Author Topic: Your Spitfire XVI quiz question of the day.  (Read 7000 times)

Offline palef

• Gold Member
Re: Your Spitfire XVI quiz question of the day.
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2010, 03:44:06 PM »
Just what i was looking for. Thank you Bronk  :salute :lol X-IV

Not following you. The Spitfire Mark IV (4) was the Griffon development mule. Which part of that don't you get?
Retired

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2010, 03:56:40 PM »
Not following you. The Spitfire Mark IV (4) was the Griffon development mule. Which part of that don't you get?
I'm sorry. I thought you were poking at me about not using Roman numerials. Hence the X-IV---> 10-4, rgr, ok then.....

:lol
Lighten up Francis

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2010, 11:32:59 PM »
uptown,

Also keep in mind that not all mark numbers ended up getting used.  For example, the Mk IV was reserved for the redesigned Griffon Spitfire that ended up using Mk.21 and on.

This is true of other aircraft at times as well.  The A6M4 designation was reserved for the Zero with a turbocharged engine that never ended up happening.

Actually that's not completely accurate on the Spitfire IV.  DP845 and DP851 were initially designated Mk IV.  DP845 ended up becoming the prototype Spitfire XII with the single stage Griffon IIB.  DP851 ended up with the two stage Griffon testing

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2010, 11:35:57 PM »
the XIV was  the first two stage griffon though? :headscratch: yes the VII was the first griffon
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2010, 12:13:22 AM »
the XIV was  the first two stage griffon though? :headscratch: yes the VII was the first griffon

The Spitfire IV was the first Griffon Spit used for testing.  The first production Griffon Spitfire was the XII.  DP845 the first IV was redesignated Spitfire XII.  The Spitfire XIV was the first production two stage Griffon Spit.  DP851, the second Spitfire IV was used for development testing of the two stage Griffon Spit.

The VII was a high alt Merlin 70 engined, extended wing, pressurized cockpit version of the Spitfire, basically a mix of the IX and VIII as it didn't have the tropicalization of the VIII, which was like the initial Spitfire IX,  but did have the pointed tail and retractable tail wheel as well as the shorter span ailerons of the VIII.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2010, 12:17:55 AM »
i got so mixed up in what i said there its not funny... i meant the XII not the VII. whatever though you explained it
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2010, 09:09:10 AM »
I said ... "which is just about as deadly as the Spit 16" ... key word "about".

I spent years in the Spit V and for the life of me, I don't remember it's roll rate as being poor ... at least for the type of fights I got into ... it was it's roll rate that won many fights for me.

Standing on "about" isn't exactly a muscular retort.  My opinion of "deadly" is subjective.  Your opinion of "deadly" is subjective. 

The 16's superiority in rate of roll, when compared to all other Spitfires, is not subjective.

Take your Spit 5 up for a few sorties and then take a Spit 16 up for a few sorties.  You tell me which one can change direction on the blink of an eye. 

Don't mistakenly construe my argument to be a whine.  Ive been around here far too long to waste my time putting any real effort into arguing this subject with perk/unperk as the point of interest.

The fact of the matter is simple; whereas every other airplane in the game has at *least* one weakness - something that it is just God-awful at performing - the Spitfire 16 does not.

Climb, dive, E-retention, initial turn, sustained turn, weapons package, visibility, rate of roll.

The 16 is the *only* cartoon aircraft in the game which allows you to check "All of the above."

The guy behind the monitor is the only potential weakness and, frankly speaking, if you have been playing for more than about six months, there is really no excuse for being killed in one.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2010, 09:33:44 AM »

The Spitfire IV was the first Griffon Spit used for testing.  The first production Griffon Spitfire was the XII.  DP845 the first IV was redesignated Spitfire XII.  The Spitfire XIV was the first production two stage Griffon Spit.  DP851, the second Spitfire IV was used for development testing of the two stage Griffon Spit.

The VII was a high alt Merlin 70 engined, extended wing, pressurized cockpit version of the Spitfire, basically a mix of the IX and VIII as it didn't have the tropicalization of the VIII, which was like the initial Spitfire IX,  but did have the pointed tail and retractable tail wheel as well as the shorter span ailerons of the VIII.

I wonder why HTC went with the Spitfire IV instead of the Spitfire XII? It would seem logical to me that they'd with the production model instead of the testing model.

Also Dan, what do you mean by tropicalization.

Lighten up Francis

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2010, 11:03:46 AM »
Standing on "about" isn't exactly a muscular retort.

I wasn't meant to "muscular" ... it is what it is ... an adverb ...

S: (adv) approximately, about, close to, just about, some, roughly, more or less, around, or so

I too have been around here far too long ... and have plenty of seat time in Spits so I really don't need to fly a few sorties to know what each is capable of. I wasn't refuting the 16's roll rate at speed, as a matter of fact I said that was it's express intent with the clipped wings, and on the other hand, I said that any of the other Spits also have excellent roll rates within their fight envelope, which is not at high speed ... Spit 1/5/8/9 weren't meant to fight in high speed fights so trying to compare the 16's roll rate at speed to those Spits is out of context.

The guy behind the monitor is the only potential weakness and, frankly speaking, if you have been playing for more than about six months, there is really no excuse for being killed in one.

Yet they keep on dieing with regularity with many degrees of expertise behind the stick and have yet to prove that they can change the face of dog fighting in the MA.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2010, 11:08:02 AM »
"have yet to prove they change the face of dogfighting in the MA?"

