Author Topic: McCain vs. Presidential requirements  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
McCain vs. Presidential requirements
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2008, 10:18:40 AM »
SteveBailey: Your message doesn't seem to make a distinction between legal immigrants and illegals, you seem to use the terms interchangeably.   Could you clarify whether your concerns apply to both groups?
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2008, 10:24:56 AM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
The attacks on Kerry's war record made me sick, attacks on McCain's seem even worse. It is time for Americans to collectively put an end to this BS by shunning anyone who chooses to go the route of the rumor mongers. Freedom of speech is critical, but we don't have an obligation to listen.

...except of course, for this generation of Americans. This, the media-dependent one. The American public would have elected Montel if he chose to run. It used to be, that a military war record was just proof that a candidate was a good citizen. Now you're actually better off if you didn't serve at all. Look at Clinton, and actually, Bush jr. as well. Clinton dodged the draft, and Bush jr. sat out Vietnam in the ANG.

As a matter of fact, after the election, I DOUBLY respected John Kerry...I think running for President, knowing he would have everything laid open, showed he was more honest than any of his rivals. And the man DID go to Vietnam, and he DID go into combat. Which is more than what our current sweetheartbag can claim.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2008, 10:31:51 AM »
Well, I am firmly in favor of immigration reform. I also believe that we need to make English the national language. I don't think it is feasible to deport 12 million illegals, but I think we need to take steps to stem the tide. That includes some of the economic assistance that Clinton started with Mexico. The best way to slow immigration from the south is to make staying in Mexico a valid choice for starving people.

You don't have a choice on where your tax dollars go now. They are controlled for good or bad by the government, and the so-called conservatives haven't had any trouble spending more of it than anyone in the past. I think spending it on health care and other social programs (some of which I admit have been failures) will be more beneficial to our continued wellbeing than the boondoggle in Iraq and the billions wasted there.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2008, 10:31:58 AM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
The attacks on Kerry's war record made me sick, attacks on McCain's seem even worse. It is time for Americans to collectively put an end to this BS by shunning anyone who chooses to go the route of the rumor mongers. Freedom of speech is critical, but we don't have an obligation to listen.

Kerry's war record is not in the same league as McCain's. Who has been attacking McCain's?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2008, 10:36:31 AM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Kerry's war record is not in the same league as McCain's. Who has been attacking McCain's?

http://www.vietnamveteransagainstjohnmccain.com/cin_hopper_video.htm

Same BS as the attacks on Kerry.

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2008, 10:47:29 AM »
Originally posted by AKIron

Vietnam Veterans Against John McCain claim that McCain got medical treatment as a POW in exchange for providing military information to his captors, information that led to US planes being shot down.

In 2000, Bush and company insinuated that McCain was the illegitimate birth father of the child they adopted from Bangladesh.

It's called SwiftBoating.
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2008, 10:47:42 AM »
Originally posted by FrodeMk3
It does. But sadly, I really doubt that John McCain is the great unifier. I'm convinced that there are now too many factors' in this country that divide it, to ever have it wholeheartedly say it's one nation, indivisible, anymore.

The media of this great country is the one who causes the big political  rifts in our society, they have since the start!
if they decide we will be one again then presto, we are indivisible! WOW
 In the early years of this country the paper was the big tool , candidate's were lied about on a daily basis with no checks and balances to correct this problem, the reason it   happened then is the same as it is now, it sells news. if we all agree, then there is nothing to report,
the media goes broke!
free press is very important to the fabric of our survival, almost as important as true and fair press, somebody forgot to put that in the bill of rights i guess. i hear  paul harvey say it all the time "self goverment cannot work without self dicipline" it should apply to free speech as well dont speculate and call it news, find the fact's and report them as such!
 What we have seen in the last 40 years is that our goverment has been listening more and more, to what the media has to say, and acting on this information instead of common sence and the basic principle of freedom, (I.E. seatbelts save lives) to heck with your rights,(i heard a policeman say recently we have too protect the people from themselves, they can't be trusted do do what is right!) we need the support of the people to stay in power, to get that support we must do as the media wants, as they feed the people's minds!
Some of the best leaders we have are the ones we tend to hate or make fun of because we are fed that line thru TV and print and radio (they only want to serve themselves we say  or he is an idiot) do we really know these polititions or do we just know what someone else said about them, the media hates them because they can't be swayed!
The very definition of leadership  goes contrary to what we expect now thanks to the media,but i'll give it too you in my terms!

To lead well means to take the very best info you have, good or not, right or wrong, and act accordingly hopeing for the best result, expecting the worst and standing strong with your decision's, not wavering to gain anything other than success!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2008, 11:02:31 AM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
SteveBailey: Your message doesn't seem to make a distinction between legal immigrants and illegals, you seem to use the terms interchangeably.    

I didn't use them interchangeably, I was being lazy by not typing "illegal". I edited it, hope it clears it up .

