Author Topic: My high school makes the Drudge Report  (Read 1799 times)

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
Re: My high school makes the Drudge Report
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2008, 11:53:43 AM »
You know, that`s pretty interesting considering that I, nor any of my family, friends  or people I have spoken to have ever been asked or polled on this subject.
We have been having an ongoing discussion around here about this very fact as of late.
Can`t really see how 74% percent could be an accurate.........or even close, not to mention truthful figure when
it doesn`t include all Americans..............just the ones to support said poll.
Polls will always turn out in tune with the  intended outcome of the poll takers when those polled are selected to do so.

You are speaking from a position you know nothing about, Jackal.  Forming an opinion from that position as well, I might add.

Do you have an unlisted phone number?  You will not be polled if it is unlisted.  Also, you are asked at the outset of the poll, if you would like to participate, prior to any subject being asked.  If you say yes, then they start.  If you say no, they say "thank you" and hang up.  You have no knowledge of the actual polling "subject"  until roughly halfway into a 10 minute or so conversation. 

I've been polled 3 times in ten years...one of which I declined.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2008, 12:05:25 PM »
truth in polls, 74% of the 1000 people we called said................
yeah, thats a accurate cross section of 300 million people.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2008, 04:24:46 PM »
You are speaking from a position you know nothing about, Jackal.  Forming an opinion from that position as well, I might add.

If those who are not polled are not included in your 74% fairy tale , then it is untruthful and very unacurate.
Not an opinion, just a fact. You can`t say 74% of Americans are for or against anything unless 100% are polled.
Polls are commonly steered in the best interest of the ones taking the poll to begin with.
Naive people will bite off in anything if you serve it on a silver platter.

Do you have an unlisted phone number?

You taking a poll?  :rofl
No it is not unlisted.

Like I said earlier, we have an ongoing discussion going on around here on this very subject. It`s been quite an eye opener.

I've been polled 3 times in ten years

Just takes once for a Hereford.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 04:34:14 PM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2008, 08:38:32 PM »

More accurate than your grammar. :rofl
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2008, 08:44:22 PM »
If those who are not polled are not included in your 74% fairy tale , then it is untruthful and very unacurate.
Not an opinion, just a fact. You can`t say 74% of Americans are for or against anything unless 100% are polled.
Polls are commonly steered in the best interest of the ones taking the poll to begin with.
Naive people will bite off in anything if you serve it on a silver platter.

You taking a poll?  :rofl
No it is not unlisted.

Like I said earlier, we have an ongoing discussion going on around here on this very subject. It`s been quite an eye opener.

Just takes once for a Hereford.

It all depends upon the analysis.  I personally agree that 1000 is a very bad number to extrapolate from...yet, I'm also a scientist that wants the most precise, pinpoint data I can get.   The statistics behind it come up with the percentages, and can be very accurate with small numbers.  It's almost un-nerving sometimes. 
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2008, 08:10:34 AM »
Yeah......it`s unnerving alright. It`s unnerving that anyone would be so naive as to bite off into it.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2008, 08:14:45 AM »

Yeah I polled around 20 people in the neighborhood yesterday about the Iraq war.
All 20 supported it.
So.............I guess by the same token used on the other poll I could say that 100% of  Texans supports the Iraq war.
Just about as truthful and accurate as Billary`s claim to be a Rambo incarnate .

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2008, 08:22:58 AM »
moray..  oh wait..  now it is between 66 and 74% of the 100 people polled oppose the war.

Why can't they give an accurate number?  perhaps a lot were confused on what opposed means?   I am opposed to any war.. they are a bad thing but that doesn't mean they are not necessary.

I had seen a poll a while back that said something like 80% of the people polled did not favor an immediate surrender...er "pull out"

Wonder what a poll that asked "do you favor us surrendering in Iraq?"  would look like.

That is like asking soldiers..  "do you like being here and fighting?"   

"oppose" is not precise enough.   no one likes war.   I would like to see the wording of the poll.

never seen a poll that had a range (66-74%) on a simple yes or no opinion..  what were the choices? Yes/no/undecided and... whatever you want to list me as?

lazs

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2008, 08:31:36 AM »
moray.. also.. in every poll I find... the USA today one for instance...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-06-12-poll_x.htm

They say that a little less than 60% of the people think we should pull out all or SOME of our troops soon.. that is a far cry from 74% wanting to cut and run.   only 52% say it wasn't worth it.

CNN says that 61% "oppose" the war as you put it.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-06-12-poll_x.htm

lazs

Offline Thruster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2008, 08:44:19 AM »
From what I've seen recently 70% of the population couldn't even find Iraq on a map. But they almost all know Simon Cowell (I had to google his last name so I feel sufficiently humbled).

I'm just curious what this 1 1/2 page pi%&ing contest has to do with the original subject.

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2008, 10:21:17 AM »
Yeah......it`s unnerving alright. It`s unnerving that anyone would be so naive as to bite off into it.

Sir, how do you think they "predict"  elections with less than 1% of the votes counted, and come up right around 99% of the time?  It's from "exit polling" and the statistical analysis of such.
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2008, 10:37:07 AM »
"Exit polling" is hardly the same thing. It's a far far different thing to ask someone who they voted for vs asking a series of loaded questions to achieve a desired result.

I have absolutely no trust in any poll where I cannot examine the questions used, the location and determination of where and how the poll was conducted and the analysis used to determine the statistics gathered in any poll.

You can make a poll come out any way you want by wording the questions properly and cherry picking the polling location and or population.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2008, 11:18:58 AM »
Sir, how do you think they "predict"  elections with less than 1% of the votes counted, and come up right around 99% of the time?  It's from "exit polling" and the statistical analysis of such.

You got to be kidding..........right?
Oranges/apples

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2008, 11:21:38 AM »
You can make a poll come out any way you want by wording the questions properly and cherry picking the polling location and or population.

Yeah.........I think that they come up with the term cross section , relating to polls like this "Cross this section off because that`s not the results we wish".  :rofl

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2008, 11:45:50 AM »
Here is an update of what occurred.
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/03/25/vets-for-freedom-report-from-the-minnesota-front/

My sister (who still lives in Forest Lake) said that the school district was overwhelmed with letters supporting the VFF and shaming the principal for his poor decision. (Remember, the Principal and VFF had made an agreement prior to the arrangements that VFF would NOT talk about the politics of the Iraq War)