Author Topic: LA7 Dweeby?  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: LA7 Dweeby?
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2008, 07:35:01 AM »
They surely wont win every time, MIGHT win one such engagement out of 10....but that ONE win counts for more than a hundred easy kills with an La7 or a 16, IMO

And many agree with you.  :aok

<S>...-Gixer

Offline E2hawkey

• Zinc Member
Re: LA7 Dweeby every thing dweeb
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2008, 08:01:08 AM »
 the old saying goes dammed if ya do! dammed if ya dont!  people will complain ,just for the sake of it !no matter the plane, tactic, or use of asset( ie ack hugging, space munki alt}things like this   best way to beat this problem ?>> detune 200 and squelch  :salute
sandman

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2008, 09:19:20 AM »
<-------- Tour 100 Spit XVI Dweeb (And proud of it)

[EDIT]  I just watched The Battle of Britan again the other night for the first time in like 100 years.  LOVED those take-off and landing scenes with the Hurris and Spits and makes me want to take it to some 109's (except my own K4 :) ).

BTW, why don't we have grass/dirt landing strips/airfields?  I bet there were a lot more of those during the war than paved.

But we do have grass/dirt strips that you can land on but since it might be 0.01 of an inch off the pavement, you would have a ditch.  I frigging never could grasp why you can land anywhere on an airfield or vehicle base and get a ditch because you just weren't entirely on the pavement.  It seems that all fields are strictly modeled on aircraft carriers for landing purposes.  But why can we take off out of a hanger and run across that grass and get a successful takeoff?  Oh and since we've drifted off topic anyways, BOB was a great movie and those merlin engine 109's and HE-111's were awesome.  Was a great shot when that nose gunner on one of the 111's took it in the eye.

All the Best...

Jay
 awDoc1

PS.. I believe BOB was released in 1969 and had Michael York, Michael Cain, and Christopher Plummer.  I've still got a copy of it on VHS and I know that it was released on DVD also.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 09:22:04 AM by doc1kelley »
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2008, 10:03:23 AM »
Sorry Bj229er and Anaxogoras.  I might have gone a little over the edge last night.

I had a few drinks and was frustrated to boot as I went online and my "I had a dream" post came partially true.  Everytime I saddled up on an opponent, my guns would spurt two bullets then quit.  It took me 4 deaths of testing and off-line testing to confirm.  I guess the Saitek ST290 Pro is a POS.  The main trigger quit after 2 months!

Off to Best buy this morning to try an Aviator, then RMA this to newegg for replacement. 

I still say flying a FM2 vs a Spit XVI doesn't give you bigger balls.  Mine are exactly the same size as they were the last time I flew a Hurri I, F4F, A6M2, Spit I, BF109E-4 or any other EW ride.  I can post exact dimensions if you'de like :)
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2008, 10:13:40 AM »
LOL, ok I'll package my comment differently--I've seen guys who can jump into a 1 on 5 with a D-25 or an A8 and wipe the floor with them---If you forever fly La7's or Spit16's you can never be that guy

Why?
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2008, 10:14:09 AM »
I can post exact dimensions if you'de like
EEEEEeeuuuuueeeeeewwwwww that's ok :O
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2008, 10:19:02 AM »
EEEEEeeuuuuueeeeeewwwwww that's ok :O
He's just itching to try out his new micrometer. ;)
See Rule #4

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2008, 10:21:51 AM »

I still say flying a FM2 vs a Spit XVI doesn't give you bigger balls.  Mine are exactly the same size as they were the last time I flew a Hurri I, F4F, A6M2, Spit I, BF109E-4 or any other EW ride.  I can post exact dimensions if you'de like :)

wow!! mad props!!

do the rest of you realize how hard it is to reserve time on an electron 'scope?

:aok
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2008, 10:22:32 AM »
Ive never seen anyone survive a 5 on 1 unless they ran and spread the fight out. Most of all in a D-25 or an A8 cause they are one dimensional.

I dont care if your the cartoon version of Jimmy Doolittle your not going to turn fight with success in a FW-run90 A8.

They are both B,Z, and run. So I'll pass on "being that guy".
I've done it many times in a Spit.   5 on 1, if I give you details on what happened, I'll "come across as condescending".   In short, I had 4 kills within a minute and a half, and the 5th ran.

I've turn fought in 152's against 2 La7's, shot one down and the other turned tail and ran.   I rtb'd with OddCAF who couldn't believe what had just happened.

I realize I suck, but it ISN'T the plane, it's the person behind it.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2008, 10:22:38 AM »
He's just itching to try out his new megcrometer. ;)

Corrected.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2008, 10:25:24 AM »
Your still itching though. ;)
See Rule #4

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2008, 10:33:12 AM »
Ummm...The FM2 v. Spit16 thing is actually a terrible example. This is because, the FM2 turns tighter, and the average pilot, especially if he is exclusively a Spit man, knows little of E fighting and mainly fights by hauling back on the stick. So the FM2 can actually be a typical Spit16 pilot's worst nightmare, it will tend to get on his six and stay there unless the Spit guy runs.

It is NOT an amazing feat of pilot whoop-de-doo to win a turnfight with an EW bird against a LW one, IF that EW bird happens to have a miniscule turn radius compared to whatever LW brick it is fighting.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2008, 12:11:36 PM »
Sorry Bj229er and Anaxogoras.  I might have gone a little over the edge last night.

I had a few drinks and was frustrated to boot as I went online and my "I had a dream" post came partially true.  Everytime I saddled up on an opponent, my guns would spurt two bullets then quit.  It took me 4 deaths of testing and off-line testing to confirm.  I guess the Saitek ST290 Pro is a POS.  The main trigger quit after 2 months!

Off to Best buy this morning to try an Aviator, then RMA this to newegg for replacement. 

:lol Ok baldeagl, no hard feelings of course...  What if I said flying a P-40 gives you bigger cartoon balls? :rofl
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2008, 03:48:39 PM »
Actually agree with a few points there.

For all the bashing on the La-7, I rarely get killed by them.

And, for all the raving about how uber they are, I've tried flying them a bit this tour.  I don't find it a particularly easy plane to fly well.  Those LE slats bop the plane all over the place and the guns are teh suxor.  I can't hit crap with them.

I strongly prefer the Yak-9U over the La-7.

I dunno, I just don't find the La-7 as uber as everyone makes out.  Maybe I just suck in it.

Spot on, for me too.  I'd infinately rather see an LA-7 come into the fight in a position to threaten me than a Yak...
<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2008, 05:23:49 PM »
Ummm...The FM2 v. Spit16 thing is actually a terrible example. This is because, the FM2 turns tighter, and the average pilot, especially if he is exclusively a Spit man, knows little of E fighting and mainly fights by hauling back on the stick. So the FM2 can actually be a typical Spit16 pilot's worst nightmare, it will tend to get on his six and stay there unless the Spit guy runs.

It is NOT an amazing feat of pilot whoop-de-doo to win a turnfight with an EW bird against a LW one, IF that EW bird happens to have a miniscule turn radius compared to whatever LW brick it is fighting.
So before the Arena Split, me landing pelts of 2 La7's, a Niki and a Spixteen, while in a Spit Mk. 1 isn't something?    3 of them were well known sticks.   FM2's don't stand a chance when I'm in a Ki-61.   Well, lazs is the exception to this rule.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC