Author Topic: What WW2 ace do you look up to?  (Read 12889 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
What WW2 ace do you look up to?
« Reply #150 on: June 02, 2007, 08:04:07 PM »
Originally posted by Charge
Rudel was an exceptional pilot and soldier what ever his political attitude was and I can understand if somebody may look up to his achievements and commitment as such without considering his character -and not many even know about his political attitude.

Heh.  Peiper was an exceptional panzer commander.  Where does that leave us?

- oldman

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #151 on: June 02, 2007, 08:10:01 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
Heh.  Peiper was an exceptional panzer commander.  Where does that leave us?

- oldman
He had orders from above him, and there is a grey area in that.   That is a fact.   Katyn makes Malmedy look like a picnic.   If we're comparing "massacres" that is.

Furthermore, 18 men of the 394th I & R Platoon held off Pieper's SS troops and armor for a while.   When finally captured after ammunition ran out they met Pieper.   Pieper didn't kill them, he actually got on one his underlings for trying to loot them.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 08:13:29 PM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #152 on: June 02, 2007, 09:59:51 PM »
Honor is among men...not Nations.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #153 on: June 02, 2007, 11:24:06 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
He had orders from above him, and there is a grey area in that.   That is a fact.   Katyn makes Malmedy look like a picnic.   If we're comparing "massacres" that is.
[/b]

Oh, ah, comparing massacres, is it?  I'll up your Katyn with a Treblinka, how's that?

Furthermore, 18 men of the 394th I & R Platoon held off Pieper's SS troops and armor for a while.   When finally captured after ammunition ran out they met Pieper.   Pieper didn't kill them, he actually got on one his underlings for trying to loot them.

...um...you aren't seriously trying to make Peiper out to be an OK guy.

Are you?

- oldman

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #154 on: June 02, 2007, 11:47:56 PM »
Originally posted by Charge
"Pretty big drawback wouldn't ya say?"

Since you seem to be interested in this particular detail would you care to tell me what kind of nazi Rudel actually was? Maybe he thought that bolchevism was a plague that should be wiped off the earth for good? I'm sure soldiers of any other nation has ever thought the same... Was he pompous? Maybe so but many skilled people are and boy he really was dedicated and skilled. Was he the only nazi in Luftwaffe? Hell no, Hitler affected quite many people in Luftwaffe before his luck ran out. I have heard claims that other Luftwaffe pilots didn't really like him but it escapes me what was the reason: maybe he remained loyal to their leader when others whimpered when s*it hit the fan? Now is that a good quality in a soldier?

Not that I'm a huge fan of Rudel but I think he was a very good soldier who believed in his principles and did anything he could to stop the Russians and surely it is quite easy to put him into some general category labeled "Nazi" without pondering what qualified him as one, and in what way he was actually different from any other dedicated soldier "with a higher mission".

I really don't know for sure. Do you?

-C+

All accounts seem to place him in the same  category as Otto Skorzeny in terms of the die hard Nazi postwar as well.  Seems like he, like many Nazi's ended up living in South America.

I don't lump all LW pilots with Rudel btw.  Folks like Werner Moelders at least began to question the cause they were fighting for.  There is some suggestion that Mersielles began to doubt the cause as well after some experiences in Italy.

Blind faith to any cause is not a good thing.  Being a good soldier doesn't mean you lose your right to think for yourself.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #155 on: June 03, 2007, 01:45:02 AM »
charge  i disagree with you and believe that any nazi is a bad nazi

mine would be Major George Preddy (352nd Fighter Group, Eighth Air Force)who was credited with 23.83 air to air kills in the mustang and 26.83 total air to air kills, making him the #1 p51 ace of the war which makes him my super idol , and its can appreciate that his brother was also a high scoring ace in ww2.and cripes o mighty:aok

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_E._Preddy%2C_Jr.

he downed several aircraft mostly 109s and two 190s and i blieve 3 ju88s
until some genious american ground gunner shot him down
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 01:49:17 AM by evenhaim »
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #156 on: June 04, 2007, 04:10:16 AM »
"Heh. Peiper was an exceptional panzer commander. Where does that leave us?"

Peiper was a brilliant commander but also a bloody murderer as I believe he had no orders forcing him to do those horrible things, they were his own decisions. Maybe Rudel would have done the same if he was in WaffenSS, we'll never know, but I don't think he was that kind of person after all.

"Blind faith to any cause is not a good thing. Being a good soldier doesn't mean you lose your right to think for yourself."

I agree and I think that although Rudel was an exceptional pilot and soldier, to me it seems he was also a bit... well, simple.

