Author Topic: Frame 1 Rules Clarification.......  (Read 4206 times)

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
Re: Frame 1 Rules Clarification.......
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2009, 10:54:01 PM »
Sim,

Did you just get off the bus?   :lol
You think your having a good time, I am laughing my arse off.  
For some of your comments to even attempt to contradict what I have said, as well as others, are ludicrous.  And for you not even to have been there and to question me, that's laughable.

Everything that I have stated about hull thickness of ships is common knowledge.  You debate that?

If you think that this is about ego your wrong.  It may be about yours in question now.

This all started with a clarification to the posted rules.  Then has morphed into the gamey aspects, then into other make believe things.  And to tell you the truth, I don't even know why I am responding to you.  :lol  I made my point several times, and debunked some myths already.  Cause my Crown Reserve is doing me right.

Did you read the part about it being gamey or M-A'ish to strafe a CV as a last ditch effort for points, etc. etc.  That's been admitted. Not only through the action of doing it, but it was stated that was the purpose.

FSO isn't going to be perfect, but the scenario in question and the actions in the scenario can be improved.  With that said, CV's were never strafed with .50 cal and sank from it, bomb damage alone sank CV's, it never happened by finishing it off with 50 cal.  This happens in the MA everyday.  Some of us don't expect to see it in the FSO.  Sure its happened in the past, I haven't seen it until this last one, and I play FSO often.  I was disgusted from what I saw, nothing more than a MA tactic and asked for clarification, I didn't accuse anyone of anything, didn't label anyone, I simply stated I don't agree with it and history and facts is why.

Sure I have participated in CV raids in the FSO, but we killed them with bombs.  Never thought twice about strafing it.  Didn't have too, used the skill from what I have practiced to be successful.  Didn't need to take an easy route.

While you rant about me, you have not provided anything to add but to try and discredit what I have stated.  Some insist, that a .50 cal round could and has, sank a CV.  Never happened.  Some insist that .50 cal has sunk a cruiser. Never happened.
If so, you could please enlighten me.

I hear you rant, just all bark, no bite.  

And after meeting you Sir, I think my signature really sums up how you have ended up looking in my thread.   Shipmate.....  :rofl
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 11:00:25 PM by Dadsguns »

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2009, 11:33:36 PM »
Your defense is that the ships were of thick metal, so bullets couldn't penetrate?

Not getting into the issue with the frame itself, folks seem to underestimate the hitting power of .50 caliber API (armor-piercing-incendiary) rounds.

You'd think a cast iron 100-ton (or whatever) locomotive engine with armor plating plastered all over it would be nigh invulnerable to "mere" bullets, right?

Well the USAAF made good sport of shooting at trains and exploding their boilers by the dozens.

The guns were very powerful. In real life, I mean.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2009, 12:11:20 AM »
Krusty,
50 cal is a powerful round for sure.  But against anything thicker than .87 armor plate its not.  If its 1 inch thick armor, nothing will penetrate, if you put several rounds in that exact spot maybe.  Ships were in the range of 1.5 to 4 inch thick depending on location, you could imagine all you heard was the pinging and see scratched paint.

I quoted the ballistic characteristics to penetrate armor up to .87 using .50 cal (AP) (API) (APIT) ammo of that time in WWII.

Cast iron has a very poor ballistic proof quality and will shatter or crack upon impact according to its thickness due to the casting process. 
If a train covered in armor was to be hit with a 50 cal round, anything penetrating the armor which probably was nowhere near the thickness needed to stop this round would cause instant catstrophic failure of the cast iron boiler under enormous amount of pressure.

Some trains were attempted to be covered with ballistic armor, most was not. It was too expensive and added much more weight.

The enemy also did not have the capability of manufacturing hardened AR steel plate back then so the steel was much softer by standards today, so everything had to be much thicker for it to be effective, thicker meant heavier.

US ships back then had no choice but to add thicker, but milder steel for ballistic protection than todays AR steel. 

AR500 is pretty much the industry standard in ballistic steel at shooting ranges, military ranges, portable steel targets etc including ships constructed today. 

