Author Topic: On ethics – The HO, The RAM, The SPY – an informal poll.  (Read 3222 times)

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
On ethics – The HO, The RAM, The SPY – an informal poll.
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 01:18:17 AM »
Besides, he did a very good job of putting this poll together.  
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline UNIstrut

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007, 02:43:29 AM »
Nice Poll. Voted on all :)

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 03:53:15 AM »
The HO was NOT done in Real Life. Maybe on one or two accounts it would be done, but in RL they saw the risks of it. Usually both planes would go down. Usually wasn't such small numbers as we see in AHII so after you shoot down one or two, you can't come over your area vox and say your goin home, you gotta stay and fight till they either head for the hills or are all dead. (Persoanlly I wouldn't care much for fighting a A6m in a p38 [US's main primary fighter] with missing aeilrons, elevators, fuel hits, wing chunks missing etc...) If I were to engage zekes or KI's or something, I'd wanna STAY in my prime, not risk it for an easy kill/death. The HO was usually done widespread (20-50 guys lined up on each side) the few times it was done when it was, all the pilots regarded it as "Playing chicken" or "seeing which one would pull out of it first"
In other words, none wanted to do it. It's cheap, takes minimal skill, and WASN'T done in RL. It was not apart of the AF's for any country (even Germany's and they had ramming 109's, so, in all truth, you can argue that a 109 ramming a bomber is historically accurate)

But try not to confuse a HO for a HM (Hot Merge)
I love when your in a stall fight (usually my corsair) and on the merge, you pull the trigger and you get accused of a HO. HO's aren't in my bag of tricks (unless i'm in the 1c and they initiate it, then I let the 20mm's do the talking :] )
HM's and HO's are two different things with similar outcomes.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 03:55:24 AM by trigger2 »
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2007, 04:45:47 AM »
spam, what two threads?

You need another, is crying about someones post on the intertubez ethical or lame.

Offline Trukk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2007, 06:14:30 AM »
Originally posted by trigger2
The HO was NOT done in Real Life.

Sure it was, it certainly wasn't a pilot's first choice but guys often found themselves in that situation and duked it out.  I can think of several accounts I've read about, from the AVG to the Black Sheep where pilots describe doing head on attacks.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2007, 07:45:24 AM »
There is no ram, there are collisions, but to actually TRY to ram someone to cause damage, is 99999 to 1 against succeeding.

Next, if your going to cry foul to the HO make sure you get the definition right.
There is NO foul for a forward quarter shot in a turn or manuver fight.
Like duelers with the first merge "cold", first merge coming into someone I don't shoot. After that ANYTHING FLIPPING GOES, because your fighting for your life.

Ohh and yes it WAS used Extensively in the Pacific, were we had better armor, more guns, and could shoot and get out.

Multiple accounts make HTC money, thats what they are here for. You going to somehow shut them down? ROFLMAO, yeah right.  Let me give you a clue, call HT and talk to him for half an hour.

All the rest of the things your crying about are just that. Stuff to cry about.

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2007, 08:00:35 AM »
Originally posted by trigger2
The HO was NOT done in Real Life.

I have read many many accounts of head on passes in the War
XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^
Proudly serving since campaign #13
"No Rain?" ...."No Rainbow, baby!" ....Bootsey Collins 2009

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2007, 09:06:20 AM »
Good job on the poll.  Some terminology and ideas need to be polished a bit more.  Definitely relevant to get the communities opinion.  This method is so much better than the usual craptalk opinion threads we end up with.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Re: On ethics – The HO, The RAM, The SPY – an informal poll.
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2007, 11:09:02 AM »
The BOMB & BAIL

The CHUTE Kill

IMO the two worst violations are these.

Bomb and bail shows no skill or guts especially when they know someone is in pursuit of them.

Shooting chutes used to be considered one of the worst offenses someone could make against you in the game. It was a show of total lack of respect and hatred toward a player. There was no worse personal statement that could be made in Air Warrior to early Aces high.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Re: On ethics – The HO, The RAM, The SPY – an informal poll.
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2007, 11:30:41 AM »
Originally posted by A8TOOL

Shooting chutes used to be considered one of the worst offenses someone could make against you in the game. It was a show of total lack of respect and hatred toward a player. There was no worse personal statement that could be made in Air Warrior to early Aces high.

Right, that's why in AW people would wait till 800 above ground lvl to pull the ripcord.
See Rule #4

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Re: On ethics – The HO, The RAM, The SPY – an informal poll.
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2007, 12:12:02 PM »
Originally posted by A8TOOL

Shooting chutes used to be considered one of the worst offenses someone could make against you in the game. It was a show of total lack of respect and hatred toward a player.

If you bail where it doesn't matter, I'll ignore you. Float down & have fun.

However, if you hang in the air over my own vehicle base and spot GV's for your friends, or you bail over your own maproom for obvious reasons, I'll give you 10 seconds to type ".ef" - after that you go "splat". And that's not a matter of hatred.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2007, 12:43:10 PM »
Just a comment on head ons:

I don't really understand the problem some have with head ons. Sure, it may be a sign of lack of skill in some but newer flyers are going to take advantage of every shot they can get. They have to. It may be their last.

Besides, I figure head ons give me a 50/50 chance of survival. Regardless of how good a shot one might be, there's still internet lag and such that could run against you.

I rarely initiate a head on any more, but don't have problems with those who do.

Oh, and don't we agree that after the first pass it's not considered a head on? I was told that one flyer was poking fun at me on channel 200 (I don't use channel 200) boasting about how I tried to HO him and got my just rewards when he won the HO.

Well, we'd already been sparring for probably ten minutes when I made the choice of taking a frontal shot. It was either that, or let his compatriot have enough time to get back into the fight where I'd have two cons to deal with. I tried to take him out fast to try and clear the field to deal with his buddy.

As it was, I got shot down. I took a chance, after an extended fight and lost. What's the beef?

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2007, 12:45:14 PM »
Chutes are made to be shot.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2007, 12:52:08 PM »
Originally posted by Stang
Chutes are made to be shot.

I lost a good furby film or I'd post it.:t
See Rule #4

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2007, 02:09:43 PM »
i hate spys they are cheap and anyone that is convicted of being a spy should be baned and shot
snowey flying since tour 78