Author Topic: Whale Wars  (Read 4040 times)

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Re: Whale Wars
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 04:04:52 PM »
Disagree..it's possible to not touch the environment.."nature" was on a roll long before "man" arrived, and will continue to be on a "roll" long after we ("piss-ants") disappear from this rock. FYI, I view "man" as subservient to Nature, ie, upset Nature and you WILL "pay the piper" as it were.

One of the blaring problems  throughout the history of man is there hasn't been enough observation BEFORE participating...look around, the evidence is overwhelming.  :furious

See above  :D

So, you're saying we're not part of the eco-system?  That we're a seperated from it?  An observer, but not a participant?  What planet are you from?

I agree our actions as participants are often not healthy for the environment, but that doesn't mean we're not part of it.  Can you eat, breath, walk, whatever, with zero effect on it?

Guessing that it will go along fine after we leave the game is true, it will.  But who's to say anything "normal" will be left?  Even if the planet is a void wasteland in the end, it'll still go on through time as happy as it's ever been...
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 05:14:08 PM »
So, you're saying we're not part of the eco-system?  That we're a seperated from it?  An observer, but not a participant?  What planet are you from?
I agree our actions as participants are often not healthy for the environment, but that doesn't mean we're not part of it.  Can you eat, breath, walk, whatever, with zero effect on it?

Guessing that it will go along fine after we leave the game is true, it will.  But who's to say anything "normal" will be left?  Even if the planet is a void wasteland in the end, it'll still go on through time as happy as it's ever been...

"subservient implies the cringing manner of one very conscious of a subordinate position"..that was the meaning of my statement JFYI...which you obviously missed. :P

Where did I say:

I said "Disagree..it's possible to not touch the environment.."nature" was on a roll long before "man" arrived, and will continue to be on a "roll"

FYI, "straw-man" tactics won't work.  This conversation is off to a bad start, so rather than get into a wizzing contest, I'll just end it now.  :salute

dentin  :cool:(from Planet Earth) :cool: has left the building 

"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2008, 06:25:53 PM »
Whales are not "fish"...they're Mammals.

Yeah, I know. I was just wondering if anyone was desperate enough to correct me.

I dont care what kinda critter they are. Fact is humans have always hunted, killed, and et, whales. I hear whale is good eating and wish I had a haunch to naw on right now.

I could live with the Greenpeace types if they didn't have their heads so far up their 6s. I think they are all products of Disney reality and anthropomorphizing animals. And their arrogance? They think they are above all law.

Hunting "using scientific methods" is not going to guarantee the survival of any species...there will always be a "scientific group of idiots" that will make the incorrect decision on how to manage the species in question.  The vast majority of decisions made by the aforementioned scientific groups are most often influenced by greed/monetary gain.

Really? So what species did it fail?

Mother Nature, on the other hand has no use for "monetary gain", and therefore is the best method of natural management.

Thats deep man. Really deep. The rest of us however are probably wondering wtf your talking about.

You're correct, people have been eating Whales for quite some time, however, hunting Whales with Whaling ships, either present or past was strictly "for profit"...not for survival.

Compared to what? The Montana rancher with 10,000 head of cattle? The Arkansas poultry farmer with 10 sheds full of birds? How about the grocery store you shop at? Are they in it for survival?
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 08:01:02 PM »
Yeah, I know. I was just wondering if anyone was desperate enough to correct me.

Wonder no more, your answer has arrived.

I dont care what kinda critter they are. Fact is humans have always hunted, killed, and et, whales. I hear whale is good eating and wish I had a haunch to naw on right now.

Yup.."hunter/gather's...really?? Hmmm..they "et" Whales?? Imagine that!!

I could live with the Greenpeace types if they didn't have their heads so far up their 6s. I think they are all products of Disney reality and anthropomorphizing animals. And their arrogance? They think they are above all law.

Jeeze Louise, how did Greenpeace and Disney get into the conversation?? You hittin the sauce again Dick?

really? So what species did it fail?

