Author Topic: Why are the majority from the U.S. oN here?  (Read 2006 times)

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Why are the majority from the U.S. oN here?
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2008, 06:12:17 PM »
Buy a reasonbly sized diesel.

Even better buy a motorbike!

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Connery

• Nickel Member
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2008, 06:12:33 PM »
Better say more militaristic.

Germany has a fundamentally different outlook on military themes & issues.

For example, there are no such shows like "dogfights" in Germany. Neither any other shows about any war "heroes".
Only very few documentaries about today's German military and they are very different from American ones (almost completely devoid of any patriotism).
A game equivalent to "Americas Army" produced by the Bundeswehr would result in a public political outrage.

Documentaries on WWII are much more likely to concentrate (or trying to, quality isn't guaranteed ;) ) on true history instead of telling rather simple tales of battles and courage. And of course there is a good reason for that.

Yea the reason that once you german ppl get patriotic and after a little beer or 2 you're trying to roll over the rest of europe!

p.s (this is said tongue in cheek - DONT take offence to it)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2008, 04:42:54 AM »
Are other countries well-represented in other massive online multiplayer games, say like World of Warcraft?

Always wondered about that.

If they're poorly represented in other games, well then I guess it's cultural or something.

Europe and Asia has a HUGE playerbase that plays WOW and other online games. I dont know a kid that isnt involved in some sort of online game. I know there are many in AH too.

Also when yall are talking about the English speaking world then you forget the millions who learns english in school or elsewere. Add those and the numbers would go well past the US population.

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2008, 05:02:40 AM »
Europe and Asia has a HUGE playerbase that plays WOW and other online games. I dont know a kid that isnt involved in some sort of online game. I know there are many in AH too.

Also when yall are talking about the English speaking world then you forget the millions who learns english in school or elsewere. Add those and the numbers would go well past the US population.

Och vi måste läsa svenska också... :cry :cry
I am a spy!

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2008, 05:05:18 AM »
     If you guys are so bothered by playing with Americans, there is nothing stopping you
from creating your own flight sim, or using word of mouth to advertise AH.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2008, 05:12:07 AM »
Not bothered at all, and i have recomended the game the game to all i can get interested.

Thing is that only a small % of players around the world is interested in this kind of game. A small % in places like the US would still amount to large numbers, but in a country the size of mine the number of players even if it is the same in % will ammount to very few players. Advertising here would not pay off at all. You would get a few 100 players at best but advertising for them would cost decades worth of 15$.

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2008, 05:40:35 AM »
Och vi måste läsa svenska också... :cry :cry

Det kan bara vara nyttigt  :aok

The Few GFC

Offline Nutzoid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2008, 08:14:35 AM »
I'm old and maybe missed something?? Just what n hell was/is the point of this post? Shoot, it's an American Flight Sim game, born an' bred in America, by Americans with it's HQ in America, advertised and played mostly by AMERICANS. Who else?
C co. 1st Bn 7 CAV 1st Cav Div  " Garry Owen"

Offline DarkglamJG52

• Copper Member
      • http://www.yonkis.com
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2008, 09:40:41 AM »
I'm old and maybe missed something?? Just what n hell was/is the point of this post? Shoot, it's an American Flight Sim game, born an' bred in America, by Americans with it's HQ in America, advertised and played mostly by AMERICANS. Who else?

AMERICANS from N or S?  :)

Coca-cola, Ford cars, Mac computers, Motorola phones  born an' bred in USA and sold around the world mate. Today business and marketing are global.

<S> and happy 4th july.

Offline DarkglamJG52

• Copper Member
      • http://www.yonkis.com
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2008, 10:07:28 AM »
Yea the reason that once you german ppl get patriotic and after a little beer or 2 you're trying to roll over the rest of europe!

p.s (this is said tongue in cheek - DONT take offence to it)

I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland.

Woody Allen aka Lusche  :lol

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2008, 02:55:32 PM »
Man, some folks are really touchy.  Why is that?  No one here has expressed any negative feelings toward Americans playing.  The original post was just wondering about the demographics.  It is an interesting question.  This game is not advertised heavily anywhere, US included.  So it is interesting to consider why more Americans play.  It doesn't matter where the game was invented or where it is hosted.  Battlefield 1942, for example, was written by Scandanavians, and still it has a lot more Americans playing it than from other countries.  Also, as noted, there are *a lot* of Asians who play online gaming (like South Koreans), including US-invented, US-hosted games (like WoW).  In that case of AH, there must be some sort of predisposition toward it here that is not as strongly present elsewhere.

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2008, 01:01:47 AM »
Hmmm I work for a automotive company that has their home office in Japan, we build millions and millions of cars and light SUV/SUTs every year for almost every nation.  The US is the number one consumer market, not saying that AH is anything like a car, but perhaps it is the volume of people in the market.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Nutzoid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2008, 01:56:51 PM »
Man, some folks are really touchy.  Why is that?  No one here has expressed any negative feelings toward Americans playing.  The original post was just wondering about the demographics.  It is an interesting question.  This game is not advertised heavily anywhere, US included.  So it is interesting to consider why more Americans play.  It doesn't matter where the game was invented or where it is hosted.  Battlefield 1942, for example, was written by Scandanavians, and still it has a lot more Americans playing it than from other countries.  Also, as noted, there are *a lot* of Asians who play online gaming (like South Koreans), including US-invented, US-hosted games (like WoW).  In that case of AH, there must be some sort of predisposition toward it here that is not as strongly present elsewhere.

Not touchy, just doesn't seem to me to be hard to figure, (see post above). And yes, many things are made here and sold around the world, so what? Wasn't tryin' to be "touchy" or give that impression. It just seemed to me to be a no brainer.  But again, I'm old and maybe missed sumpin.  :)
C co. 1st Bn 7 CAV 1st Cav Div  " Garry Owen"

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2008, 02:44:48 PM »
how many people here would name their pet mouse "yarbles" ?
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2008, 03:03:58 PM »
Go read some of the threads in the OT forum.  It's at least one plausible answer for why more of the world doesn't participate. :uhoh
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!