Author Topic: Surviving the MA lonewolf  (Read 6797 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Surviving the MA lonewolf
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2009, 03:52:03 PM »
Shuffler - there is obviously a difference of opinion regarding game play - no doubt a variety of opinions may exist within the player community when you get right down to it. What seems to be taking place here though is that one group (fight group) seems to be constantly calling to task those who do not follow their style of play. With time this could be seen as  "bashing".

Your position if said with conviction once or twice then well enough and you have my respect for your views - to continue to beat people up over the issue is inappropriate IMHO - I nor do I feel others feel the need to regularily attack you about your style of play. Defend against it yes - attack you - no.

Perhaps it is time for you (and yours) to set this sort of thing aside across the forum and move on. You've made yourself abundantly clear. Just realize others have different views and are entitled to them.

...just my opinion.

....cheers eh! :D

Not beating anyone up. Just trying to state it in a fashion where some of the others can get a handle on what I mean.

I did not start the thread. I was only posting in regards to someone espousing timorous flying. The information was great for someone new. I was just saying to improve they will one day need to get their hands dirty.

I do not care which way you want to fly. Some folks just like GVs... some C47s. To each his own. If they ever want to get better at fighting though... they'll have to take the bull by the horns.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline nimble

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2009, 03:55:25 PM »
My post was simply about surviving the reality of the MA environment and avoiding HOs and getting gangbanged. In it I encouraged finding a "good 1v1 fight" and how to create one safely. I also said it was for newer players. The fact remains however that it is your lack of SA and E management that allows for these things to happen. I'm not sure if some of the anger about the post is coming from the fact people don't want to accept they are at fault or the reality of the MA itself.

Regardless, the points Steve and I made are true. These are realities especially if you fly alone and don't have a squadmate(s) around to coordinate with. When you fly alone in the MA and want to survive, you need to be more calculating in your playstyle. The MA is not the DA. At least if you follow the tips given you have a chance to get a decent 1v1. There is no tip given that is not true to the original post, which overall is a statement that if you get HO'd, gangbanged, or picked in the MA it's your own fault.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 03:57:16 PM by nimble »
Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate. Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this. A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2009, 04:09:17 PM »
My post was simply about surviving the reality of the MA environment and avoiding HOs and getting gangbanged. In it I encouraged finding a "good 1v1 fight" and how to create one safely. I also said it was for newer players. The fact remains however that it is your lack of SA and E management that allows for these things to happen. I'm not sure if some of the anger about the post is coming from the fact people don't want to accept they are at fault or the reality of the MA itself.

Regardless, the points Steve and I made are true. These are realities especially if you fly alone and don't have a squadmate(s) around to coordinate with. When you fly alone in the MA and want to survive, you need to be more calculating in your playstyle. The MA is not the DA. At least if you follow the tips given you have a chance to get a decent 1v1. There is no tip given that is not true to the original post, which overall is a statement that if you get HO'd, gangbanged, or picked in the MA it's your own fault.

I don't think anyone here is angry. I think the reason some here may seem angry is they have been here for awhile and still fly that way. As I already stated it is fine for a new individual. If others want to continue that way that is fine too. I personally am here for the fight and search out others with the same idea. If on some rare occassion I run across one of the individuals that likes to have all the advantages... good luck and I hope he keeps his E well. I'll be down here waiting.

I'm part of a decent squad yet I fly alone quite a bit. I enjoy going into a fray with the competitor or competitors having all the advantages and then coming out the victor after a good fight. Even if I don't make it out... if the fight was good then I won... we all won.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 04:22:43 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2009, 04:26:32 PM »
I enjoy both styles about the same. Am I the only one?  In one night, sometimes in one base to base fight I may do both several times. Each has it's own set of strategies and fun. I think we all agree that purely timid flying is gay, but that is not what the OP and Steve are condoning from what I see.
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2009, 04:33:22 PM »
If on some rare occassion I run across one of the individuals that likes to have all the advantages...

You made a blanket statement that this is what we are advocating in this thread, which is wrong.

Also, since when is having E in a horde  "having all the advantages" ?

I think the reason some here may seem angry is they have been here for awhile and still fly that way.

Who still flies what way?

You seem to be under the mistaken belief that circling aorund on the deck somehow requires more skill than some other way of flying.  This amuses me.  You imagine yourself somehow more enlightened and noble because you fly in circles; as if this is any harder to do than what some others do. I really hope you don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.  I also hope this doesn't crush you emotionally but, here goes:  turning in circles requires no more skill than BnZ fighting.

