Author Topic: TOPGUN acm  (Read 8282 times)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: TOPGUN acm
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2010, 12:59:44 AM »
that reversal in the movie.

Not really. Did not see anything special.
It was a good movie, but I don't remember any really good maneuvers that I liked.  :headscratch:
Maybe you can refresh my memory.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:01:50 AM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2010, 01:09:15 AM »
Well there was the reversal where he went up cut throttle the guy passed by he got the shot.The other one was where iceman broke right went down came over top,was very briefly showed though.

I'm looking for fighter formation pictures like the finger four.Ones like that.
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2010, 01:21:36 AM »
Well there was the reversal where he went up cut throttle the guy passed by he got the shot.The other one was where iceman broke right went down came over top,was very briefly showed though.

I believe that maneuver is the cobra....it is possible but you do need speed for this to work..

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2010, 01:23:25 AM »
I believe that maneuver is the cobra....it is possible but you do need speed for this to work..

The way I understand it is you need thrust vectoring to do that. So I don't believe it's a cobra, I think he just opened the airbrakes to let him pass.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2010, 01:24:45 AM »

I remember that. That was not a reversal, that's why I asked.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2010, 01:56:58 AM »
Anyways what's a combat tactic you guys use often. Know any fighter formations please I'm desperate need stuff for swoops epic missions.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2010, 01:57:19 AM »
You guys know what this thread smells of?

"I'm gonna hit the brakes and he'll fly right by!"

:rofl :rofl
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2010, 02:29:42 AM »
Anyways what's a combat tactic you guys use often.

That depends on the situation.

Know any fighter formations please I'm desperate need stuff for swoops epic missions.

Back when I was the CO, in FSO I would keep my squad 200-800yards away from each other. That allows every pilot to maintain good SA, as there is no friendly aircraft near you blocking you field of view. Also when there is someone diving on you that you (or the squad) does not see, and you notice him at the last moment and break, he can't just go for someone else as the aircraft are not right next to each other.
I would not recommend you use any specific formation because that required accurate altitude control, heading, and power settings. If you do want to use close formations I suggest you practice in the training arena with the people who your going to be flying with.

Do not take offense by this but by what I see here I do not think your ready to lead such a specific (for the lack of a better term) mission. It's not my call but I would not be quite comfortable following you just yet.

Good Luck
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2010, 11:27:03 AM »
I disagree a bit with your final question, its not a perfect world in Aces High so your gunna have someone get there sooner or later no matter what you do. I think thats the difference between the "alright" sticks and the "good" sticks. The good sticks will get that random plane off their six most of the time where as the alright stick gets shot down once someone is on their six.

BTW I know me personally I give people my six just so they will attack my plane. I know I can get them into a fight from there :salute

You have made a true statment. The differance is im trying to get stealth to see the picture from the begining of the fight not just after he steps init. Plus +++++How did he get on my six? covers both questions.             
If he would take a film of his fights and review them....... The better question is How did he get on my six?   He is never going to figure it out looking at the film asking now what do i do?

Btw  flat turn beats the split S---- stealth.

<S> 
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2010, 05:54:18 PM »
You guys know what this thread smells of?

"I'm gonna hit the brakes and he'll fly right by!"

:rofl :rofl

YOU'RE GONNA DO WHAT? :D
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2010, 07:59:40 PM »
The maneuvers I do is because I know them real well.Besides you can't think,if you do your dead.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2010, 09:05:37 PM »
The maneuvers I do is because I know them real well.Besides you can't think,if you do your dead.
Disagree, I normally think about alot of things. Like when I am dive bombing a field, I go pass the field and then come in......so when I come out I can set up a rope for the friendly cons coming in :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2010, 09:50:22 PM »
Disagree, I normally think about alot of things. Like when I am dive bombing a field, I go pass the field and then come in......so when I come out I can set up a rope for the friendly cons coming in :salute
I stole that from topgun man isn't that what were all doing. Also I disagree with my post to,you can always think,besides a pilot is able to take all the events that happened to see what he has learned. That's also from topgun.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2010, 10:34:52 PM »
I stole that from topgun man isn't that what were all doing. Also I disagree with my post to,you can always think,besides a pilot is able to take all the events that happened to see what he has learned. That's also from topgun.

If you disagree with it why would you post it? Just think for your self and stop taking random phrases from a movie.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2010, 11:13:40 PM »
Please, please, please, please, please, please.......do NOT even think about using the movie Topgun as a training aide.  An aileron roll isn't a good guns defense, you can't get into a flat spin over land and "head out to sea", all four cats never go down at the same time on a CVN, there isn't a crumb of good ACM information in it, there's no Topgun Trophy, no written tests, no grades, appropriate uniform in the Miramar O'Club bar was flight suits, not tropical whites, there are no stocking-wearing civilian Topgun "instructor" bimbos, and, if there were, I would not need to be told that "she's a civilian so you don't salute her" and I'd beeotch slap her for opening her mouth during a TACTS debrief.  Other than that, it's a fine movie. :rofl
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF