Author Topic: Jonah's Commandments for Fun  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
Re: Jonah's Commandments for Fun
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2010, 02:39:44 PM »
I have never understood the "easy mode" comments.  No insult intended Gyrene, but all planes can be shot down.  It comes down to your skill level, how well you know your plane, and how you should fight that plane against a given enemy aircraft.   I don't know how most do it, but when engaging my head is spieling facts and figures (which by the way have to be taken with a grain of salt due to pilot skills).  Can it outturn me?  Can that plane outroll me?  Vertical performance?  Am I faster?  Can it dive with me?   On and on... This helps me develop a strategy for the dogfight.

:salute

Way

I'm by no means an 'expert' but having flown both the spit 9 & 16 and the 109g14, I personally feel that the spits are much more forgiving and take less attention to fight effectively with. They appear to allow you to make mistakes in ACM execution and choice while still not completely blowing your chances at wining the fight. This is especially true with the spit 16. Also, making shots with the weaponry is much easier in the spits with the hispanos than the 109 with the 30mm. And good aim makes a huge difference.

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2010, 02:50:47 PM »
I'm by no means an 'expert' but having flown both the spit 9 & 16 and the 109g14, I personally feel that the spits are much more forgiving and take less attention to fight effectively with. They appear to allow you to make mistakes in ACM execution and choice while still not completely blowing your chances at wining the fight. This is especially true with the spit 16. Also, making shots with the weaponry is much easier in the spits with the hispanos than the 109 with the 30mm. And good aim makes a huge difference.

I still challenge the "easy mode" statement because almost any plane with the right pilot behind the stick can be considered "easy mode".  See Humble's comments above.  The Spits have deficiencies that can be exploited. However, if you step into the Spitfire's envelope of best performance and your plane and/or skill is not better, then you are in trouble.  Knowing that line and when to cross it is a big plateau that we all reach at some point.

PS-Darn those guys at Supermarine Aviation Works for building such well balanced planes. :D
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2010, 03:00:14 PM »
This all goes back to pilot and plane strength. No question the spitty is easier to fly but regardless of plane type if you talk to guys who are known for flying a particular plane they rarely view the spitfire as significant threat. I think that most of them like me view the spitIX and the seafire as bigger threats then the XVI. I've always found that the guys like bruv who fly the 16 well also fly everything else exceptionally well. The average spitty driver lets the plane do the heavy lifting and is somewhat deficient in certain aspects of ACM much of the time.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2010, 03:07:22 PM »
The biggest issue I have with the spitty is its inability to bleed E quickly. It's very susceptible to a good "two way game". what I mean by that is a good stick who flys in the verticals and works his throttle and G load can make it very difficult for a spit driver to avoid either overshooting or scrubbing so much E he is -E all of a sudden. Any time the spit driver is +E and presented with a largely in plane fight the combination of guns and pure turn make things pretty easy...but put that same spitty in a fight were the other guy gets him fast then slow then fast and uses roll/pitch/yaw (obviously the XVI does roll much better then the VIII/IX) now the average spitty driver is struggling to keep up with his plane.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2010, 11:07:32 AM »
The First commandment is hard to follow due to my 109 dweebness.
(K-4 = 20 G-14 = 25)

But i CONCURR with the rest.

perdweeb
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2010, 11:08:24 AM »
BTW, I love the Snoop Doggy Dogg reference. Insert Squaddies :)

perdweeb (Jonah's CO and owner)
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2010, 11:11:51 AM »
You can stick number 5 up your bottom, whale bait.

Haha, spit's are weeny planes, to easy to fly.

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2010, 11:14:41 AM »
This all goes back to pilot and plane strength. No question the spitty is easier to fly but regardless of plane type if you talk to guys who are known for flying a particular plane they rarely view the spitfire as significant threat. I think that most of them like me view the spitIX and the seafire as bigger threats then the XVI. I've always found that the guys like bruv who fly the 16 well also fly everything else exceptionally well. The average spitty driver lets the plane do the heavy lifting and is somewhat deficient in certain aspects of ACM much of the time.

you must be getting me confused with Kazaa,   I only up the 16 on rare occasions If I need to dodge 4 or 5 guys capping a field.  Changing direction quickly helps snapshooting BnZers.    

I fly the Spit 8  + 9  if i'm taking a Spit up.   I fly what I fancy and usually do very well in most rides.

I do laugh at the guys who call Spitfire's easy mode though yes they are forgiving but If you stand toe to toe against a Spitfire experten Your going to die REAL quick.  The best example of this is Draggon's  Spit 16.   Resorts to name calling soon as you get punked in two / three turns
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 11:19:48 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2010, 12:04:50 PM »

Yeap, that doesn't sound like Bruv, he sucks in a Spitfire.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 12:08:11 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2010, 12:15:05 PM »
Here's how I feel about Spits.

If you're "good" in a Spit, you're average at best. If you're and expert in a Spit you're good.

Bruv on the other hand, just sucks completely  :neener:

perdweeb
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2010, 12:16:45 PM »
Here's how I feel about Spits.

If you're "good" in a Spit, you're average at best. If you're and expert in a Spit you're good.

Bruv on the other hand, just sucks completely  :neener:

perdweeb

I lol at your generalisation.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 12:31:39 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2010, 01:32:01 PM »
I lol at your generalisation.
Is that how you limeys spell generalization?   :O
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2010, 01:57:46 PM »
Is that how you limeys spell generalization?   :O

Perhaps he was taken short in his lorry and had to use the loo for a bit. Whilst there, he marvelled at the colours (though most of it was black as tarmacadam) produced by his labours to the extent that he saved a bit in the bin liner. Though it smelled of petrol, he still felt compelled to take it on holiday. While showing it to marvelling spectators at Caravan park, he was accosted by a constable. She was a pretty bird but was not at all impressed at his offal. She checked him into mental hospital as a result. He still resides there, consulting with his vicar and his solicitor daily, and only ventures outside after donning his mac - whether the sky is grey or not.

Har-umph.

Lethbridge-Stewart, DSO, retd.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2010, 03:05:43 PM »
Spits are more fun.  They are more fun to fight against and still pretty fun to fight in.  Things that specialize in running are not fun.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2010, 05:44:29 PM »
Things that specialize in running are not fun.

sure they are.   it's not the plane that makes a rundweeb, it's the pilot.   brewsters and zeros sometimes drop the nose and try to run.    just because u fly a fast plane does not make you a runner.
-AoM-