Look around..I'm sure you'll answer your own question

Thats deep man. Really deep. The rest of us however are probably wondering wtf your talking about.

I don't think "the rest of us" applies..I suspect your on your own, Son

Compared to what? The Montana rancher with 10,000 head of cattle? The Arkansas poultry farmer with 10 sheds full of birds? How about the grocery store you shop at? Are they in it for survival?

:huh :huh  Uhh, letsee here..Cattle> Poultry>Grocery Store = Whales...sorry too much of a stretch.

Allow me to clear the air...I'm NOT a tree hugging/anti hunting liberal. I'm Just a "good `ol` country boy trying to make his way through this mixed-up world". IMHO, it's time to leave the Whales alone, let them replenish their ranks.

"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."

Offline Curlew

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 12:36:40 AM »
They have replenished thier ranks, they are almost to where they were before whaling, and the international whaling laws only permit the killing of 500 whales a year (correct me if im wrong on that) thats not a huge hunting opperation nor killing a ton of whales for profit like sea shepard makes them out to be.
It is I, Ens. Pulver! And I have just thrown your palm tree overboard!
Quote from: Helm
The best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Callsign---Curlew

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 04:51:23 AM »
You have much more killed every year, but bear in mind that the smallest whales are merely the size of a seal.
If I recall right, the limit for the USA was 20.500 whales. All small.
BTW, whales do have some impact on the ecosystem, - around my country, whales eat more fish than our entire fleet gets. Which is one reason behind the hunt, - we're fighting for the same dinner ;)
Whale tastes very good, roughly like beef with a salty whiff. Yummmm.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2008, 05:47:19 AM »
Allow me to clear the air...I'm NOT a tree hugging/anti hunting liberal. I'm Just a "good `ol` country boy trying to make his way through this mixed-up world". IMHO, it's time to leave the Whales alone, let them replenish their ranks.

Thanks for clearing that up Denton. Because here I was thinking I was talking to an intellectual and general worldwide whale expert.

Did you know Baleen whales have no teeth Denton? My guess is they are your favorites.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 09:02:07 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up Denton. Because here I was thinking I was talking to an intellectual and general worldwide whale expert.

Did you know Baleen whales have no teeth Denton? My guess is they are your favorites.

And "my guess" is: you're educated beyond your degree of intelligence...now go outside and play, Dick.

dentin has left the building   :cool:

Offline wooly15

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2008, 10:28:24 AM »
I saw it for the first time the other night and was so frustrated at their lack of professionalism and seamanship.  I was in the Navy and it aggravated me to no end to watch those bumbling idiots make attempts to stop those whaling ships.  If they could get a real C.O., develop a real chain of command and tactics....they may be on to something.

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2008, 10:39:44 AM »
They have all said that they would die for the whales.  I wish they would hurry up and get on with that.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 11:17:46 AM »
A couple of links referencing current international whaling regulations and the website of Sea Shepherd. Both help to set some perspective to the pro and anti whaling debate, albeit that Sea Shepherd appears to be reckless and foolhardy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Whaling_Commission

http://www.seashepherd.org/

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2008, 12:00:05 PM »
Before i make any remarks about the topice.  How many of you are biologist?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 12:06:02 PM by oakranger »
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2008, 12:26:48 PM »
Before i make any remarks about the topice.  How many of you are biologist?

Why does that matter?

Offline Curlew

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2008, 01:48:08 PM »
They have all said that they would die for the whales.  I wish they would hurry up and get on with that.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
It is I, Ens. Pulver! And I have just thrown your palm tree overboard!
Quote from: Helm
The best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Callsign---Curlew

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2008, 01:56:07 PM »
The amusing thing will be when sea shepherd has an accident, what do you guys think the environmental impact will be on the antarctic if sea shepherd goes down or causes another vessel to go down spilling loads of diesel? How many endangered species will they kill?