Wth?

That's like saying "Air has yet to be proven to change the face of life on Earth"

The spit8/16 combo is THE most commonly used plane in the game (together they outnumber the P-51, and they are essentially the same plane. Even considering the Spit16 by itself, it's just a hair under the P-51 use and most P-51s are also being used to avoid fights or to bomb things which isn't as much the case with the Spitties).

That's like saying "Oh, yeah, the Chog was perked because even with the limited planeset it was taking up 20% of all the kills in the arenas and every fight had way too many of them, but it has yet to be proven that they effected the face of dogfighting in the MAs."

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2010, 01:13:59 PM »
I wasn't meant to "muscular" ... it is what it is ... an adverb ...

S: (adv) approximately, about, close to, just about, some, roughly, more or less, around, or so

I too have been around here far too long ... and have plenty of seat time in Spits so I really don't need to fly a few sorties to know what each is capable of. I wasn't refuting the 16's roll rate at speed, as a matter of fact I said that was it's express intent with the clipped wings, and on the other hand, I said that any of the other Spits also have excellent roll rates within their fight envelope, which is not at high speed ... Spit 1/5/8/9 weren't meant to fight in high speed fights so trying to compare the 16's roll rate at speed to those Spits is out of context.

Yet they keep on dieing with regularity with many degrees of expertise behind the stick and have yet to prove that they can change the face of dog fighting in the MA.

Slap, youre a good guy - why are you getting lost in semantics and quoting Dictionary.com instead of engaging in discussion?

What gives?

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2010, 01:27:46 PM »

Slap, youre a good guy - why are you getting lost in semantics and quoting Dictionary.com instead of engaging in discussion?

What gives?

Was wondering the same when you decided to comment on my use of 'about' ... I guess my use of 'about' was too vague ?

And ... your right ... I am a good guy ... ;)
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2010, 01:48:52 PM »
I wonder why HTC went with the Spitfire IV instead of the Spitfire XII? It would seem logical to me that they'd with the production model instead of the testing model.

Also Dan, what do you mean by tropicalization.

HTC modeled the Spitfire XIV which is the two stage Griffon production model.

Tropicalized Spits had the bigger filter under the nose.  All the two stage Merlin models in AH have that tropical intake.  The Spit IX didn't have it initially but it was added later on in particular when they moved to the continent as the dust was such a problem.  Spits that were designated to only be based in England were not required to have tropicalization so the Spit XII as an example never had it.

Any based outside of England had the larger intake filter added so Desert birds, MTO based, CBI, PTO based birds all had them.

This is a Spitfire VII based out of England.  Note the small intake under the nose.  Because Spit VIIs were all based in England, they never were tropicalized.  It's essentially a pressurized Spitfire VIII for high alt work.

This is an RAAF Spitfire VIII of 79 Squadron out of the Pacific.  Note the larger tropical filter under the nose.  Any Spit IX, VIII that were based outside England had this added.

The first Spits to be tropicalized were Spit Vs that were sent to Malta.
Below are some England based Spitfire Vc of 91`Squadron.  Note the small intake under the nose.

This is a tropicalized Spitfire Vc in the MTO.  Note the big filter.  It was quite the performance hit and not real popular.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2010, 01:50:51 PM »
Standing on "about" isn't exactly a muscular retort.  My opinion of "deadly" is subjective.  Your opinion of "deadly" is subjective. 

The 16's superiority in rate of roll, when compared to all other Spitfires, is not subjective.

Take your Spit 5 up for a few sorties and then take a Spit 16 up for a few sorties.  You tell me which one can change direction on the blink of an eye. 

Don't mistakenly construe my argument to be a whine.  Ive been around here far too long to waste my time putting any real effort into arguing this subject with perk/unperk as the point of interest.

The fact of the matter is simple; whereas every other airplane in the game has at *least* one weakness - something that it is just God-awful at performing - the Spitfire 16 does not.

Climb, dive, E-retention, initial turn, sustained turn, weapons package, visibility, rate of roll.

The 16 is the *only* cartoon aircraft in the game which allows you to check "All of the above."

If a putz in a rusty P38G can kill em, they just can't be that big of a deal :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2010, 02:17:21 PM »
HTC modeled the Spitfire XIV which is the two stage Griffon production model.

Tropicalized Spits had the bigger filter under the nose.  All the two stage Merlin models in AH have that tropical intake.  The Spit IX didn't have it initially but it was added later on in particular when they moved to the continent as the dust was such a problem.  Spits that were designated to only be based in England were not required to have tropicalization so the Spit XII as an example never had it.

Any based outside of England had the larger intake filter added so Desert birds, MTO based, CBI, PTO based birds all had them.

This is a Spitfire VII based out of England.  Note the small intake under the nose.  Because Spit VIIs were all based in England, they never were tropicalized.  It's essentially a pressurized Spitfire VIII for high alt work.

This is a tropicalized Spitfire Vc in the MTO.  Note the big filter.  It was quite the performance hit and not real popular.

That's a Volkes filter (which thanks to Wikipedia has morphed into "Vokes (sic)" as that is the way it is pronounced.) and many MTO VC's were modified in Egypt by an operational maintenance unit at Aboukir to replace the Volkes with the still bulky, but much more streamlined and efficient "Aboukir" filter.
Retired