Author Topic: Land Grabbing  (Read 5025 times)

Offline Joker2

• Zinc Member
Re: Land Grabbing
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2009, 11:56:06 AM »
Ok here is my best attempt.

Junky said it well on page 1 i think.

But to address some other well placed "accusations" for lack of a better word.

1. Base taking is a way to win a war.
A. Base Taking is a way to change the complexion of the battlefield. This is important because if not you will just have the score dweebs at 30k over the frontline base doing their best Shawk impersonation. (Sorry Shawk could'nt think of another pickdweeb in short notice).

2. Base taking is FUN organizing and planning missions and the different ways to do it is challenging.

3. I have done a test the last 2 weeks and have run maybe 10 NOE missions all others have been at alt, no change in result just as many work as did'nt in the NOE fashion. So the whole NOE myth is just that. NOE gives u surprise yes but 4 spixteens can crush an NOE is minutes i know we have crushed many recently. The alt mission while it gives the enemy time to prepare it is by far the easier to accomplish.

4. It was stated in a few posts that "LandGrabbers" lack the skill to fight 1 v 1 and i beg to differ with you, I have always been willing and will continue to be available to DA anyone who thinks they are so good at this game, and btw i'm not the best or even close to it, but i will humble most of you that's for sure. Yes there are some guys in my squad who are not the fighter jocks but they are also Noobs in the grand scheme of things and one way for them to learn is to fly with more experienced pilots. And as with all things you must crawl before you walk and walk before you run.

5. Lets face it take 80% of the community when faced with a 1 v 1 with truly elite fighter jock loses. Now i have faced most out there and only a few come to mind as real good sticks, one that comes to mind is Dastrdly most enjoyable fights in the game. However i think most out there just living some sort of dream when it come's to their skills.
I WANTED TO BE THE FIRST KID ON MY BLOCK WITH A CONFIRMED KILL!

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2009, 12:09:33 PM »
I do alot of land grabbin....mostly hitting trees trying to steal Silat's kills as they fall.  :D

At least those planes are easy to pickup on with all of the red high-heels sticking out of the plane.  Just another SAPP HTC perk plane..P-38 with stiletto cannon.
 :noid
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2009, 12:48:35 PM »
Ok here is my best attempt.

Junky said it well on page 1 i think.

But to address some other well placed "accusations" for lack of a better word.

1. Base taking is a way to win a war.
A. Base Taking is a way to change the complexion of the battlefield. This is important because if not you will just have the score dweebs at 30k over the frontline base doing their best Shawk impersonation. (Sorry Shawk could'nt think of another pickdweeb in short notice).

2. Base taking is FUN organizing and planning missions and the different ways to do it is challenging.

3. I have done a test the last 2 weeks and have run maybe 10 NOE missions all others have been at alt, no change in result just as many work as did'nt in the NOE fashion. So the whole NOE myth is just that. NOE gives u surprise yes but 4 spixteens can crush an NOE is minutes i know we have crushed many recently. The alt mission while it gives the enemy time to prepare it is by far the easier to accomplish.

4. It was stated in a few posts that "LandGrabbers" lack the skill to fight 1 v 1 and i beg to differ with you, I have always been willing and will continue to be available to DA anyone who thinks they are so good at this game, and btw i'm not the best or even close to it, but i will humble most of you that's for sure. Yes there are some guys in my squad who are not the fighter jocks but they are also Noobs in the grand scheme of things and one way for them to learn is to fly with more experienced pilots. And as with all things you must crawl before you walk and walk before you run.

5. Lets face it take 80% of the community when faced with a 1 v 1 with truly elite fighter jock loses. Now i have faced most out there and only a few come to mind as real good sticks, one that comes to mind is Dastrdly most enjoyable fights in the game. However i think most out there just living some sort of dream when it come's to their skills.

Well said I couldn't agree more :salute
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2009, 01:00:28 PM »
you know,after reading much of this,especially from Tralfazz,whom I do respect,actually saying that NOE's ANYWHERE is bad form makes me wonder where he was when he was running his missions,many NOE...So you have moved on Tral,thats cool,but why talk trash about those who still do the NOE's weather to a base with alot of people around or not??And then trash talk about the way they do them..

FWIW,it is usually not in a missions best interest to go WAYYYYYYYYYY back,north,south,east,and or west to capture some lonely base where someone will not be watching..Because what happens is,if the base does get captured,it will usually get decimated by the other countrys who's it was..So it really is a waste of time..One has to make sure that something is around to support a base capture,otherwise it is all for nought.

I just cannot believe that people actually get upset about missions.My word,tral wants the mission planner on the clipboard done away with,and probably so do some others and why???

Cause we want to have fun OUR way and not your way???Please guys,get over it already..

Remember "NATURE ABHORS A VACUUM"...As soon as someone stops running missions,and decides to get on the "FURBALL BANDWAGON"someone else will pop up in their place to fill the void...But I dont think it means that since you dont do it anymore,that you NOW have the right to try and de-mean someone into stopping what you now consider pase',and are too good for..

Falcon23 :salute

Falcon  :salute

They can't do that!   Then they'd have nothing to bellyache about!   :rofl    :rofl

ROX

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2009, 02:40:04 PM »
Look, I don't have a problem with players that lack skill. I don't have a problem with missions....high alt or noe. I don't have a problem with field captures or resets.

What I have a problem with is folks that AVOID combat to accomplish the above..by whatever means. Yeah, that includes the suicide monkey that will dive past me to race the last 10 miles to a field so he can drop a couple of bombs and shoot ack until he dies. As often as not, this weenie will kill the VH and ord at the field so that the field can only be remotely defended. Yeah, a viable real world tactic....makes for sucky game play though.