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2009, 12:33:55 AM »
(Spots an unused soapbox lying in the corner)

If the CV could be sunk by some planes staffing it, as has been said before, that ship was already dead.  No amount of debate, discussion, "facts" on hull thickness or what have you is going to change it.  The CV was hammered so much that all it took was some planes to strafe it down.  Some of you seem to want a technicality to explain your lack of defensive capabilities.  Tough, get over it, you lost a CV.  Blaming the attack instead of learning from a lack of defense is unfortunate.  Some, in the past, would have shrugged off the loss with nothing more than this.  "Whoa, didn't see that one coming, let's make sure we don't let those buggers in again, k?"  Now, it's an endless rant on the laws of physics and text book examples of some hull thicknesses!  :cry

Your intelligence is measured by those around you
SIM is a very good friend of mine. Consider who he has around him. I'd prefer it if ideas were discussed instead of personalities.  But hey, that's just me.  

I could have, but up to this point had opted not to, contribute further in this so called "debate".  But the fact of the matter is this.  The CV sunk, had it been defended, it wouldn't have fallen to some fighters, so MOVE ON.  You don't even have to have flown to grasp that so very basic of concepts.  Argue hull thickness all you want, the plain and simple fact is this.  Not a foul, no harm, not a problem at all, but had those planes not gotten to the fleet, this conversation would not have occured. (This is where a lightbulb smiley would come in handy)  This response is not about who Did or Didn't defend, who Did or Didn't attack, it's simply a comment on the dumming down of events.

Far too many of you insist on arguing the "facts" of an event after the fact.  That's simply a waste of time, and quite easy to do after the hard work and on the spot decision making has been done by someone else.  The admins put plenty of time into designing these, and then it's up to the players to live or die by their actions. There isn't a perfect scenario.  There is an event that is designed so that one side had one type of advantage, and another has a different type.  Both sides have an opportunity to win.  Here's the ugly truth, some are simply going to lose, it's a 2 sided event and it's going to happen.  Get over it, get used to it.  Arguing the specifics of a fantasy situation after the fact of an actual event will do Squat, Diddly and Nada for the next event, because the conditions will be absolutely and completely different.

At some point some of you might actually get a clue and realize that historical reality plays NO PART of these events.  You don't have anyone below deck.  You don't have anyone in the thick of battle.  You have to get your head on straight and deal with the reality of the GAME CONDITIONS and prevail, no amount of text book footnotes and facts will accomplish a thing in here.  When you log in with no A/C, no snacks by your side, no ipod playing tunes in the background, and DIE when you are shot, Then you can start quoting scripture on what was and should be.  

Until then, deal with the game conditions and quit spoiling these events.  

Everything that I have stated about hull thickness of ships is common knowledge.  You debate that?
 I debate that.  It's PIXELS and irrelevant information.  Deal with reality, not your grandstanding about how smart you are pulling details from a spec book.  The scenario can be most improved by knocking off the endless prattle and irrelevant arguments over trivial details that have nothing to do with the reality of the conditions in the game.  Imagine, if you will, our leaders during WW2 arguing over what some book said should happen, instead of dealing with the reality of the actual conditions!  Stow It for crying out loud!  There is not a manufacturer manual or spec book that wasn't used for TP during the war.  Trying to stuff those figures into a Video Game, Generations later, is ludicrous beyond belief.

I swear, I am dying to get back into the game, but the more I read, the more I hesitate.  These fact checkers need to be replaced by simple "Can Do" players again.  At some point, we lost the players that didn't care what the conditions were, we did what we could, with what we had, and usually won.  These events are not going to improve while the arm chair googlers reign supreme.  It's the mentality of the players that make these a success.  It isn't the design, it isn't the rules, it's nothing more than a simple mindset of "we can win with what we are given".  I don't see a change on the horizon.

Now, for the PC crowd, here is the little disclaimer.  If I struck a nerve, tough.  If you think I'm talking about you, look behind you, there is someone in the shadows.  If you agree, fine but I don't care.  If you disagree, why would that matter to me more than those who agree with me? Everyone logs in to enjoy the game for their own reasons.  Truth be told, actions speak louder than words, and what you say is far far less relevant that what you do.  Hope you find something enjoyable out of this game.  For the life of me, I have no idea why anyone could take something as pleasurable as a social game like this, and try to turn it into some pissing contest over who can google irrelevant facts faster than someone else.

(Discards soapbox)
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2009, 12:43:12 AM »
   Its silly to keep going over this stuff.  What happens in real life and what happens here is moot. If people dont want the ships to be sunk by gunfire then make them indestructible and add up the bomb hits to decide. This one would have sunk in real life(and if hits were tallied) so it doesnt matter. The way it was hit it probably would have blown up rather than just sink. And if we are truly playing the real life card then it being an IJN ship any 1 of those bombs could have caused catastrophic damage.

