Author Topic: Timid  (Read 7091 times)

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
Re: Timid
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2010, 01:48:11 PM »
I was flying the Brewster in that situation I would look at as a challenge.  If the 109K wants to he can sit up there all day long and there really wouldn't be much I could do, the challenge and the fun to me is if I could sucker him in close thinking he had a shot then snatch it away from him at the last moment and convert it to a reversal and snap shot opportunity of my own.   Sure I would fail at first but after some tries it would start to click and hopefully the next time I'm in that situation I'll have choices. 

The trick is balancing challenging yourself and maintaining a certain degree of success so that the learning process doesn't drive you batty.  After awhile you should start to find more situations that are comfortable and in the MA where oftentimes you're faced with an unfavorable situation being comfortable and confident in yourself that you at least have a fighting chance of coming out on top is a good feeling.

I hear you.

But, in the limited time I have available online, I would rather spend it in a fight as opposed to watching some guy repeatedly try to rope me. 

K-4, in this instance, is just an example.  There are a few aggressive K-4 guys out there who regularly clean my clock.   And, while I cuss all the way to the tower, at least I am not bored to death.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2010, 01:49:42 PM »
Fighting from the bottom is one of my favorite things to do.  Getting a kill with effective BnZ defense is a lot of fun when it goes right, plus you have a built in excuse that he attacked from advantage if it goes wrong.   :D

And Drex, that's some Yoda stuff right there.  It feels good with the HO and runners if you can give them your six to lure them back in and reverse it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2010, 01:57:16 PM »
Funny this came up as I have been struggling with this myself recently.

I tend to fly in a way that some may call timid and others "smart." I won't engage a con unless:

1) I have the advantage (alt)
or
2) It is at least CO-E
and
3) The numbers on each side are somewhat even (1v1, 2v3, 3v4, but not something stupid like 2v7).

Now some call that TIMID, others call it SMART. Makes no difference to me. The thing I have personally been struggling with is that I think this will "plateau" my learning curve. Hence, recently I have flown some sorties in attack mode and intentionally headed into a horde just to see how long I can live/evade the 3,4,5 enemy cons. I know it is suicide, and I will die. But at that point my goal is not to get kills, but to see what works for reversals/survival tactics.

My overall SA is pretty good, what I lack now is the ueber ACM skill that muppets and other's possess.....I am trying to pick up those skills and the above Timid and/or "Smart" "criteria" I laid out for myself are not helping in advancing that goal.

Sorry, the above is more of a statement than anything else :) Take it for what it is worth.

Check your PMs later.  :aok

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2010, 02:17:57 PM »
If you want to shoot down a timid pilot running from you, make yourself a better target.

Drex

I do, I play dead until they make their mistake of coming back, but once the trap is sprung its adios amigos, then they really get more timid'er for the next time....  :D

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2010, 02:30:09 PM »
I don't think flying a 262 in itself is timid at all.  There's different ways to look at the game you play and fight your opponents.  Using a wise player's analogy, when a group of organisms get together, like fish, bees, gnats, etc, they form a swarm.  The swarm acts like a separate organism in itself.  Sure, in a 262 you aren't fighting the one bee or the one fishy (usually), but you are fighting the horde/swarm.  A blob of skilless red icons embodies the same qualities of the analogy.  There's no sense in trying to pick out one guy in a horde and fight him, as he is no longer 'one', you are fighting a small piece of a bigger opponent, the horde.  To fight it requires smart flying and thinning it out in any means necessary. 

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2010, 02:35:09 PM »
I do, I play dead until they make their mistake of coming back, but once the trap is sprung its adios amigos, then they really get more timid'er for the next time....  :D
Pot meet kettle. The few engagments Ive had with you have been behind the cloak of a horde. Last engagment you were killing LVTs in a LA and once you saw me up a plane, you dove hauling arse to land your 2 kills only to reup to HO me after I killed a couple of yer buds. Please dont try to be something your not, people see right through that :old:
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2010, 02:39:53 PM »
Pot meet kettle. The few engagments Ive had with you have been behind the cloak of a horde. Last engagment you were killing LVTs in a LA and once you saw me up a plane, you dove hauling arse to land your 2 kills only to reup to HO me after I killed a couple of yer buds. Please dont try to be something your not, people see right through that :old:

:rofl  Seriously? are you even on this planet..... wow.

I cant even remember shooting you down anytime recently, if I was killing lvt's in a LA7, It would be safe to say I was busting up your NOE HORDE.....  :rofl

Yep pretty sure that would be the case, I only fly the LA in that type of situation, against NOE's.

So your calling Pot meet what?   :rofl
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 02:45:30 PM by Dadsguns »

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2010, 02:54:39 PM »
:rofl  Seriously? are you even on this planet..... wow.

I cant even remember shooting you down anytime recently, if I was killing lvt's in a LA7, It would be safe to say I was busting up your NOE HORDE.....  :rofl

Yep pretty sure that would be the case, I only fly the LA in that type of situation, against NOE's.

So your calling Pot meet what?   :rofl

Yep, as usual your right. Everyone that Ive engaged KNOWS how I love to go NOE and hit defensless feilds in hopes of winning the never ending war
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2010, 02:54:50 PM »
Timid = you don't want to die. :aok

Do you want to die?
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2010, 03:05:09 PM »
Timid means a wide range of things to a wide range of folks.  I was "timid" last night facing a monstrous Rook horde.  You get in to deep and it's over.  No Fun.  So I picked (pardon the pun) my fights.  I have found most folks use timid as a derogatory term when someone does not want to fight in their preferred/advantageous manner.  Fly what you want, when you want, how you want, where you want.  Just have fun. :rock
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2010, 03:05:22 PM »
Timid = you don't want to die. :aok

I play for the fight, not for proving I can survive, others may get enjoyment out of 'not dieing'. I would much rather have a tough intense knife fight against a good stick and die than cherry pick all day, but thats just me, to each's own I guess.

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2010, 03:07:13 PM »
Yep, as usual your right. Everyone that Ive engaged KNOWS how I love to go NOE and hit defensless feilds in hopes of winning the never ending war

I know, now you know.  
Its just not fun to die several times at any cost taking defenseless ords in the hopes of winning the never ending war, but hey some people pride themselves on it.  

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2010, 03:15:52 PM »
I play for the fight, not for proving I can survive,

But you try to win that fight, don't you? And the next one, and the next one. You compete in every fight to win.
If 4 guys jump you, you realize you are probably going to die but you compete anyway, with the grim determination to get as many if not all of them before the gang gets you.

In short, you are trying to win. You win by shooting down the bad guy(s) without getting killed yourself.  If this weren't the case, you would eschew ACM and simply HO everything in sight, willing to trade your "life" for  each guy you ran into.

Because you are trying to best your opponent by killing him and not dying, Kazaa defines you as timid. Obviously, he was either goofing or his definition is flawed.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2010, 03:22:50 PM »
  I have never found this to be Dads way...If he is in a horde he is out front and the others are there for the scraps.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 03:27:39 PM by SPKmes »

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2010, 03:27:03 PM »
My Idea of timid is.... when a con has alt and comes in at you but pulls back up at about D1000 if you are turning back to merge...constantly being 1000 off extending if you follow......with these You just have to risk it and bring them in really close and hope they aren't a good shot...