Author Topic: LA7 Dweeby?  (Read 2672 times)

Offline kamilyun

• Silver Member
Re: LA7 Dweeby?
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2008, 09:44:56 PM »
My stats from Tour 97 where I was trying to fly mostly Russian planes:

47 kills 16 deaths in a Yak 9U  K/D = 2.9
38 kills 7 deaths in an La 7  K/D = 5.4

I'd be interested to know other players' stats.  Based on my experience...the La7 is uber.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2008, 10:56:10 PM »
Based on my experience...the La7 is uber.

It is uber, in the hands of someone capable (such as yourself).   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2008, 11:06:32 PM »
This tour I have

killed 6 La-7s, and have been killed by them 0 times.
killed 8 Spit16s, and have been killed by them 1 time when I was in a 110G doing ground attack.

The main reason for these stats is that I am rarely fighting below 5k ft, where both of these "uber" rides perform the best.  Whenever I see an La-7 I make sure to get up to 10k ft real quickly: problem solved.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2008, 12:47:32 AM »
So before the Arena Split, me landing pelts of 2 La7's, a Niki and a Spixteen, while in a Spit Mk. 1 isn't something?    3 of them were well known sticks.   FM2's don't stand a chance when I'm in a Ki-61.   Well, lazs is the exception to this rule.   

Oh, wasting stuff with .303s is always challenging, anything besides the canopy shot is nigh useless. And EW planes tend to draw gangs. (Which is illogical, they are usually highly maneuverable planes being flown by a skilled sticks...the LAST place one would go looking for an easy kil) Spit1 has a respectable edge on all three as a turner though, so if a co-E angles fight can be forced, Spit1 will maul 'em.

As for FM2s vs. Teis, I'm guessing it is the pilot, not the plane.

Planes I think it takes an AHII genius to fly successfully against the LW set consistently are the ones that are double disadvantaged, they both turn worse and are slower than many ubiquitous LW aircraft. Right off the top of my head, the FW-190As, the A-20, Mossie, P-40, arguably even the P-38 fits this criteria. I could probably think of a few more. . There are some other aircraft like the Stuka, Val, and SBD which are nifty turners but are so under-armed that people winning dogfights in them have to be amazing snipers.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2008, 02:12:32 AM »
Psst!  Here may be the key to the whole thing. 

Fly whatever the heck you have fun in.  Go ahead and fly it however you see fit.  keep in mind that if it really matters to you that in the end the crowd can recognize who the good sticks are and who the guys are getting there 'attaboys' for landing a dozen vulches.

As Phan is apt to remind me often, I'm a midwar plane snob in my 38G.  I don't care what you are driving as I'll try and fight ya in it.  If you get me, more power to you, and if I get you, well....you need to work on your 'flying' as I shouldn't be able to shoot you down :)

One of the interesting things to me in Latewar is if I see an FM2, I figure it's probably Laz.   If I see a Ki-61, I figure it's probably karaya.  If I see a 109F it's probably Aspen, in particular if it's got a yellow nose on it.  If it's a black and white nosed 51D down low, it's more then likely OlDemon.  P40E and it's FiltH or FlyinFin.  If it's a K4 it's probably a Muppet.  If it's a 38J I'll watch him closer then a 38L as he's probably looking for a fight instead of bombing a hanger.  If its an F4U1A I'll watch closer then a 1D for the same reasons. I think we all tend to watch for those folks and worry a lot less about the rest.

If it's an LA7 or Spit 16 I hope they stay and fight but I don't count on it.  If it's high D9s, Tiffies and Ponies, I figure I'll just spend my time avoiding the BnZ and hope they get bored.

But again, I'm a 38G snob and I'll give ya my best shot regardless of how and what you fly cause I'll probably be lower and I'm too slow to run :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2008, 03:23:36 AM »
I cant even remember the last time I've seen an LA7 in the MA..

I had to check my extended stats (IE ONLY OF COURSE!  :) ) to see. im 7 and 5 against them, in like 90 hours this month.. compared to spit16's and 51d's, and even p38's and 190's, the la7 is an oddity!

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2008, 05:06:28 AM »
My stats from Tour 97 where I was trying to fly mostly Russian planes:

47 kills 16 deaths in a Yak 9U  K/D = 2.9
38 kills 7 deaths in an La 7  K/D = 5.4

I'd be interested to know other players' stats.  Based on my experience...the La7 is uber.

Based on my experience the Yak is more uber...  :t

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2008, 07:42:05 AM »
Oh, wasting stuff with .303s is always challenging, anything besides the canopy shot is nigh useless. And EW planes tend to draw gangs. (Which is illogical, they are usually highly maneuverable planes being flown by a skilled sticks...the LAST place one would go looking for an easy kil) Spit1 has a respectable edge on all three as a turner though, so if a co-E angles fight can be forced, Spit1 will maul 'em.

As for FM2s vs. Teis, I'm guessing it is the pilot, not the plane.

Planes I think it takes an AHII genius to fly successfully against the LW set consistently are the ones that are double disadvantaged, they both turn worse and are slower than many ubiquitous LW aircraft. Right off the top of my head, the FW-190As, the A-20, Mossie, P-40, arguably even the P-38 fits this criteria. I could probably think of a few more. . There are some other aircraft like the Stuka, Val, and SBD which are nifty turners but are so under-armed that people winning dogfights in them have to be amazing snipers.
A well placed 2 second burst on a wing saws it right off.   

That is the MAJORITY of it, the pilot, not the plane. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2008, 08:02:18 AM »
So before the Arena Split, me landing pelts of 2 La7's, a Niki and a Spixteen, while in a Spit Mk. 1 isn't something?    3 of them were well known sticks.   FM2's don't stand a chance when I'm in a Ki-61.   Well, lazs is the exception to this rule.   

Conversely ... KI-61s don't stand a chance when I am in an FM2 ...  :D

xdak, another BK is pure magic in an FM2 ... and another old buddy from the 13th TAS ... Sax ... is one hell of an FM2 stick.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #114 on: May 26, 2008, 08:04:29 AM »
Conversely ... KI-61s don't stand a chance when I am in an FM2 ...  :D

xdak, another BK is pure magic in an FM2 ... and another old buddy from the 13th TAS ... Sax ... is one hell of an FM2 stick.
You still got what I was getting at though.  I rarely see you in the MA anymore Slappy.   :rock
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2008, 08:17:25 AM »
You still got what I was getting at though.  I rarely see you in the MA anymore Slappy.   :rock

Well ... besides it being a total fluster cluck inhabited by very angry people ... I don't get very good frame rates in there, and I don't know why ... I have a nice V-card.

:salute
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline E2hawkey

• Zinc Member
« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2008, 08:32:28 AM »
 i skydive far too much  cause of standing in the "idont HO line"  but now its when in Rome do as bla bla  spend less time under the silk now  and the ethic sting subsides  detune 200 iand like magic your not an anything Dweeb any more im loyal too my Nikki ... and my.. 51D for attack well then theres my f6f... however theres my... {kidding}
sandman

Offline LCCajun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2008, 08:56:11 AM »
nevermind
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 09:26:43 AM by LCCajun »
Ingame ID: Cajon

"SlapShot
There is no shame in putting up a good fight and dieing."
"You never know how strong you are til being strong is the only choice you have" Unknown author

Offline Goat1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2008, 09:29:26 AM »
no opinon, just wanted to get my 100th post in.
"Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer." — Major Thomas B. 'Tommy' McGuire, USAAF

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #119 on: May 26, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
I've done it many times in a Spit.   5 on 1, if I give you details on what happened, I'll "come across as condescending".   In short, I had 4 kills within a minute and a half, and the 5th ran.

I've turn fought in 152's against 2 La7's, shot one down and the other turned tail and ran.   I rtb'd with OddCAF who couldn't believe what had just happened.

I realize I suck, but it ISN'T the plane, it's the person behind it.   

I'll tell a story on your behalf since you are being humble.  Several of us were shot down and we left Karaya all alone over an enemy Abase.  We all upped to fly the 30 miles back to that base and asked what was going on over there.  He said the 6-7 fighters that were there, are still there. We said that we would hurry as fast as we could.  He says, "Don't worry about."   We are almost there and here he comes flying back toward our base.  He had shot them all down...   I giggled in a silly fashion and wished that I were 20% as good as that.  Its the pilot, not the plane. 

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom