Author Topic: P-47 Thunderbolt  (Read 4254 times)

Offline BluKitty

• Nickel Member
      • http://
P-47 Thunderbolt
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2007, 11:52:48 PM »
I think what they mean by snap roll is the same thing I would recommend.  Learn to snap roll at will, in the direction you want too, and stop at will. . . Only way to learn is practice - try snap rolling both directions and stopping at 45 degrees, 90 degrees, 180 degrees 360... etc.... but to a point where you can control it....  This above many other things will give you much better control of your aircraft.   Then try to start learning more about stalls and 'skids'.  

In the end ... try to get to a point where knowing how your airplane reacts, even in extreme situations, is second nature.

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
P-47 Thunderbolt
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2007, 12:01:48 AM »
Originally posted by Serenity
ALL of my kills are at about 135 mph on the deck in a flat turn. Its where I PWN! lol. But I cannot snap-roll.

I try not to get that slow.  But more times I do find myself low on the deck with about 3 cons behind me.  I try for the overshoot by using alot of rudder and sometimes using the dive flaps in the D-40 to slow me down even more.  I usually can get one more kill before I get blasted by a La-La or Spitty.  Experiment a little.  

One of the better sticks I've seen in the Jug is JensK.  I think he's with the 56th but I'n not so sure.  He flys Knights and is always willing to fly wing with somebody!   JensK!

To be completely honest, I have the utmost respect for Jug pilots.  And I definately have respect for anyone who flys a ride with an ENY more than 10!:aok

Good luck with it!

Obie:aok
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
P-47 Thunderbolt
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2007, 12:03:59 AM »
Obie you've been on channel alot lately haven't you..? Are you squadless?:)
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
P-47 Thunderbolt
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2007, 12:40:07 AM »
Originally posted by Obie303
I try not to get that slow.  But more times I do find myself low on the deck with about 3 cons behind me.  I try for the overshoot by using alot of rudder and sometimes using the dive flaps in the D-40 to slow me down even more.  I usually can get one more kill before I get blasted by a La-La or Spitty.  Experiment a little.  

I TRY to get there, simply because I find my Jug outperforms their planes, regardless of WHAT plane it is. It outturns Spitfires, and outlasts Hellcats.

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
P-47 Thunderbolt
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2007, 12:51:07 AM »
never push th envelope to much know the limits of your a/c like its a part of you.
lets just say i outturn spits most every day and i know my limit if i get caught up in to slow of a tnb and or get over fixated ill extend.  In the last week ive broken the wings off two of my ponys and lets just say i know how this plane preforms all because i got overfixated( big no no in all american rides) only option was to split s and guess what happend lol.  Ill take anyhting to scissors in a jug then whil the dipstick is scisoring at me i cut throttle flap up and wait for snapshot and boom guess what 8 50 cals do ;) have fun
freezman
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
P-47 Thunderbolt
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2007, 12:52:57 AM »
Originally posted by evenhaim
never push th envelope to much know the limits of your a/c like its a part of you.
lets just say i outturn spits most every day and i know my limit if i get caught up in to slow of a tnb and or get over fixated ill extend.  In the last week ive broken the wings off two of my ponys and lets just say i know how this plane preforms all because i got overfixated( big no no in all american rides) only option was to split s and guess what happend lol.  Ill take anyhting to scissors in a jug then whil the dipstick is scisoring at me i cut throttle flap up and wait for snapshot and boom guess what 8 50 cals do ;) have fun
freezman

Yes, the rolling scissors is KILLER in that plane. Its the ONLY plane I enjoy a sucussful rolling scissors, and I find it VERY sucessful. :t

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
P-47 Thunderbolt
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2007, 01:04:22 AM »
Originally posted by Husky01
Obie you've been on channel alot lately haven't you..? Are you squadless?:)

Hi there Bear.  Yes, I'm squadless.  Unfortunately, I have one of those jobs that requires me to be available 24/7.  I usually log on when I have some free time and the wife ack isn't too heavy.:D I'm lucky if I log 20 hours a month.

I usually tune to vox 156 or 171.  (Never tuned to 200 since I started AH).  Great bunch of people with the 56th and the 71st RAF!:aok

Obie
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
P-47 Thunderbolt
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2007, 06:51:48 AM »
Originally posted by Serenity
While I still want to be able to fly the D-11, and its my favorite overall, I find I work best with the D-40, and probably the N, but I refuse to fly any ENY=5 plane ;)  I just find I fly the heavier birds with a lot more sucess.