Once again, I've asked our liberal friends about who was doing the jobs illegals will only do, before illegals came here.....

*crickets*
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 11:56:54 AM by SteveBailey »

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2008, 01:31:30 PM »
It's called SwiftBoating.
====
No that garbage is called attempted character assassination and should never be confused with swiftboating.

Swiftboating is unique in that it has only one prerequisite: You must be named John Kerry and testify before a congressional commitee so that your anti american assanine traitorous words can be replayed for all to hear over and over again into perpeptuity.

Kerry is one unique rodeo clown.  I will give him that
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2008, 04:50:26 PM »
Originally posted by SteveBailey
These are not rhetorical questions, MT.  I knwo you yo  be reasonable and thoughtful so please help me out here.

What is not "evil" about liberlism to an American? Seriously?

'snip'

You made it clear that you find liberalism being called "evil" offensive.  Tell me, what's good about liberalism?

http://www.zeppscommentaries.com/Other_Voices/all_the_good_of_liberalism.htm

I admit I got help from the intertubes...

Interstate Highway System

era: 1950's-present
Proposed by Roosevelt and erected by Eisenhower (a Republican), the Interstate system was a big government project. As much as anything else in the post WWII era, the Interstate is responsible for tremendous economic growth, prosperity, and has spawned an entire culture.

GI Bill

era: 1950's
This act of Congress enabled millions upon millions of Americans to get college educations, something that most Americans had never had the opportunity to do previously. An entire generation of leaders, scientists, and business people owe their education to the GI Bill.

Labor Laws

era: 1930's-present
An end to child labor, 40 hour work weeks, the right of employees to collectively bargain, overtime pay, workplace safety, all of the things we take for granted today are thanks to liberal laws passed in the first half of this century. It was the conservatives who fought tooth and nail against the end of sweatshops and exploitation.

Marshall Plan

era: late 1940's-1950's
Foreign aid is a popular scapegoat these days. Those who would cut it should look back at the Marshall Plan, which rebuilt Europe, and is the major reason that Communism never made it past East Berlin.

Environmental Laws

era: 1970's-present
The environment has gotten much better in the last 30 years thanks to liberals. Bald Eagles fly once again thanks to endangered species laws, most rivers and lakes are clean again due to anti-pollution laws, and frequent smog days are a thing of the past in most big American cities.

Food safety laws

era: 1910's-present
Ever read Sinclair's "The Jungle?" That's what things were really like before food purity laws were on the books. Today cases of food poisoning are rare, and consumers know that whatever they buy is safe to eat.

Workplace safety laws

Long hours in unsafe conditions are much rarer today than in the past. Tragedies such as the Triangle Shirtwaist fire and child labor have been eliminated by liberal and progressive legislation.

Social Security

era: 1930's-1970's
This program has provided three generations of Americans retirement benefits, and nearly eliminated poverty among the elderly. The program is weakening now, but for 50 years it did its job to a T.

Economic Growth

era: 1950's-1960's
Liberalism and economic prosperity go hand-in-hand. Unlike the pseudo-boom of the 1980's, the 1950's and 1960's were a period of sustained and real growth for all sectors of the economy and all social classes. Taxes were fair, government worked, and America prospered under both Democratic and Republican administrations

Space Program

It was Kennedy who challenged us to make it to the moon, and it is under his and Johnson's administrations that the space program took off, with numerous benefits to American industry and peoples' standard of living, not to mention national pride. If you are reading this on a computer, thank the space program and the liberals who got it going.

Peace corps

era: 1960's-present
Kennedy inspired thousands of Americans to ask what they could do for their country, and the Peace Corps is his most visible and effective legacy

Civil rights movement

Liberal ideals drove the biggest change in American society since the Civil War, the civil rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s. All Americans who believe in freedom and opportunity cannot help but be inspired by the valiant struggles of MLK and others. Also recall if you will that the major opponents of civil rights were conservatives.

The Tennessee Valley project

era: 1930's
The Depression-era government program bought electricity to thousands of impoverished families in Appalachia, prevented floods, and created thousands of new jobs.

Women's right to vote

era: 1920's-present
Before 1920, half of America's population could not exercise the essential duty of citizenship.

Universal Public Education

era: 1890's-present
The reason America is so strong economically is because we have a well-educated citizenry. Public schooling is the true melting pot of America, where every student, regardless of economic background can be taught the basics of citizenship. It is no coincidence that in the last 20 years, as conservatives have greatly weakened the public school system, that American students have scored lower on tests and our civic society has started to unravel.

National Weather Service

This is one of those things you never think about, but you are glad its there. Far from just forecasting the weather, the NWS also provides vital data to pilots and sailors, and the NWS satellites and observation posts provide the raw data that all other weather forecasting services (private ones too!) depend on.

Product Labeling/Truth in Advertising Laws

"We take it for granted that if a claim is made publicly for a product, it's reasonable to assume it's true. Plus, every time we check the ingredients on a can or package of food, we should mentally call down blessings on the liberals who passed the necessary legislation over the anguished howls of the conservatives, who were convinced such info would be prohibitively expensive, and too big a burden on business."