You have to leave options open to players in FSO, especially towards the end.

Also the ALL or Nothing thing you mention goes both ways as I tried to explain earlier. If we hadnt strafed it, it would have been considered 100% healthy. Not on our watch.

The ship sunk...lets move on the frame 2.

( loads P40 with +5 magic missiles)

see sig

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 12:48:59 AM by FiLtH »

~AoM~

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2009, 01:19:55 AM »
In real life, a .50cal sniper round at 1000 yards can punch through 1/2 inch HARDENED steel (not just soft ship steel) with enough force to punch all the way through ANOTHER 1/2 hardened steel 1 yard behind that and keep going!

your "1 inch" comment is false. Even "soft skinned" vehicles in WW2 had "1 inch" of protective steel, and small arms fire could and did knock them out throughout the war. 1 inch of steel only stopped .30 cal and similar rounds.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2009, 07:22:31 AM »
I have read this thread with a great deal of amusement.

One individual is working tirelessly to salvage a damaged ego, while others work just as hard to explain the circumstances and conditions that needed to be and were met for the actions to happen in the FSO.

I did NOT fly the FSO nor have I flown in one in some time.

But I can understand the rules quiet easily, and no where to date has there been a portion that I could see as being "gamed" or abused.

Please Dadsguns, tell us your background in ship building and structural support. I would really find that interesting.

As a veteran sailor, if I knew that an aircraft with .50cal weapons was about to strafe my ship, I for one would be praying for a miss on the attackers part. His weapons may not penetrate the hull, but they would certainly penetrate all spaces above the waterline. The damage caused would be tremendous!

While I did NOT serve during the war, I know enough about the systems of those ships to say that Dadsgun, please stop. Your notes are biased at the very least by your attempt at saving face. They are NOT wholly supported by the facts that you state.

At any point that you desire to further debate what could and would likely happen aboard a ship being strafed, please send me a PM. If your current line of thought is what you intend to follow, be prepared to have your ego crushed.

After reading all your posts, I think my signature really sums up how you have ended up looking in this thread.

After reading your post sir I think you are the one that needs to post your credentials if you continue to discredit someone.

I on the other hand have developed armor piercing tungsten rounds (SLAP and SLAP-T variants) for the military to provide them with a second source.

I have fired AP (and a lot of other) rounds and have seen first hand what they can do to steel and Dadsgun is 100% correct.

<S> Dadsguns....you arent alone in your opinion.

Strip
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 07:26:11 AM by Strip »

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2009, 09:23:56 AM »
Sheez ROC don't hold back tell us what you really think, hell we are all waiting with baited breath  :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :rofl
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2009, 09:46:18 AM »
Wow...interesting thread.  Started with "attacking with a credible force before T+60", went to "you cannot attack after T+60", and then to "they didn't kill capital ships with bullets in real life", and now "you aren't qualified to speak about real life"...where will it go next?

Someone please pass the popcorn...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:51:56 AM by ImADot »
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2009, 10:05:34 AM »
People have put together missions to gun down cv's in the MA when no ordinance was available.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2009, 11:25:34 AM »
In real life, a .50cal sniper round at 1000 yards can punch through 1/2 inch HARDENED steel (not just soft ship steel) with enough force to punch all the way through ANOTHER 1/2 hardened steel 1 yard behind that and keep going!

your "1 inch" comment is false. Even "soft skinned" vehicles in WW2 had "1 inch" of protective steel, and small arms fire could and did knock them out throughout the war. 1 inch of steel only stopped .30 cal and similar rounds.

:rofl  Just a date check here, but 50cal "sniper" rounds were not developed until much later after WWII.  WWII ammo as the discussion pertains.
And yes they are capable of much more damage than the 50cal rounds used in WWII with the development of penetrators and such.  

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:30:18 AM by Dadsguns »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2009, 11:31:49 AM »
Dads, it's the same old M2 50cal round, just in a sniper rifle.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2009, 11:40:51 AM »
Dads, it's the same old M2 50cal round, just in a sniper rifle.

You believe that? 

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2009, 11:54:18 AM »
You believe that? 

They arent that dissimilar performance wise, they are however made to much more refined level.

Strip

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2009, 12:04:23 PM »
Two very different muzzle velocities, and surely ballistics and kinetics.