For me personally, I have no problem getting into a circles fight if the opportunity presents it, even against you 38 sticks... who has all the advantages then?   The difference is, I don't need to put down one style of play to make myself feel superior. It's all the same.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 04:36:52 PM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2009, 04:36:12 PM »
How about we go with "Meek" for those in this thread apparently feeling a little guilty  :D

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2009, 04:44:58 PM »
How about we go with "Meek" for those in this thread apparently feeling a little guilty  :D

Meek, timid, it's all the same. I'd call any stick with more than a few months experience who averages 4 or 5 kills an hour to be very timid... or meek if you prefer.
If he's furballing and getting kills at such an anemic rate, he's got to be timid. It's very easy to get very high kills per hour just turning in circles til you die. There's no time wasted RTB'ing.     :aok

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2009, 04:45:50 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

this thread makes Ozzy Sad ...  

:) instantly thought of Boelke and his (pretty definitive) rules when I read the OP.

Good post Nimble, and nice followup from Steve too. :aok  

as for the rest of it ... well no surprise "timid" had been thrown about. for me it isnt "all about the fight", theres a big element of immersion too, which usually means trying to land safe. but this can change every sortie, if i'm winging then my wingman landing alive is #1 priority and any kills we get are a bonus, any epic fights a big bonus. other sorties may be last ditch defenses where stopping the enemy is the priority and the chances of surviving very slim.

basically if you have 300 players in the air, you have 300 different games being played. this is one of the great things about AH, the gameplay is so open ended that it can accommodate everyone from furballing quake style players in LA7s to the guys who are prepared to take B17s to historic alts on 2h strat bombing missions. pretty cool huh? :)

edit:
I'd call any stick with more than a few months experience who averages 4 or 5 kills an hour to be very timid... or meek if you prefer.

... or perhaps someone who doesnt get to fly at peak US time. lies, damn lies, and statistics ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 04:48:19 PM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline nimble

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2009, 04:47:01 PM »
I enjoy both styles about the same. Am I the only one?  In one night, sometimes in one base to base fight I may do both several times. Each has it's own set of strategies and fun. I think we all agree that purely timid flying is gay, but that is not what the OP and Steve are condoning from what I see.

Absolutely! Finding a good 1v1 or even 2v1 that I can work stalls speeds and angles is my favorite thing to do in the game. Unfortunately in the MA, chances are you will get picked. It sucks to be coming off the high of a great 1v1 just to end up in the tower. I don't think anyone who knows me would say I'm afraid of a good 1v1, I just really, really, really hate it when JimJoeBobJr kills me when in any other circumstance he'd be dead after the first merge. I don't however blame said JimJoeBobJr for killing me, because it was my lack of macro SA that allowed for it. So now I try to create my own 1v1s away from the horde. It works out much better.

Maybe I titled my post badly, maybe not. I still think the ideas presented by myself and Steve remain true to the title.
Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate. Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this. A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2009, 04:51:20 PM »
... or perhaps someone who doesnt get to fly at peak US time. lies, damn lies, and statistics ;)

Another reason to hate the big maps!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2009, 05:05:33 PM »
You made a blanket statement that this is what we are advocating in this thread, which is wrong.

Also, since when is having E in a horde  "having all the advantages" ?

Who still flies what way?

You seem to be under the mistaken belief that circling aorund on the deck somehow requires more skill than some other way of flying.  This amuses me.  You imagine yourself somehow more enlightened and noble because you fly in circles; as if this is any harder to do than what some others do. I really hope you don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.  I also hope this doesn't crush you emotionally but, here goes:  turning in circles requires no more skill than BnZ fighting.

For me personally, I have no problem getting into a circles fight if the opportunity presents it, even against you 38 sticks... who has all the advantages then?   The difference is, I don't need to put down one style of play to make myself feel superior. It's all the same.

:rofl You should read what I posted. Then take a few minutes to let it sink in. Then look at what you posted.

Oh and lose the superiority/ inferiority complex.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 05:07:57 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ap1102

• Copper Member
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2009, 05:10:52 PM »
Nimble I looked up the definition of Alt-monkey.

1) Anyone flying 2k higher than EZRhino

that would include rook or bish........lol

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2009, 05:15:40 PM »
Meek, timid, it's all the same. I'd call any stick with more than a few months experience who averages 4 or 5 kills an hour to be very timid... or meek if you prefer.
If he's furballing and getting kills at such an anemic rate, he's got to be timid. It's very easy to get very high kills per hour just turning in circles til you die. There's no time wasted RTB'ing.     :aok
My comment was directed at those offended by the word timid, thus the  :D Sheesh

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2009, 05:19:11 PM »

Oh and lose the superiority/ inferiority complex.

You're the one claiming one style of play requires more SA or skill than the other.

For anyone else it is just plain timid flying.... and you won't get any better.

How do you know what your plane is capable of unless you really push it.
As if yank and bankers are the only ones "who push it"

If you consistently place yourself in the middle of a furball, your situational awareness will get better and better.

Perhaps you should take your own advice.

I  read your posts and all I saw is some guy who seems to think his style of play is somehow better than another. as I've said in this thread:  it's all the same.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2009, 05:19:54 PM »
My comment was directed at those offended by the word timid, thus the  :D Sheesh

I think the word is used too broadly by the holier-than-thou types like Shuffler.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 05:30:52 PM by Steve »