Public Health

Government funded water and sewage systems are an important part of modernity. In addition, organizations such as the National Institute of Health and the Center for Disease Control play an important part in maintaining the national health and preventing epidemics through research, vaccination programs, etc.

Morrill Land Grant Act

era: late 1800's
This act is the reason why nearly every state in the Union has a large public university. These centers of learning have educated untold millions of Americans. If you went to a school with a state name in it, then you were helped by liberalism.

Rural Electrification

era: 1930's-1960's
This allowed remote, rural areas of the country the basic convenience of electricity. I am sure that those of us using computers on the internet, sitting in our air conditioned homes, under our electric lights consider electricity a basic necessity - one that the pure market would never have found profitable to provide to isolated farming communities.

Public Universities

era: 1890's-present day
Put a college education within the reach of nearly every American. In addition to education, many of these institutions have played key roles in all kinds of scientific research and been a strong influence on our entire society.

Bank Deposit Insurance

era: 1930's-present day
About 1934, as part of extensive New Deal banking legislation, Congress created the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) to provide federal insurance for bank deposits.  This was instrumental in restoring confidence in our nation's banks, and remains so to this day.

Earned Income Tax Credit

era: 1970's-present day
Reduces the tax burden for working families who make under $28,500.00 You have to earn income to get it. It is not a handout. It's a great incentive for families to stay off welfare. But the atmosphere has changed in Washington, and Republicans had to find a way to pay for their capital-gains tax cut, and EITC was their ticket to success. So, the Republicans voted to cut this program by $29 billion over a certain time frame. Well guess what?   They just raised the taxes on lower income working families.

Family and Medical Leave Act

era: 1993-present day
This is a program which mandates that you have the right to job leave to take care of sick family members, or to have a child. Many conservatives were opposed to this valuable piece of legislation. Perhaps they were opposed to family values?

Consumer Product Safety Commission

era: 1972-present day
These guys regulate consumer products for safety. Everything from sharp (and edible) baby toys to flammable pjamas have been taken off the market due to the work of this commission.

Public Broadcasting

era: 1930's-present day
Millions of our children have learned from shows like Sesame Street, 3-2-1 Contact,  and Mister Rogers (and so many more). Millions of adults continue to learn from shows like Nova. Also, the best broadcast journalism is by far National Public Radio. PBS and NPR have served to enrich our national culture.

Americans With Disabilities Act

era: 1990-present day
Civil rights for disabled citizens. It is fair, just, and it is the law of the land. Credit where credit is due, former Senator Bob Dole helped push this through, a rare nod in favor of liberalism from Mr. Dole.

Offline bsdaddict

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2008, 05:26:18 PM »
lol, just read a new euphemism for McCain...  Captain Amnesty!  I think I like that better than 100-year-war-McCain, but it's close...  ;)

Offline bsdaddict

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2008, 05:31:41 PM »

Offline DYNAMITE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.texasaircav.com/
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2008, 07:41:26 PM »
It kills me to see McCain being "swift boated" by members of his own party.

John McCain isn't conservative?  Please!  There was more to the Republican party before social conservatives hi-jacked it and turned it into what it is today.

McCain is a Republican in the ilk of Eisenhower, Goldwater, Nixon (yes... i'll say it - he wasn't all bad / just mostly :lol ) and Ford... he even, (dare i invoke the name of the Gods Gift to the White House) reminds me in some ways of Reagan in his ability to work with the opposition.

But here you are (repubs) raking him over the coals.  

If you want a democrat in office in 09 then keep it up.  I know i won't mind.  But out of principle, I can't sit by and be quiet while a man like McCain is abused by Limbaugh's minions.  

It just boggles the mind

:rolleyes: :huh :rolleyes: :huh

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2008, 07:43:42 PM »
Originally posted by DYNAMITE
It kills me to see McCain being "swift boated" by members of his own party.

John McCain isn't conservative?  Please!  There was more to the Republican party before social conservatives hi-jacked it and turned it into what it is today.

McCain is a Republican in the ilk of Eisenhower, Goldwater, Nixon (yes... i'll say it - he wasn't all bad / just mostly :lol ) and Ford... he even, (dare i invoke the name of the Gods Gift to the White House) reminds me in some ways of Reagan

I stopped reading here when I realized that you were totally full of ****.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline bsdaddict

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2008, 08:13:02 PM »
Yeah, McCain the conservative, who in 2005 sponsored S.1033, the Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act, which in addition to granting amnesty to undocumented aliens who pass a few tests and pay a fine, also contained a provision which directed US federal agencies to come up with a plan to expand health coverage into Mexico and gave insurance companies the privilege to help devise said plan.

S.1033 had 9 additional cosponsors, including such conservative icons as Ted Kennedy, Joe Lieberman, John Kerry and (drumroll please...) Barack Obama.