Author Topic: Great FSO  (Read 3097 times)

Offline Hamltnblue

• Nickel Member
Great FSO
« on: July 12, 2008, 12:19:09 AM »
Tonight's FSO was a blast.  We had one great fight, and alot of looking over our shoulders for those lurking 262's that never showed. Great job Staff and CIC's.  :rock

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
Re: Great FSO
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 01:20:21 AM »
Yes, once we got in that area.  I kept looking at my six high and low.  Them sneaky 262 can pop out of no where.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 01:27:36 AM »
My night started like this;

We were engaged from a high six position... almost caught unawares... luckily a false alarm had our heads on a swivel... the was a lot of confusion at first.

My schwarm was attacked first... two of four of us made it out...

8 of 21 of JG11's total made it out for 11 kills. Not bad considering the circumstances. More and more high Spt14's and P47N's kept pouring in as the fight progressed.

Tons of fun.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 02:02:23 AM »
Yeah me & my squad had a blast tonight flying our Tempest's, mostly engaged K4's, managed to shot down 2, but as I was setting up my shot for my 3rd kill a 109 must have got on my 6 without me seeing it, and got no check 6 calls, so my wing was taken off, but other then that it was a very enjoyable FSO, so wtg CM team on another exciting FSO. :salute
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline DaveJ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 09:53:55 AM »
This was the most boring FSO frame that I've ever flown in my life.

Jokers Jokers had 20 ponies that could have been used elsewhere other than chasing 2 or 3 Ar 234s over the City.

We had squadies that didn't fire a single shot the entire time.
~DaveyJ~
Jokers Jokers

Noseart

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cthunder16
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 09:58:16 AM »
We had a decent enough time. One of our new pilots kept getting lost. So we kept turning the formation trying to find him while trying to explain the whole 4-9-3 thing to him so he could find us on the map. We ended up out of position and got bounced from above by P51's.

Once engaged we didn't put up a very impressive showing. Think we lost 11 and killed 1.
Drackson

Allied Commander: AvA / Campaign Series: North Africa / Italy

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 10:24:30 AM »
VMF-251 claimed twelve for 1 shot down, which beat our kill/death even on our 30-kill sortie in Frame 1 of Guadalcanal (ended up losing three to discos, one crashed after the fight, one ditched while RTB, and one crashed on landing approach).

Our lead flight in Sector Delta was patrolling 14.9 and 14.8 at 28k, and got hit by a flight of P-47s at 30k (where our one was shot down). However the enemy was spread out and we were basically able to take them on piecemeal. In the end I barely got to fire a shot.

If I were to make a suggestion for next frame it would be to decrease the size of the "furball" zones to concentrate the fights. I didn't so much mind the half our transit to and from the fight, but once there things were so spread out you might never see an enemy plane, and the fights very easily descended into a many-vs-few (or one) feeding frenzy.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Ponyace

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 10:46:17 AM »

Jokers Jokers had 20 ponies that could have been used elsewhere other than chasing 2 or 3 Ar 234s over the City.

I know what you mean, Dave. Hellcat fighter group only encountered a few jets up at the northern most city, 15 at most. We had that many plus three other squads backing us up. But loss rates were good. Only lost 2 guys and one disco.
Gatore
Formerly "Ponyace"

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 10:47:44 AM »
15 at most.

I think we only had 9.
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline toadkill

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 10:50:01 AM »
This was the most boring FSO  that I've ever flown in my life.

If it makes you feel any better it was just as bad being the 234s you ambushed. Except we didn't get to jump anyone. Imho the attack part of the event needss to be dropped and let it be just a furball event.
<S>
Toad

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 10:54:25 AM »
..We ended up out of position and got bounced from above by P51's.

Once engaged we didn't put up a very impressive showing. Think we lost 11 and killed 1.
Actually we were shaowing them from low 6.  That was the 353rd, Shifty, Jester, BC21 and my old squad.  Hella fight ensued with the ponies at about a 2k alt advtg.  The 49th bagged 2 and damaged a few more, but we lost 11 with BC21 being the only survivor.

:salute 353rd
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/

Offline Captfish

• Nickel Member
      • VF-6 Fighter Sqdn
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 11:17:54 AM »
Vf-6 doesn't want to talk about it........We got destroyed from above. those 109's were sketchy at 35K!!!

:salute 367th
'CO' VF-6 Fighter Sqdn

Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 11:27:27 AM »
Vf-6 doesn't want to talk about it........We got destroyed from above. those 109's were sketchy at 35K!!!

:salute 367th

35K?!!!.  They can only be 30k
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 11:27:36 AM »

It wasn't any better flying a 262. It was past the 55 min mark before we ever got to our target area and saw any cons, only to spend the next 30 mins or so being chased all over the map. Was about 9 of us in 262's and about 25 Temps/Ponys. You couldn't fight any of them, because there were far too many any time you tried to single one out away from the hoarde they tried to HO you. If you dove into the hoarde you had 5 or 6 of them trying to HO you. Oh lets not forget to mention the puffy ack at our target that can light a 262 up in 1 burst.

I spent 30 mins getting chased all over before I said the hell with it and jumped into a hoarde of about 15 Temps to get killed. No way was I going to fly 30 mins back to my base after all that. With 30 cons all over the place I still was never able to fire my guns once.

To who ever designed this.. I know it sounds like a good idea to dog fight in 262's I thought it sounded fun myself at first. However it was extremely boring because you couldn't do anything but dodge HO's and run. I'd seriously suggest moving the targets about 10 sectors closer and give Axis  190D's & 109K4's and just ditch the 262's. 262's were meant to be defensive fighters shooting down bombers not offensive fighters trying to dog fight prop planes.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 11:30:37 AM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 11:32:35 AM »

:huh... glad I'm on vacation.  Just heard from my squad and they flew a racetrack pattern in P51s and never fired a shot either.
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012