Author Topic: Two massive car bombs found in London  (Read 4564 times)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Two massive car bombs found in London
« on: June 29, 2007, 04:10:59 PM »
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,70131-1272910,00.html

Police have confirmed that not one, but two massive car bombs were set to explode in the heart of London's West End.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
we all hate parking attendents but
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 04:16:22 PM »
luck was on our side last night with the lucky spotting of the first car bomb by amberlance men who became suspicious of a smoking car.

Also luck was with us when a illegaly parked car was towed away to a compound which was also a car bomb,for once the parking attendents wshould be  thanked for takeing away  the car .

today we have been lucky and as useual london carries on as normal.

luck be with us
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 04:39:04 PM »
What has been the official response from the new PM?  Wouldn't be surprised if part of the plan was to test the resolve of the new PM.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 04:43:13 PM »
Not sure how he would 'prove' his resolve. Launch an indescriminate bombing raid on Bradford?
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 05:13:35 PM »
They are saying they think it was a 'terror scare' but do they know or has anyone claimed responsibility?

Sure am glad they caught the bombs before detonation.  

to the cop for recognising the situation and doing something about it.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »
heres another viewpoint...

Larry C Johnson
No Quarter
Friday, June 29, 2007

So I turn on the telly this morning and find breathless CNN anchors hyperventilating over the nuclear suicide car weapon of mass destruction discovered smoldering outside of a London nightclub. One report from the scene notes that:

London police were contacted when witnesses saw a Mercedes being driven erratically near London West End night club Tiger Tiger, and the driver jumped out of the automobile and ran away. The car was reported to have two gasoline canisters and be full of nails.

CNN adds:

Explosives officers discovered the fuel and nails attached to a "potential means of detonation," inside the vehicle. Officers "courageously" disabled the trigger by hand, he said. Security sources told CNN that the "relatively crude device" in the first car contained at least 200 liters, or about 50 gallons, of fuel in canisters.

You know what you call a vehicle with 50 gallons of gas? A Cadillac Escalade. The media meltdown over this incident is simply shameful.

For starters, gasoline is not a high explosive. If we were talking 50 pounds of Semtex or the Al Qaeda standby, TATP, I would be impressed. Those are real high explosives with a detonation rate in excess of 20,000 feet per second. Gasoline can explode (just ask former owners of a Ford Pinto) but it is first and foremost an incendiary. If the initial reports are true, the clown driving the Mercedes was a rank amateur when it comes to constructing an Improvised Explosive Device aka IED. Unlike a Hollywood flick the 50 gallons of gas would not have shredded the Mercedes into lethal chunks of flying shrapenal.

The fact that "officers courageously disabled the trigger by hand" coupled with the report of the smoke in the car leads me to believe that the mad London "bomber" tried to construct a Molotov cocktail of sorts and lit a cloth fuze. Fortunately he left the windows in the car up and there was not enough oxygen to really get the fire going. Looks like the brave British police reached in and snuffed the flame.

Judging from the overreaction to this non-incident I think we can safely conclude that Osama Bin Laden will remain holed up in Pakistan and let the fear mongers at CNN, MSNBC, and FOX do the dirty business of scaring the **** out of people.

Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 05:45:48 PM »
Right, and if the fifty gallons of non explosive gas would have exploded and people were maimed and mutilated by nails, and car parts,  i wonder who he'd be making fun of then.

I say good job on preventing a potential disaster.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 05:58:20 PM by Speed55 »
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Flint

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 05:51:46 PM »
I reckon a if that caddie blew up Fester, it would make quite a big bang!

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 06:25:48 PM »
WTG you Brits.

Always one step beyond :aok
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 06:32:25 PM »
I was in that area on a night out last week, same situation when the London tube bombs went off, i was on the kings cross train exactly a week prior to when the suicide bombs went off then... kinda scary when you think how close to home it all is.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 06:34:15 PM »
"there are no car bombs in london" bagdad bob.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 06:35:06 PM »
maybe.
close enough bystanders not seeing a flaming car could get caught in the fire but I do not believe the fire would project the nails at a lethal velocity.

I happen to have much experience with nails and have had one of the nail guns which I have used for roofing get the safety tared up ejecting a 1 1/4 inch nail at around 120 psi max it will not break the skin after traveling more than a few feet. point blank sure but still like a gasoline fire the only means of velocity would be compressed gas or in this half baked IED attempt the ignited gas expanding instead of compressed air

still the point is this was a rank amateur defiling a nice car.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 06:37:40 PM »
Nice cars? they are ****ty old Mercedes.  Stand on a corner and watch the cars go past in the centre of London and you will see 50% worth $100k +
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 06:39:54 PM »
Bloody Gentry...ahhh, the humanity.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 06:40:52 PM »
aye my mistake on the mercedes as I unintentionally associated the name with quality automobiles not accounting for condition or location. (in the US they are high priced imports)