"charge i disagree with you and believe that any nazi is a bad nazi"

Don't put that kind of things into my mouth, dude. I never said that there were "good nazis" but there is a big difference between Rudel and Peiper -at least a few hundred civilians and POWs, that is.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #157 on: June 04, 2007, 05:45:32 AM »
Naturally enough being Irish it has to be Brendan 'Paddy' Finucane. But Irish or not he deserves to be up there with the greats. He ended the war second only to Johnny Johnson as the top scoring RAF aces.  But Johnny Johnson survived the war, Finucane died in 1942 with 32 kills and the rank of Wing Comander at the age of 21. In the end it was ground fire that got him on one of those stupid 'Ramrod' raids that the RAF wasted their pilots lives on.

He even reputedly shot down the great Galland.

He rates alongside Pattle as one of the great unsung heroes of the war. At the time though Finucance was a celebrity in Britain. They even sold toy spitfires painted in his markings. Yet I can only find the same two or three pictures of him anywhere. Strange.

He was virtually unknown in Ireland though as mention of the war was heavily censored in the press.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 05:52:34 AM by cpxxx »

Offline tango2fox

• Zinc Member
« Reply #158 on: June 04, 2007, 07:14:42 AM »
Gregory Hollenbeck---- for thoes of you who know your history you will know this WWII  ace.

Offline Nutzoid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #159 on: June 04, 2007, 06:15:15 PM »
Originally posted by Brooke
Interesting -- he's wearing a US A2 flight jacket.

Thought that jacket looked familiar! :)
C co. 1st Bn 7 CAV 1st Cav Div  " Garry Owen"

Offline ForrestS

• Nickel Member
      • http://freewebs.com/link850
« Reply #160 on: June 04, 2007, 07:15:55 PM »

Born: 09/24/1920
Died: 08/06/1945
Inducted:10/18/1987

Born and raised in Poplar, Wisconsin, Richard Ira Bong was destined to have a short but illustrious career as a military aviator. In just under two years, Major Bong had downed 40 enemy aircraft, thereby distinguishing himself as America's top fighter ace of World War II.

Bong entered the Army Air Corps in 1941 already in possession of his private pilot's certificate. In 1942 he earned his second lieutenant's wings at Luke Air Force Base, Arizona.

Early in 1943 Bong saw his first combat and in a little over two weeks had qualified as an ace. By June, 1943 he had earned the Distinguished Flying Cross and was promoted to Captain in August, 1943. Bong's notoriety increased when, in April,1944, he recorded his 27th victory, surpassing Captain Eddie Rickenbacker's World War I record of 26 victories. Along with the fame came the promotion to Major.

After more than 500 combat hours and 40 confirmed kills Bong was sent back to the United States. Among the many military awards Bong accumulated was the Congressional Medal of Honor and the Australian Distinguished Flying Cross.
Back in the states Bong was assigned as a test pilot to the Army Technical Service Command. On August 6, 1945 Major Richard Bong was assigned Lockheed P-80, tail number 44-85048, for a routine acceptance flight. Following preflight inspection and a normal engine start, pilot Bong taxied for departure. Receiving takeoff clearance at 1430 local, the aircraft moved into takeoff position on runway 15. Seconds later Bong pushed the throttle up beginning his takeoff roll. Witnesses recall seeing puffs of black smoke as the plane lifted into the air and climbed to a reported altitude of between 300 and 400 feet. The aircraft began to roll to the right, leveled and the canopy came off. The aircraft began a descent as the engine, according to an eye witness, failed. The aircraft then pitched over into a steep descent. The aircraft hit the ground in a steep nose-down attitude with a terrific impact followed immediately by a fuel explosion. Major Richard Ira Bong, America's Ace of Aces, was dead.

Offline EVV100

• Zinc Member
Kozhedub
« Reply #161 on: September 20, 2007, 03:13:45 PM »
Ok...one of my favorite aces was Ivan Kozhedub, from the USSR!

URRA:)

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #162 on: September 20, 2007, 03:32:07 PM »
Flight Sgt. Wilkinson, RAF Hurricane pilot, BoB.

My 6th grade teacher in 1975.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2007, 04:04:20 PM »
I think that they are all heros, but the ones I look up to the most in no particular order are Thomas Blackburn, Claire Chenault, George Preddy, Jimmy Doolittle, Douglas Bader, and Don Gentile.

On a totaly differant subject.

BaDkaRmA158Th you are a flipping idiot. You don't deserve the freedoms that these men fought, and some of them died for.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline boingg

• Nickel Member
« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2007, 04:25:19 PM »
I have a few I would add to the list
Hannes Trautloft  former JG54 commander then member of the Bundesluftwaffe
Walter Nowotny  now how he was missed ? an exceptional pilot
Helmut Lipfert  203 aerial victories

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.