I have a problem with those that subscribe to the Machiavellian belief that the ends justify the means in the game. Many of them are the same people that will "manipulate" the scoring system so that they can get a high rank. Organizational skills and challenging in the same sentence? Oh well, I guess RL is so bad for some that this sort of thing is the only way they can justify their miserable existence.

BTW, if you are really interested in showing off your organizational skills and have a REAL challenge.....organize a scenario.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 03:50:30 PM by NoBaddy »
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2009, 03:24:10 PM »

The majority of fulltime landgrabbers suck.  Like 99%.  You are an exception to the rule.  See the thing is, once you immerse yourself into 1v1 combat, there's no turning back.  You never hear any pilots say, "I used to be one of the best sticks in the game but I just got tired of it and decided to start taking bases full time."   :rofl I can confidently say that if you weren't a CO of a big squad, you would be getting your nose dirty all the time not worrying about winning the war.

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2009, 03:33:51 PM »
Maybe a way to please all is to limit which types of planes can be flown (initially) from certain bases. For example, bombers would only be able to fly out of bases deep in their own territory, while fighters and attack planes could be stationed close to the front lines. If a bomber lands at a front line base then it can take off from that base provided it rearms on the rearm pad.Have gv spawns only  from vbases so a little more defense would be required from the squad that needs that vbase for their attack. I think it would neutralize the hordes that everyone seems to despise. Squads would have to also consider flying back into their own territory in order to defend bombers that are in the air for some time exposed to long range bomber intercept from the enemy. I think that it would improve the planning aspects that the land grabbing squads seem to like and offering the guy that doesn't like the base taking thing who just likes the fight a chance to enjoy just fighting without the overwhelming numbers disadvantage. It would make the game play more like WW2.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2009, 04:44:23 PM »
Maybe a way to please all is to limit which types of planes can be flown (initially) from certain bases. For example, bombers would only be able to fly out of bases deep in their own territory, while fighters and attack planes could be stationed close to the front lines. yaknoww......that's actually a reall good idea. it could be taken a step farther to allow specific planes at specific bases. If a bomber lands at a front line base then it can take off from that base provided it rearms on the rearm pad.Have gv spawns only  from vbases so a little more defense would be required from the squad that needs that vbase for their attack. I think it would neutralize the hordes that everyone seems to despise. Squads would have to also consider flying back into their own territory in order to defend bombers that are in the air for some time exposed to long range bomber intercept from the enemy. I think that it would improve the planning aspects that the land grabbing squads seem to like and offering the guy that doesn't like the base taking thing who just likes the fight a chance to enjoy just fighting without the overwhelming numbers disadvantage. It would make the game play more like WW2.

some good ideas dude........

but to me, as i've said before, landgrabbing spawns fights. there's almost always a fight around an attempted base capture.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2009, 04:54:50 PM »
So did Grizz441 say I suck.....He states " The majority of land grabbers suck ....like 99%"

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2009, 05:02:21 PM »
I have a question for land grabbers and my intent isn't to judge your game play but merely understand your motives for it.  I'm just curious what motivates you to capture bases and try to win the war.  On these gigantic maps you can barely put a dent into any sides actual base numbers.  And after your efforts, you log off and go to sleep.  When you log back on the next day usually the map is entirely different than how you left it.  I'm also curious how many "War Victories" are actually achieved monthly on the large maps and if getting booted from an arena is really an award that makes it worth doing.

I've done the land grab thing before and it was definitely fun but I lost interest in it realllly quick because I finally just asked myself, why am I trying to capture this base?  What is this really going to accomplish?  What's the point? 

Grizz, I was a "win the war" guy from the beginning.  Started playing in 2002 + or -.  I've not out grown it, and during my last stint of flying, I too began asking myself the same question.  The bigger maps had not come out.

Back when, there were not separate arenas.  No big maps.  Then some bigger maps and no separate arenas.  Winning, at least to me, was what a game is all about.  Of course, passing the time happily has a part too.

Then came unporkable fuel, more ack, more barracks, reset rules change, uncapturable bases, etc.

The game is definitely geared towards point and shoot now.  

And I gather that's been a successful move for HTC.  So, and I'm guessing, the changes have been the right move as a business decision.

From what I've read on the BBS lately, there's now some (maybe a very vocal and very minor minority) who feel the same way when it comes to air to air combat.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2009, 05:05:28 PM »

some good ideas dude........

but to me, as i've said before, landgrabbing spawns fights. there's almost always a fight around an attempted base capture.

4 engined buffs = large fields only
All others, from any field.
See Rule #4

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2009, 05:06:55 PM »
4 engined buffs = large fields only
all others from any field.

I say 

4 engine - large

Medium 2 engine bombers - medium

Light 1 or 2 engine bombers - small
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2009, 05:12:28 PM »
My beef is that most (nearly all) of the missions I run into show little or no ACM when forced to fight.  They break in and toss the furniture but can't put up a fistfight if you make it downstairs in time to catch em.  This is a calamity ESPECIALY given that their leaders have enough leverage on them to guide them to whatever means (topical websites, trainers, unofficial tutors, etc) available to push them further up the air COMBAT learning curve, and with some luck get them onto the self-sufficient learning phase.

I love running my D9 into a mission. It's like omfg free beef. Usually I'd walk away w/ 5-6 kills in 3-5min and disengage to head out for safety. I love all aspect of it though. I enjoy furball, land grabbing, bnz, 1 v 1. It just depend on my mood when I log in that day. (like right my account is inactive because i'm not in the mood for AHII =D but i'll come back eventually once i'm not bored of it)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 05:14:02 PM by Yenny »
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2009, 05:37:08 PM »
I say 

4 engine - large

how long are our runways on the small fields?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2009, 05:42:57 PM »
I say 

4 engine - large

hmm that is not bad either.
See Rule #4