Strange. I find the N to be the worst of the lot. Less lethal due to even wider spread guns, turns worse and totaly dependent on WEP or it becomes the worst jug in climb and speed. Roll rate is nice. Somehow I get killed easily or just fly it into the ground every time I take it up. I do a lot better with the D11 and D25. Give the D11 a paddle blade prop and it will OWN the other jugs.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
P-47 Thunderbolt
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2007, 09:46:01 AM »
Here's a Jug hint:

On the N, take a drop tank and 25% fuel.

On all the rest take 50% and a drop tank.

Use the smallest ammo load.

Give that a spin.  Maybe 3 sorties.

What you discover will give you food for thought.  

There should be immediate food for thought if you're used to running the Jug with 1700 rounds of ammo and 75 to 100% fuel.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
P-47 Thunderbolt
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2007, 05:37:57 AM »
and probably the N, but I refuse to fly any ENY=5 plane

Utter bs that the N is 5. Nothing for HT to base that upon
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
P-47 Thunderbolt
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »
The N carries 2500lbs of bombs, 10 rockets, over 3000 rounds of ammo, and can carry this over much longer ranges than almost every other fighter in the game, and after it drops said ord it can easily dogfight using speed, high alt performance, rugged durability.

Hell if it WASN'T ENY5 I'm be yelling for it to be MADE ENY5!

A 47D with full internal fuel will get you about 30 minutes and change on full throttle. I would say NEVER take less than 50% (and only that in rare cases) and more often you should take 75% or 100%. If you take 100% you get the added bonus that your aux tank is filled. Considering the 47 takes fuel leaks like nobody's business, once you drop your DT (if applicable) switch manual burn to main tank. Once it's gone you RTB on aux. Also handy if your main tank is losing gas due to a 20mm sized hole in the tank.

It does perform better with the smallest weapons option and the least amount of fuel, but you'll only be able to fly/fight for about 7 minutes on 25%. I never was into "disposable planes" and even if I had no kills I have always enjoyed being able to RTB. The up-killoneinafurball-die/crash/auger/bail-so-you-don't-have-to-waste-time-landing fad is a bad thing and I would not encourage anybody to take it up as a habit.

EDITED: My apologies to HAP, thought he was talking about the 47D for a minute. Removed his name because it didn't apply to what I was talking about

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
P-47 Thunderbolt
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2007, 08:13:02 PM »
Thanks Krusty. Even for base defense I take at least 75% just because the MORE weight I can pile on to that plane, the better it flies for me. No idea why, but the heavier the better.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
P-47 Thunderbolt
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2007, 08:51:21 PM »
The N carries 2500lbs of bombs, 10 rockets, over 3000 rounds of ammo, and can carry this over much longer ranges than almost every other fighter in the game, and after it drops said ord it can easily dogfight using speed, high alt performance, rugged durability.

And how is this loadout more than D40?
As for range, D40 goes 40 min at full throttle, (WHO needs more than 40 min?)
N goes 43 min at 75% (WHO takes 100% in an N?---which is 59 min)

Climb: D40 climbs at 1260 fpm with said full load out
Climb: N climbs     at 923   fpm with full gas/loadout (960 or so fpm with 75% load)
(For comparison) Lancaster:  25% gas --(1 hour) 820 fpm

Climb: N       75% gas no ord 1918 fpm
Climb: D40 100% gas no ord 2260 fpm

With full load of ord, N climbs so mind numbing slowly with ord  that it easier to whack a base with lancs--takes the thing well over a sector to get from zero to 14k, where it is relatively safe to have such an overladen  pig. D40 beats the crap out of it in climb, is somewhat more nimble (Im starting to grasp why the 56th has it as their main ride) N has nearly 25 knots more than D40 at wep, which is its only real advantage in the MA, as I can see(that makes it faster than spit16 in level flight)---is that worth having same eny as Lghey?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
P-47 Thunderbolt
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2007, 01:17:13 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty

This is what the OBJ rating is for.  I think it should have a 5 OBJ for sure.  But a 5 ENY?  I'll never understand it.  It used to be 12.  Probably more balanced at that rating.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
P-47 Thunderbolt
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2007, 04:57:18 AM »
Bj229 is right. The N is far from the best jabo of the jug, but so few realize it. The only thing it will do better is use WEP to escape after the drop.

Krusty, this is partially true. I usually take 75%+DT on the D25/40. For the D11 I sometimes take up to 100%. However, you can get extreme milage out of the jug if you reduce MAP and RPM. The cruise home I usually do on "normal" settings in the E6B. If I want to loiter in some location I also reduce throttle/RPM. D25/40 with 50% and DT is very viable if you are in mind to fly economically. For the D11 this is still a little short.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs