Author Topic: First Annual Aces High Recipe Swap  (Read 6758 times)

Offline Vad

• Nickel Member
First Annual Aces High Recipe Swap
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2007, 08:49:42 PM »
Good luck to find salmon caviar, you can't replace it by anything else.

If you need it anyway, I give you one more recipe.

Sour cream 14%, red salmon caviar, fresh cucumber, crab meat (can be replaced by made from fish) , small shrimps, dill.

Chop cucumber and crab meat on small peaces, chop dill, mix everything with cream. Proportion according to taste but general idea is everything should be equal.

Used for stuffing baked potatoes.

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2007, 09:26:36 PM »
Originally posted by Vad
Good luck to find salmon caviar, you can't replace it by anything else.

Very true.

Arkansas does produce caviar (believe it or not), but it is sub-standard by anyone's tastes, and Salmon Caviar here is almost impossible to find.

Any taste-possible options?

Possibly clams and clam sauce?

68ROX

Offline Vad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2007, 09:46:31 PM »
Originally posted by 68ROX
Very true.

Arkansas does produce caviar (believe it or not), but it is sub-standard by anyone's tastes, and Salmon Caviar here is almost impossible to find.

Any taste-possible options?

Possibly clams and clam sauce?

68ROX

Unfortunately not. Of course, black caviar is the option but I'm not Bill Gates :)

All that recipes comes from countries where salmon caviar is widespread.
Try to ask for canned salmon caviar in top level supermarkets like Loblaws in Canada (sorry, I'm not familiar with US chains),  sometimes they have Russian salmon caviar. At least I saw that cans in Aspen, Colorado.

PS: Just asked my wife,  she suggested to try chopped salt or smoked salmon instead. But, frankly, it won't be the same.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2007, 09:55:31 PM »
I L-O-V-E german food. There is a german community (Muenster, Tx.) not far from here. I make the Germanfest every April and the Oktoberfest every whenever that is. They also have 2 very good locker plants there that most of the locals take their deer to. They make some awesome deer sausage!
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2007, 10:00:12 PM »
open package Top Ramen noodles at one end.

remove beef season packet.

crush block of noodles while dumping into disposable gerenic "glad-ware" salad / side size container (no dish to clean).

microwave on high 2:45.

add season, and few drops of Tabasco, stir a few times.

eat.

thats about all I got, sorry.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2007, 10:03:13 PM »
Originally posted by Vad
OK:)
You will need half of whole salmon with skin, 1-2 kg of coarse salt, 200-300 g of sour cream 14%  or more, 200 g of salt red salmon caviar.
The last one is not easy to find but in Toronto or New York you can buy it in any Russian or Ukrainian deli.      

1. Pour out all salt into baking tray (dripping-pan). Salt should cover pan bottom  at least on few millimeters.
2. Put salmon on the salt skin down. Don't salt salmon and avoid contact of the salt with salmon meat, salt should  touch only salmon skin.  
3. Put tray into oven for 20 minutes till salmon will be ready, use fork to check.
4. Mix sour cream with caviar. Proportion is up to you, but usually half and half or a little bit more cream.
5. Put portion of the salmon on plate. To do that carefully separate salmon meat from the skin leaving skin on salt. Try to avoid contact of salt with the meat, grains of salt are not tasty.
6. Plentifully sauce salmon by the cream with caviar, serve with baked or cooked potatoes, asparagus, etc.

this sounds great!

I generally do Salmon with salt on foil, salmon on top of salt skin down, then pats of butter on top in a row.  Close foil and lay on grill! about 15 minutes, and careful not to overcook!

:aok Mark

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2007, 10:10:48 PM »
My wifey is a Great Sushi Chef.

I get food and bait for free!

:aok

Mac

Offline Vad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2007, 10:12:29 PM »
68ROX, it is not so difficult to find red caviar in the US.

http://www.caviar-line.com/caviar/customer/home.php?cat=434

And not expensive.

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2007, 10:14:03 PM »
Originally posted by rpm
I L-O-V-E german food. There is a german community (Muenster, Tx.) not far from here. I make the Germanfest every April and the Oktoberfest every whenever that is. They also have 2 very good locker plants there that most of the locals take their deer to. They make some awesome deer sausage!

South of y'all (& North of Austin) you've got to check out the Walburg Restaurant. It's incredible ~ not kidding.  Sooo worth the drive.

I don't really care about food ~ it's just one of those pesky little things we have to have to survive. If we could do without it, I would.  But this place is awesome.

http://www.walburgrestaurant.com/
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2007, 10:16:52 PM »
That sounds like a great road trip!
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2007, 10:21:46 PM »
Originally posted by rpm
That sounds like a great road trip!

It would be well worth the road trip even if you didn't live in Texas. Go RPM! And report on how awesome it is once you return. :D
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2007, 10:26:13 PM »
TxMom, you want to make a trip up here try Doug's Peach Orchard. It's just across the Red River in Terral, OK. Fried catfish and calf fries are their specialty. They've been around since 1948 so it's very old school and family friendly. Eating there is a tradition around here.
Also nearby is the World's Greatest Chicken Fried Steak. The Wild Onion is a little restaraunt out in the middle of nowhere.
http://hometown.aol.com/kitkat7310/myhomepage/business.html
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 10:30:02 PM by rpm »
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Vad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2007, 10:27:36 PM »
Originally posted by SkyRock
this sounds great!

I generally do Salmon with salt on foil, salmon on top of salt skin down, then pats of butter on top in a row.  Close foil and lay on grill! about 15 minutes, and careful not to overcook!

:aok Mark

Yep, it's the variant of the same method. On grill you have to cover by the foil, in oven it 's not necessary but sometimes I do that, depends on temperature and size of the fish.

But the main idea is the same - salmon or trout on the top of the salt skin down. Fish will take exact amount of salt from the air and through the skin, and you can't oversalt it.

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2007, 10:32:24 PM »
Originally posted by 68ROX

My AUNT made that very same cake every year for Christmas (she called it something else)...sadly, she passed away before I could get the recipe for it.  THANK YOU for providing the information to a 20+ year old recipe missing link!
68ROX

How wonderful!:)
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2007, 11:15:28 PM »
Gh0stFT

Gruss Gott.

I've lived in Germany for 4 Years in Bayreuth.

I know the Breakfast you've just mention and I miss it.

That just brought back memories.

Thanks,

:aok

Mac