bit of the gun threads.

I am not for banning the breed either. Freedom can be an ugly thing, but the price is worth it.

We should just hold Dog owners of any kind responsible for the actions of their dog, the dog kills someone, they get charged with negligent homicide.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 06:48:50 PM by GtoRA2 »

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2007, 06:55:57 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
they are.
You just have to go back 20+ years to find them LOL
The ones he is reporting

the first was in 1991
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00015547.htm

the second was in 1994

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabies/professional/MMWRtext/mmwr4414.htm

No offence culero
But I think your paranoia is a bit outdated, overhyped and directed at the wrong species

I think you are equally as intelligent on this subject as you have demonstrated you are in terms of basic arithmetic skills in this post. They should start a new TV show for you: "Are You As Smart As A Second Grader?"

No offense :)

PS - maybe you could compete with 5th graders in spelling, maybe not ;)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 06:57:59 PM by culero »
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2007, 07:03:47 PM »
Originally posted by Slash27
This is why I'm glad the popularity of the Rott has declined so much in recent years. I can't think of anything worse for the breed then all the backyard breeders pumping out garbage dogs for a quick buck. I ran a medical call at a guys house several years ago. The guy had 8 "Rottweiller" looking things chained up on his property. The dogs looked like inbred abominations. I asked him about his dogs and he informed me he was a breeder. Being a responsible Rott owner I experienced a new level of frustration that day.

Amen. Our dogs had no business ever being as popular as they were, or even are now. I despise the scum who have abused these dogs, and damaged the breed.

Most people do not know Rottweilers are actually herding dogs, that is what they were bred for. The protection skills of the breed came along later. Well bred and raised Rottweilers are among the smartest and best behaved of all dogs. I dearly love mine, and I will not have a home without Rottweilers.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2007, 07:06:11 PM »
A neighbor several houses down the road breeds Siberian Huskys. Several years ago my wife was chatting with the lady in her driveway. Another neighbor's Pit Bull got out of their fenced yard and went after one of the Husky pups. The momma Husky, (a very large 65 lb) intercepted the Pit Bull within a few feet of the fleeing pup. She killed it in what seemed like a few seconds...  Shredded its throat like a chainsaw. Blood everywhere. Huskys are usually very gentle with adults and kids, but is just about the most ferocious dog on earth when it comes to protecting it pups or children in the household.

Jack Russells, and Terriers in general are fearless little animals that will defend its family to the death without a second thought. My buddy Jay has a Jack Russell. They call it "Wolverine dog" because any critter that enters their yard does so at its peril. Raccoons, squirrels, cats or dogs, it matters not. It's in for a rough time when that 15 pound buzz saw lays eyes on it.

To that mighty mite George... Saved that little girl's life. He gets a gold water bowl in doggie heaven.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 07:09:29 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2007, 07:06:18 PM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
Amen. Our dogs had no business ever being as popular as they were, or even are now. I despise the scum who have abused these dogs, and damaged the breed.

Most people do not know Rottweilers are actually herding dogs, that is what they were bred for. The protection skills of the breed came along later. Well bred and raised Rottweilers are among the smartest and best behaved of all dogs. I dearly love mine, and I will not have a home without Rottweilers.

I thought they were bred to pull small carts in Germany?

I love Rottweilers, a friend of mine has one, he is just the sweetest dog. Getting old now, about 14. Huge Dog, twice as wide as my lab.

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2007, 07:09:44 PM »
Yeah, WW, Husky is an amazing breed - only dog I've ever seen that could chew its way out of a hurricane fence. (No BS, I've seen it happen!)
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey