Author Topic: Why dont more people play axis v allies  (Read 5304 times)

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
Re: Why dont more people play axis v allies
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2009, 04:32:53 PM »
If I thought A v A was fun, I'd play Warbirds in the year 2003.

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2009, 05:06:17 PM »
If I thought A v A was fun, I'd play Warbirds in the year 2003.

When Warbirds first introduced WBIII in spring 2002 (if memory serves), the  Historical Arena had No Icons and a steady population of 70+ folks (which was a large number for Warbirds at the time). That was the peak of online historical matchup type flying in the history of MMOG. For me anyway. There is nothing more intense than no icon fights (yes, I have heard every argument under the sun regarding icons so don't bother). I miss that but I know it will never occur again. The few folks that enjoyed that sort of thing have moved on to other things and I don't think you could get more than five people in the world who would fly no icons on a regular basis.

But it was the heyday. And it only lasted about 6 weeks. Warbirds introduced AI scripts into its Main Arena.The HA emptied within an hour of that and never recovered. It straggled on for a while longer and then was finally scrapped because Warbirds put up the World War II Arena (basically the AvA except it had all planes enabled, just not on the same side). Warbirds never recovered from that mistake. It split an already small player base into even smaller piles and folks left in droves. Most eventually came here. Some stayed with WB way too long, myself included.

The AvA is like the Warbirds Historical Arena with Main Arena style settings. For me, it is better than nothing but far short of the mark for the type of historical re-creation I enjoy. Mainly, the neon icons detract from the immersion of the fight. There is nothing more visually stunning than a no icon fight for several reasons. And the tactical differences make for fights that more closely match historical descriptions (so don't tell i should just turn off my own icons). It is a different experience altogether. Not necessarily more fun. More intense is the best description.

Enough nostalgia for the good ole days. Aces High is a much better game by far but the players have changed and the excitement and enthusiasm for such silliness is gone with them.

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2009, 06:54:07 PM »
Mainly, the neon icons detract from the immersion of the fight. There is nothing more visually stunning than a no icon fight for several reasons. And the tactical differences make for fights that more closely match historical descriptions (so don't tell i should just turn off my own icons). It is a different experience altogether. Not necessarily more fun. More intense is the best description.
i know theres been times on some maps with some planes that I was shooting just below the icon due to it just hideing the plane. This would make for some interesting fights if you ask me.
 Of course it wouldnt work in a mixed arena.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline SpiveyCH

• Copper Member
      • http://www.chawks.org
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2009, 07:16:58 PM »
     Took my squad into the AvA.  We had 20 guys and split them even.  We started at a few bases that were not busy.  I did not want to inject 20 guys into the smaller fights, thought it might ruin any good fights going on.  Figured they would work their way down to us.  Things were going good.  After about 40 mins, I notice that the numbers were a bit out of whack.  By this time, all that were in the arena, were in our area.  The Numbers were something like 17  to 11.  Another squad had joined in and were all working together, on one side.  There were about 5 or 6 of them.  One of my guys says over range that the numbers are getting a bit uneven.  The response from one of them in that squad, "Why don't you send a few of your guys over to even it out."  So, we left and went back to the MA.

SpiveyCH
The 364th C-HAWKS Fighter Group

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2009, 07:37:07 PM »
 The response from one of them in that squad, "Why don't you send a few of your guys over to even it out."  So, we left and went back to the MA.

Squadies like to fly with squadies. I think they ment, "Hey, our squad is here , if you want to fly with your squadies, the numbers will be even"

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2009, 07:40:10 PM »
This one time, in the AvA, this guy was like, "why you acting so messed up towards me?" and I was like "why are you acting so messed up towards me?", and he was like " you saying all that stuff about me" and I was like," lots people were saying stuff."

Then I ho'd him and ejected him for letting me ho him. Its against the code you know.

Offline SpiveyCH

• Copper Member
« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2009, 07:53:38 PM »
     They had all their guys on one side, my guys were already split 50/50.  Just thought is would make more sense for them to split and help keep the sides even. 
SpiveyCH

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #157 on: June 20, 2009, 07:55:19 PM »
    Took my squad into the AvA.  We had 20 guys and split them even.  We started at a few bases that were not busy.  I did not want to inject 20 guys into the smaller fights, thought it might ruin any good fights going on.  Figured they would work their way down to us.  Things were going good.  After about 40 mins, I notice that the numbers were a bit out of whack.  By this time, all that were in the arena, were in our area.  The Numbers were something like 17  to 11.  Another squad had joined in and were all working together, on one side.  There were about 5 or 6 of them.  One of my guys says over range that the numbers are getting a bit uneven.  The response from one of them in that squad, "Why don't you send a few of your guys over to even it out."  So, we left and went back to the MA.

Would that be the same day you guys went in there fighting between two bases and when other people started to join in one of your guys PMed my squaddie telling him to leave that area because you guys were doing a squad thing? Then a few minutes later I heard the same thing on range.

It seemed you guys wanted a private place to fight each other without anyone else joining in. Then when they did you guys got mad and ran out.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #158 on: June 20, 2009, 07:59:15 PM »
The only reason I am not in there more is because of numbers, or lack there of.  I know, evil circle, blah blah blah.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline SpiveyCH

• Copper Member
« Reply #159 on: June 20, 2009, 08:08:49 PM »
I did not know of any pm's to you or hear it on range.   They did not come from me.  I did not expect to go into the AvA and be left alone.  I apologize to you and your squaddie.  My intent going in there was to keep my guys even on both sides and hope the rest would help to even it out.  From my POV and what I heard, I thought that the numbers would stay uneven.  
SpiveyCH

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #160 on: June 20, 2009, 08:20:57 PM »
 The comments didn't come from you but they did come from a CH. No need to apologize we just ignored them and went on with the night. There were some of my squad on each side because I remember shooting one down then getting beat up bad by N7. I for one would love to see the CH's come back in there. Its rare for a MA squad to come in there and try to keep numbers even. Most of the time they come in and gang everyone else 3:1 then cry it was just like the MA. And for that I salute you and your squad. :salute
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline dstrip2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #161 on: June 20, 2009, 08:44:46 PM »
i know i personally would love to play ava more often. i always check the numbers, its usually 1 guy if that. if i saw people in there id play it lol. catch 22 i know.

i think one thing that would attract more people would be to have the plane sets divided up like the MA by year, played on a generic battlefield. you know,
ava early,
mid and
late war.

it would still be nice to see the specific scenarios run in there, i think those would be awesome if more people were on.

a more diverse plane set (as mentioned above) and a bit of exposure/advertising if you will would in my opinion significantly help the numbers issue. after that is solved other things can be worked on.

i will say that the few times i have found other people on, they have been of a better caliber than the typical MA stuff. id like to see it stay that way

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #162 on: June 20, 2009, 08:51:27 PM »
Why dont more people play axis v allies

Great game, back in the day...  The biggest reason I don't play is, most of the guys I used to go up against have moved to other cities, have families of their own now...  Just nobody to play the game with...

Tried to get my kids interested in it once, but having two daughters isn't helpful when looking for a strategy game opponent.

:D

In all honesty, I gave my reasons in another thread once and was lambasted by the chosen few.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #163 on: June 20, 2009, 08:52:42 PM »
 :rolleyes:
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #164 on: June 20, 2009, 09:11:55 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Great game, back in the day...  The biggest reason I don't play is, most of the guys I used to go up against have moved to other cities, have families of their own now...  Just nobody to play the game with...

I have that game under my bed right now  :lol ,I bought it when I was 8 years old  :cool:
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27