Author Topic: The MA Mentality...  (Read 3094 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: The MA Mentality...
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2008, 07:43:19 AM »
What are the characteristics of a "MA mentality" compared to another one of say the DA?

Excluding the cherry pick area in the DA (just another mini MA) it a simple difference.

In the DA you set up for a duel where you start at all equal and try to gain an advantage.  You work for it while the other guy tries to prevent you from doing so.  You do it for the fight, to see how good you are, and to learn from a controlled situation.  Meaning, if you gain the advantage you learn from how you did it.  If you die, you learn from how you died.  It takes away the randomness of the the MA environment out.

In the MA is free for all.  It is fun, especially if you can take on a few guys at the time ( but you wont be able to do that unless you tried the above).  However it is very random.  Most of the guys you will engage will already have the advantage on you or you will have an advantage on them.  You wont learn match by killing someone because you really don;t know why you were able to.

In any case.  Both fun.  I just don't understand what is so difficult to understand about what a duel is.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2008, 07:47:00 AM »
not sure I understand your reply dedalos, are you agreeing with me or disagreeing? :confused:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2008, 07:58:56 AM »
not sure I understand your reply dedalos, are you agreeing with me or disagreeing? :confused:

I agree with the progression.  However to say that coming in with more speed than the other guy is E fighting is just funny.  That is what Bosco is talking about.  As I said above.  Can you engage at equal states and E fight?  Can you create the E advantage?  From what I have seen all most people can do is post in the BBS about what Bosco did wrong.  Do you know that he could take on anyone that posted in this thread and kill him in a few seconds?  Yet you guys are giving him advice on what he did wrong?   :rofl  I know exactly what he did wrong.  He trusted that his opponent was looking for a fair fight.  Why don't you guys ask him to the DA and show him how he is stuck at the TnB level?  :rofl 

Coming in faster into a duel is just cheap and there is no reason for it.  In the MA yes, do what you have to to win fast cause there is more coming.  In a duel there is no excuse for it.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2008, 08:13:11 AM »
  Do you know that he could take on anyone that posted in this thread and kill him in a few seconds? 

:huh

And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2008, 08:17:18 AM »

:huh

Alright alright, after 5 pages I don;t remember everyone that posted here  :lol  It was directed at the keyboard ACM guys  :rofl

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2008, 08:24:23 AM »
However to say that coming in with more speed than the other guy is E fighting is just funny.

well I didnt say that, but it could be true. bosco could have feathered a little so he would hit optimum turn speed to merge for the TnB fight he was expecting. Huckster however could have WEPd into the merge not intending to TnB from the first merge, but bleed as little as possible so he could then E-fight. He then has a completely legitimate E-advantage to play with. Same plane/alt-cap in a duel doesn't mean equal E states at the merge, it means equal E-potential before the merge. What you do with that potential is up to you.

I also know exactly what he did wrong. He assumed his opponent was going to fight the way he wanted. Unfortunately for bosco Huckster hadnt read the script and decided to do something different.

71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2008, 08:29:22 AM »
 :D
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2008, 08:37:56 AM »

well I didnt say that, but it could be true. bosco could have feathered a little so he would hit optimum turn speed to merge for the TnB fight he was expecting. Huckster however could have WEPd into the merge not intending to TnB from the first merge, but bleed as little as possible so he could then E-fight. He then has a completely legitimate E-advantage to play with. Same plane/alt-cap in a duel doesn't mean equal E states at the merge, it means equal E-potential before the merge. What you do with that potential is up to you.

I also know exactly what he did wrong. He assumed his opponent was going to fight the way he wanted. Unfortunately for bosco Huckster hadnt read the script and decided to do something different.

I take it, you and Bosco had some words in the past or hackster is a squadie?  What you described above does not result in a win.  You get some E but you get shot since you gave up the angles.  Way too match keyboard ACM in here.  Go in the DA and show him what a nube he is

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2008, 08:40:30 AM »
Alright alright, after 5 pages I don;t remember everyone that posted here  :lol  It was directed at the keyboard ACM guys  :rofl

<cough>

:noid
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2008, 09:08:24 AM »

I actually have a film of the fight that we had,my ownage, were he says that there was 4 spit14s over him. So there are just some people that carry the, "MA mentality" that I have discussed here. Those are the people that I choose not to fight anymore, people like Deadalos, and people like him, are the guys that I would much rather choose to fight.

Film:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tfenmnd1zdz

the film of your "pwnage" - the first encounter, right?

a) you came in with alt and smash, over 80-90kias differential (and tried to rope huckster on the "merge") - can someone pls define "irony"?

b) there were indeed 4 spits over huckster (including yours) - you just happened to kill him before the *final 2* of the 4 could in (and they were starting to).. even tho they had't reached guns range, huckster had to give them some attention.

the second encounter you had myway intereferring which made it 2 v 1 against huckster.

I saw no evidence of any actual "duels"  - this film was entirely in furball lake, which is a totally different animal than using the "dueling areas" to the west.

soooooo... i'm really failing to see your point.  from what i could see on the film, there's nothing for you to be either whining or bragging about.

meh.

:noid

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2008, 09:35:48 AM »
I take it, you and Bosco had some words in the past or hackster is a squadie?

lol no and no. it just seems bosco thinks e-fighting = cheating, which I disagree with.

as for giving up angles, all ACM are a balance of cost/benefit. giving your opponent a weak shot in order to get yourself a good shot may be your best hope if your opponent isnt an idiot and wont just lay it out for you.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2008, 09:58:50 AM »
lol no and no. it just seems bosco thinks e-fighting = cheating, which I disagree with.

Nop, we agree there.  I can't watch the films at work so from the conversations in the DA that day I was under the impression this was a duel and not a fight in the cherry pick arena

Offline Chemdawg

• Copper Member
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2008, 10:16:28 AM »
 :O

Not to revert from the current subject, but I must be one of those autistic fellers.. I skipped the BnZ phase (Kindergarden)and went straight for TnB(Highschool). Am currently attempting to better myself with regards to the E fighting(College or maybe it should be the Pro's...not sure, is there a level above e fighting?).

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2008, 10:38:47 AM »
You get some E but you get shot since you gave up the angles.

It depends on how much e you gain.  You can win a duel after the merge if your opponent bleeds too much e in a high g immelman for the sake of angles.  The better sticks aren't going to make that mistake.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2008, 11:02:32 AM »
If Huckster is who I think they are, that is the ONLY way they fight in a duel.

If they are not who I am thinking of, then my apologies to huckster.

(but going by batfinks post, I am pretty sure I am correct)

(now you point out where in the OP it says he DIDN'T do what I said he did)
I have fought huckster this is exactly what he does . He went like 5k higher when i dueled him used e advantage and wore me down .
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:09:33 AM by hlbly »