Author Topic: collisions bug exploit??  (Read 4190 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: collisions bug exploit??
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2010, 02:36:51 PM »
More packets would change nothing related to the discrepancies in distance you see do to lag.

It would make nada,0, null, difference.

If you wish to know why, look up my patent on a method of doing the smoothing.

HiTech

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2010, 02:54:49 PM »

Where do I find it? :)

I think I understand what you are trying to say.  The discrepancy is due to smoothing and not due to the lag?  Meaning the choices would be to update positions more often with no smoothing, and that would lead to mini warps (as slap was saying) or use smoothing and I would not be able to see a difference from the way things are now due to the algorithm.

So, 250ms is like the optimum delay in order to have effective smoothing and planes not jumping around but also reducing bandwidth and CPU cycles spend on packet translation etc.

How far am I?

Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2010, 04:54:25 PM »
I think the idea here is that a "vet" is more likely to get in to a close quarters fight and that increases the chance of a collision.   A new player will probably collide because the re-entry speed locked up his controls.

I always thought those were meteors, but now it makes sense.

Here ya go Ded- when all else fails, Google his name.  :D

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6042477/fulltext.html
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2010, 09:21:20 PM »
Where do I find it? :)

I think I understand what you are trying to say.  The discrepancy is due to smoothing and not due to the lag?  Meaning the choices would be to update positions more often with no smoothing, and that would lead to mini warps (as slap was saying) or use smoothing and I would not be able to see a difference from the way things are now due to the algorithm.

So, 250ms is like the optimum delay in order to have effective smoothing and planes not jumping around but also reducing bandwidth and CPU cycles spend on packet translation etc.

How far am I?

You were speaking about collisions. When you are seeing warps you are talking in the range of multiple seconds of no packets not MS.

HiTech

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: February 01, 2010, 08:54:41 AM »
You were speaking about collisions. When you are seeing warps you are talking in the range of multiple seconds of no packets not MS.

HiTech

Not really, I am more interested in not getting shot from impossible angles than the collisions.  On the collisions I just figured that if planes in the two FEs were closer to the real position it would increase the chance of both seeing a collision at the same time.

I am just curious why a faster rate would not help me with the getting shot from impossible angles problem.  If the update interval makes no difference, then why not update every 2 seconds?  To me that means that there is some algorithm optimized or tightly coupled to that time interval.  In any case, it would be nice if that could improve.  If not, thats fine also.  I'd be curious to know why but if the answer is this is proprietary info so be it.

The "I know something you don't" answers don't help though.   :D
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #140 on: February 01, 2010, 09:46:23 AM »
If the update interval makes no difference, then why not update every 2 seconds?  To me that means that there is some algorithm optimized or tightly coupled to that time interval.

good question :headscratch:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli