Author Topic: Dive bombing in Lancasters  (Read 2076 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Dive bombing in Lancasters
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 06:59:24 PM »
That looks like a very tough way to get any sort of accuracy.

As Phanboi pointed out when he was working on Phantoms many centuries ago (yes, he's really that old), it wasn't really developed until after the war when lead computing gunsights were starting to really make their way into aircraft and was a tactic primarily developed to deliver tactical nuclear weapons.  So accuracy wasn't the main aim of the tactic, it was to allow the attacking plane to release their ordnance at a somewhat safe range from either AAA defenses or the bomb blast.

In AH, the principle is somewhat the same.  You don't have to be accurate and score a direct hit, you just have to hit close.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 07:05:08 PM »
I used to toss bomb GVs in the stuka with the MOAB. Id get some alt then dive to the deck for speed. Once I felt close enough I pulled up a little and dropped the bomb. Once you got the hang of timing then you can get more accurate.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 07:18:41 PM »
Dive bombing Flaks is one of my favorite matchups in the game..
Yesterday, was lookin for badguys at Vbase w my trusty old
A20.. Went 4kills, to 4deaths against a good wirby shooter..
Was fun.. I Don't use lanks, because its dorky, and  I don't need
a 4k cookie or 20 x 500lb'ers to hit the guy, lol!!!  
2 do just fine for me...

On the reverse of that, I'm a pretty fair wirby shot myself..
Good enough to often be the last surviving GV at a Vbase, after
the hngrs go down.. Rack up lots of kills, hackin off the redguys
in a MAJOR way... Then the Stankstukas show up.. I stay on my
bicycle, always moving.. Turn directly into them when they line up..
When they reach 1k, I hook a medium turn Left or Right, but not
so tight of a turn as to loose speed.. When ya see him bank the
"Stankies" to keep ya lined up, you know that he'll miss.. If he
banks hard, the bombs will yaw to the opposite side.. Then ya tear
his guts out when he passes.. LOL!!!
The really irritating thing is, his last drop will be that 4k cookie..
ITs SO BIG, that you can't escape the blast area.. Even the lamest
player can kill a gv with that.. Last lank, 4k cookie, lousy drop,
you die anyway..   Its a crutch, for a lame player who couldn't hit
ya strait up..  Thats why I dislike it so much!!!

The loaded lanks doing immelmans is SO HOKEY.. One of the stupidest
and most laughable things in this game.. See it ALL THE TIME!!!
Lanks were KNOWN for shedding wings while dodging searchlights..
They should in the game as well..

The toss bombing tactic in acks pic, was the standard
delivery method for tactical nuclear weapons, developed
by Tactical Air Command in the late 50s.. The Standard
Medium bombers had become outdated by SAM systems..
The F105 Thunderchief was designed specifically, (w internal
bombay for da nuke) and employed by TAC in europe
during the early 60s.. Thats why the Thud was built to be so
MASSIVELY FAST on the deck.. (Cool pic Ack, haven't seen that
one in many years. Looks like it came from USAF training manual.)

Dash in lightnin fast under soviet air defense net, pop up,
launch weapon at Warsaw Pact tank yards, rail yards, airfields..
The arching trajectory would give the pilot time to wing over,
get his donut to the blast, and put a survivable distance between
the the plane and the detonation.. Suicide otherwise!!!

WOW man, If you can hit a GV with an Iron bomb doing that,
I :salute you!!!

RC
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 02:46:21 AM »
I got a really good shot in one time attacking ordinance at a small field. I dropped low to kill a A20 that was doing our GVs a disservice. So I had like 2k to play with but instead I dropped to the deck picked my nose up at 45 degrees in full wep and lofted salvo one twice and so my first bomb hit the ammo bunker near the dar and my second egg hit six GVs that just spawned. No aiming at all other then instinct I just wanted the things off my racks. This is one of the missions that had me crying to HTC for autofilm.  :aok
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline DaddyAck

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 05:43:33 AM »
I used to despise this sort of lanc-stuka dweebery, but I thought it would have died down a bit over time.  I suppose by the posts here that it still happens.

Offline crims

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 06:26:14 AM »
Ack-Ack thanks for the Bombing tips   :noid  :noid  Do you have any GV tips  :noid  :noid

Crims   :lol

Life's to Short Don't Forget To Laugh 479Th Raiders FG

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 12:17:52 PM »
Considering loft bombing was really development post WW2 as a somewhat safe way of delivering tactical nuclear ordnance, doubt the over-the-shoulder method was even used during the war.  However, through trial and error (when it comes to learning how to "aim") it's a method that works quite well in AH.  

I've even used the "Pop-Up" and "Level Toss" methods in the B-25H with some success, though with 3 1,000lb bombs, you really don't have to be all that accurate just need to get close.

ack-ack

The only person I see successful at this tactic is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.  Instead of the sky-hook; the sky-bomb.  :aok
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 12:37:28 PM »
These are the bomb release tables from the B-25C/D service manual. You can see the glide/dive angle for each type of bomb and each bomb station. The first station is closest to the bomb bay door and 12th station is at the top of the bomb bay. The allowable dive angle is dependent on the specific type of bomb and it's location within the bomb bay.

:salute  Baumer
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 12:38:36 PM »
Sorry double post
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009, 07:33:55 PM »
I AM THE KING OF THE LANC-O-MATIC....
KAM

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009, 08:59:55 PM »
Toss/Loft bombing is an actual tactic that is used pretty much by all air forces.  Here is an example of one form of loft bombing, the "Over the Shoulder", it's what I used to use in the P-38J when hunting Osties and WWs.

(Image removed from quote.)

The only possible 'gamey' part would have been using a B-26 but I'm pretty sure the Marauder was capable of performing the most basic loft bombing technique, such as the Pop-Up, Level Toss or even a Dive Toss.

In its most basic from, loft bombing is the act of pulling upwards as you pickle your bombs which gives the bomb additional flight time by starting its ballistic path in an upward vector.  It's a great tactic to use when you're coming off the deck, ensures that you can pickle at low altitude and have your bomb travel the necessary distance to arm itself.

ack-ack

I find "loft" bombing amusing at best.  Funny how this is the first I've ever heard of such legit and *taught* bombing tactics.  The "over-the-shoulder" looks to be like pissin' into the wind.  I have yet to see any film of one doing it and I cant imagine it to be the least bit accurate.  Tell us why that tactic should be applied vs the typical dive bomb?  Seems to me it would expose the aircraft to AA fire longer, be far less accurate of a drop, and put undue stress on teh pilot and aircraft.

Dive bombing Lancs is a travesty in this sim.  One would have to believe that is the Lancs did such a thing with 14k of ord the wings would snap off very similar as the B24's do in AH2.  First, I cant imagine Lancs getting THAT low and doing dive bombs, they were far too expensive to hover that close to ground in that manner and secondly I cant imagine the airframe being able to sustain that kind of stress.  Low level bombing is one thing, but Lanc-Stuka dive bombing is another.  A pathetic and horrid "gamey" tactic it is, nothing more.  It is truely sad that HTC wont fix it because even though I am no engineer in the least bit, I'd be willing to bet for many many reasons the Lancs didnt perform the Lanc-stuka menouver succesfully as it does in AH2.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 09:59:31 PM »
lets be real the carpet bombing stuka lanc are flow by tards that cant get the job done with anyother bombing platform in the game.  Its a compliment and always has been to me when i get bombed by a gv tard that cant it it done in a gv...   

<S>    but dont worry i got my wish posted in the wishlist forum.....we will have formations of whirbles real soon :noid 

"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2009, 11:35:36 PM »
Well SmokinLoon, my father was in the Air Force from 1959-1962 and responsible for repairing the gun and bomb sight system on the F-100. He clearly remembers the sight system having 3 different modes just for loft or lob bombing. He has seen it demonstrated while stationed at Kadena AB on Okinawa. The primary purpose for these attacks was to deliver nuclear weapons from an NOE approach. The over the shoulder approach allowed for passing directly over the target at 500 feet and just subsonic. The vertical maneuver was designed to give the pilot time to escape. And just to tell you how accurate they were, a popular trick at Kadena in 1961 was to load the dive break with toilet paper and then fly over the observer jeep at the ordinance range and perform an "over the shoulder" and on average, 1 or 2 of the rolls (out of 10-15) would land in the jeep! He's going to look through his photo's, and I'll be glad to post them if/when he finds them.

Baumer

F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2009, 11:52:14 PM »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2009, 12:45:18 AM »
Dive bombing Lancs is a travesty in this sim.  One would have to believe that is the Lancs did such a thing with 14k of ord the wings would snap off very similar as the B24's do in AH2.  First, I cant imagine Lancs getting THAT low and doing dive bombs, they were far too expensive to hover that close to ground in that manner and secondly I cant imagine the airframe being able to sustain that kind of stress.  Low level bombing is one thing, but Lanc-Stuka dive bombing is another.  A pathetic and horrid "gamey" tactic it is, nothing more.  It is truely sad that HTC wont fix it because even though I am no engineer in the least bit, I'd be willing to bet for many many reasons the Lancs didnt perform the Lanc-stuka menouver succesfully as it does in AH2.

What kind of bombers did the dam busters use again?