Author Topic: Your first job?  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
Re: Your first job?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2008, 01:20:34 AM »
I remember bailing hay "boy...get back on the wagon and stack, you aint ready for the chute"

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2008, 01:50:36 AM »
First real job was sweeping up trash and cigarette butts at the Great America theme park in Santa Clara when I was 16.  Free rides and access to the park after work.  Met a lot of chicks and had a blast that summer.

Good times.
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2008, 01:57:14 AM »
First job was a summer job. Pumped gas and sold boating stuff at a marina. Met my first real girlfriend there too doing that job actually. She was a little hottie that ran out of gas more and more often. About a month after my boss figured out why she ran out all the time it sunk in with me too. There was yet another first later that summer  ;)

Offline tech9

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2008, 02:05:14 AM »
Went to a Led Zepplin concert when I was 15.... saw these dudes in blue uniforms working as ushers ... turned to my buddy Tom and my brother and said --- &&& %%% ...these guys are getting paid to see this concert...next day went downtown to the Andy Frain main office and worked as many concerts and ballgames as i could - crap money - but saw more concerts and smoked more confiscated dope than anyone I knew :)

NwBie

haha...thats what i do now, my first job was a dishwasher at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2008, 02:11:01 AM »
  Your first job as a teenager? or as a kid? And don't say paperboy/girl, we all know you ran out of money and needed more...  :D :P

For me, I was a cashier.. at Wal-mart... quiet you...  :devil

actually i bought my first pick-up with a paper route and was very proud of it then too. that required a lot of paper slinging to pay for the truck/title transfer/minor repairs to make street legal so my father could drive it since I was too young at the time.

aside from that though my first job was working on a farm when I was 15 right after I gave up the paper route. That is where I learned that hard work can pay off as long as the boss is willing to pay you and not make you go begging for the money.

by the way thanks for reminding me about how dumb I was in my younger days, well maybe I haven't learned much since then either.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2008, 02:24:27 AM »
lets see... 

...it was a long time ago, in a land far, far away...

We all dressed alike, followed each other around. Not long after we were all down with that, we got to meet exiting, new and unusual people, and spent a lotta time trying to arrange things so they couldn't kill us. Despite the crummy work conditions, we found out that getting terminated wasn't a desirable way to leave the workforce, despite the immediate advantages we speculated about every once in awhile.

Eventually, if you avoided the hostile RIF's (and had enough positive karma) you were transfered back to the world and were deemed worthy of taking your place in line for a job on a hot dog truck.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2008, 02:26:23 AM »
I'm working at my first job right now. I'm a buss boy at a restaurant called Las Margaritas.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2008, 02:32:53 AM »
Scoop Shovel "Operator" on the Farm at age 14.

Spreading grain out level in the back of Bobtrucks as it came off the grain carts and putting the tarps on so they could go to the grainery. BIG fun and got to eat many pounds of dust for min wage. Main reason wasn't the money though but during harvest season farm workers got out of school early.   :aok

Next year picked up though - the owner of the farm took a liking to me because I was a hard worker and took me out in the middle of a field and taught me to drive both a standard shift bobtruck and a tractor. That next year I spent doing nothing but driving - was driving a standard shift bobtruck to the grainery 15 miles away from the farm before I ever even learned to drive a regular automatic shift car.

Was a good few years for a Kid - all should be made to do a few harvests on the farm to see what REAL work is like.
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2008, 02:50:26 AM »
Summer I was either 14 or 15 I worked in a PLL yard. 
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2008, 04:43:05 AM »
Nights at a newspaper printing the daily news, paying for my first car.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2008, 05:18:32 AM »
Dishwasher at 13yrs old at a Cafeteria.

My Dad saved my 1st paycheck and just payed me out of his pocket.

Still have it.  (wonder if I can cash that thing...  the Cafeteria is still in operation...)
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2008, 05:42:37 AM »
Some good stories. My first job, well actually I had two first jobs Both started more or less simultaneously. Aged 14, pallet repairer and lounge boy. Yes, I just had to be different. My Mother arranged both for me whether I liked it or not.

The first was at a food distributor. They had a lot of pallets in the yard that were a bit damaged and they figured that a couple of boys with a hammer and nails could fix em up. My parents knew the manager and I got the job along with some other kid. We fixed up few but realised it was tough work and soon started pulling out good pallets from the pile and claiming them as repaired. We had other little tasks, one was sitting beside a noisy vibrating machine that washed dried fruit like raisins, picking out stalks and cigarette butts thrown in by inconsiderate Greek farmers. :O There was an interesting diversion. The manager would pick me up every morning but one day he said he couldn't. So I walked. Just outside the building, there he was sitting in his car. I had seen enough cop shows by then to recognise a stake out :cool: Turned out some staff were going in early and stealing stuff. They were caught.  :rofl

Lounge boy, sounds a bit sleazy but really it was just a junior bar waiter. I did that in the evenings in a local pub. There was a bar and a lounge as there often is in Irish pubs. At the time women were not allowed in the bar, just men. They went to the lounge. I swiftly discovered an interesting fact. Men tip better when women are around. Tips were lousy in the bar. In the lounge, you always got big tips. Men showing off, I suppose.

I hated both jobs, I must say and neither lasted long.  But unfortunately they were just a taste of the series of rubbish jobs constituted my 'career'.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2008, 07:26:49 AM »
I hauled hay for a nickel a bale.
Lighten up Francis

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2008, 07:42:16 AM »
dishwasher at the harvest house resturant, which was run by woolworths
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2008, 07:43:22 AM »
Royal Air Force at age 16
Same, but a few years earlier. We both served on the same Squadron though.