Author Topic: Abortion is one thing but this?  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Re: Abortion is one thing but this?
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2008, 10:15:59 PM »
Point taken,

My real point here is that all the things you have mentioned, are part of what one should realize when making the "choice" as to weather to have sex for business or pleasure. Realizing that there is a risk of conception no matter what prevention you choose is all part of it.

That's fair enough. It's also where hedonism takes over as the driving factor in the decision making process, for me. Because I view it as the prevention of life rather than the taking of a life it is easy for me to rationalise my pleasure seeking over anything else here. It all depends on where you draw the line of life when abortion is concerned. Some zealots consider masturbation morally corrupt because the sperm die and a life is prevented. I think this ridiculous, but I like sex a lot so I'm not about to subscribe to something that will prevent me from doing that.

Selfish and self-important, of course, but I do not think that a life of abstaining from the pinnacle of closeness to the woman I plan to spend the rest of my life with is anything to be overlooked.

We use a method of contraception called 'implanon' and it is a sustained release hormone in the form of a stick roughly the size of a match that is implanted just below the surface of the skin on the inside of her upper arm. It is inserted with a large syringe and requires a local anesthetic. This needs to be replaced every 3 years and is 99.9% effective as it avoids all of the problems of the digestive system that the pill can encounter. I believe it works the same way the pill does, by fooling the body into thinking it is pregnant so that no eggs are released. The constant presence of this hormone can cause irregular spotting or bleeding (IE. there is no regular period) but some women don't bleed at all or very irregularly, which is a bonus (no period = no monthly demon woman symptoms  :lol). So far we've found this to be the best method and that is the only form of contraception that we use.

If she still got pregnant after all that.... well, I would want to be making an appointment.

Abortion is such a tricky issue. People have such vastly different moral compasses. So long as it's legal, I suppose  :aok

:salute

Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2008, 01:32:03 AM »
Incest?  Rape?  Mothers life threatened by the pregnancy, yes. 

Keep your legs closed and the dog in the house if your not willing to own up to it.  Birth control for casual reasons should stop at the moment of conception.

But then again, if the woman does not want to carry through to term how can anyone other than God prevent it from ending intentionally.

What I find interesting is that I just don't see the criticisms of the man in this. The woman doesn't get pregnant by herself. The man should be using contraception or should make sure the woman is before taking the risk of getting her pregnant.
Maybe the man should keep his pants on.

All too often, the man is trying to seduce the woman into having sex without regard to the consequences. He has his fun and leaves the woman to fend for herself when she gets pregnant. (not in all cases obviously).

It's just too easy to point at others and say "It's your fault!" rather than saying "It's our fault."

Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2008, 03:23:58 AM »
The first choice coming before conception is a concept that is largely ignored in these threads, even though it is a very simple truth. Birth control products (such as condoms) are available in any drug store. With the advent of the 24 hour super market most of which have pharmacies these days, contraceptives are available 24/7. Yet people choose to do without, or simply don't plan ahead.

There are day after pills, as well as pills like RU486 but plenty of people use adequate precautions and a pregnancy can still be a result. But still you're right a little pre-planning wouldn't go astray.

What I find interesting is that I just don't see the criticisms of the man in this. The woman doesn't get pregnant by herself. The man should be using contraception or should make sure the woman is before taking the risk of getting her pregnant.
Maybe the man should keep his pants on.

All too often, the man is trying to seduce the woman into having sex without regard to the consequences. He has his fun and leaves the woman to fend for herself when she gets pregnant. (not in all cases obviously).

It's just too easy to point at others and say "It's your fault!" rather than saying "It's our fault."

I can't believe how many "men" on this board only have sex for the intent of procreation only! 

Its also good to see that everyone who is strongly pro-life here also supports increases in social welfare and services to support all these "lives" they're so intent on saving.

Tronsky

God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2008, 06:39:35 AM »
There are day after pills

I don't think the day after pill is available here in the US.

Its also good to see that everyone who is strongly pro-life here also supports increases in social welfare and services to support all these "lives" they're so intent on saving.

There are many couples that want to have children but that can't for various reasons. Why can't those people adopt these unwanted children instead of killing them via abortion?
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2008, 07:24:26 AM »

IIRC 'the day after pill' is no different to taking 5 of the regular dual-hormone contraceptive pills. I'll double check that in a minute but I'm pretty sure that is the same thing.

Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2008, 08:06:53 AM »

There are many couples that want to have children but that can't for various reasons. Why can't those people adopt these unwanted children instead of killing them via abortion?

There must be plenty of kids looking for good homes now 

I can't believe the morning after pill isn't available...I would've thought it would've been a fairly common thing?

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2008, 08:59:35 AM »
There must be plenty of kids looking for good homes now 

I can't believe the morning after pill isn't available...I would've thought it would've been a fairly common thing?

Tronsky

Many couples desire infants to adopt, since abortion was legalized the availability of infants for adoption had dropped dramatically.

The FDA has to approve every single drug here in America, and that can take forever. Well, not forever, but years and years.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.