Author Topic: Timid  (Read 7075 times)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Re: Timid
« Reply #210 on: April 15, 2010, 06:28:17 PM »
What is really.. I mean really, amusing to me is that several people in here are trying to describe "timid" when they themselves are quite timid.

Here's a hint: If you're getting 5 or so..  or less kills per hour and you're not a 6 month noob, you're timid. I don't care what your excuse is... you're timid.
I totally disagree with this . I think the opposite is true. I'm not trying to start a fight with you here, but if you remember last week or so when you killed my IL2 twice, I was on the deck being timid mixing it up with CV planes and killing LVTs while you passed up the fighters to come to the deck to shoot me. Then you'd climb back up and do it again.

I'm not saying that's wrong, I'd do the same thing given the chance. But you could have very well of stayed high and fought the fighters rather then go for the easy IL2 picks. As a result, your K/D per hour went up and mine went down. I've always ran a somewhere between 4 and 6 kills per hour, unless I were hunting bombers and picking over a field.
True dat, you are better stick and shot then me but I don't think the stats are a good way to measure if someone is timid or not. Pacerr is a good example. :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #211 on: April 15, 2010, 06:29:40 PM »
Hey Einstein, this thread is about the definition of timid. I gave my definition of timid.  what more do you want?
and at the beginning of this i asked for no angry discussions...apparently people can't do that anymore... not meaning you here...
If a wood chuck were chuck norris?
would chuck norris be able to the chuck the wood that a woodchuck could chuck?
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #212 on: April 15, 2010, 06:30:34 PM »
     Timid is letting someone's opinion dictate when you enter or leave a fight.

You mind if I use that Rino?   :D

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #213 on: April 15, 2010, 06:31:54 PM »
I totally disagree with this . I think the opposite is true. I'm not trying to start a fight with you here, but if you remember last week or so when you killed my IL2 twice, I was on the deck being timid mixing it up with CV planes and killing LVTs while you passed up the fighters to come to the deck to shoot me. Then you'd climb back up and do it again.

I'm not saying that's wrong, I'd do the same thing given the chance. But you could have very well of stayed high and fought the fighters rather then go for the easy IL2 picks. As a result, your K/D per hour went up and mine went down. I've always ran a somewhere between 4 and 6 kills per hour, unless I were hunting bombers and picking over a field.
True dat, you are better stick and shot then me but I don't think the stats are a good way to measure if someone is timid or not. Pacerr is a good example. :salute

Your fighter K/D and K/H is not affected by flying IL2's.

I passed up fighters because I was specifically asked to help defend the LVt's trying to get ashore. I even said that to you and aplogized, if you remember. I normally leave IL2's alone as they aren't  threats to me typically.

Again though, I'm not trying to tell you what to think is timid... I merely gave my view of it.     :salute
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #214 on: April 15, 2010, 06:34:18 PM »
Lol, I'll go after il2s any chance I get.  Easy kills and they're fun to pump full of lead.   :joystick:

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #215 on: April 15, 2010, 06:36:11 PM »
Since you asked... yep    I think you are timid.  Chaisng lone cons... you spend the whole tour doing that? Timid players are full of excuses.

Just for my entertainment, How did you come to that conclusion? 

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #216 on: April 15, 2010, 06:38:30 PM »
how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Using the formula: (W + I) * C where W = the constant of wood, which is well known to be 61, as agreed in many scientific circles. I = the variable in this equation, and stands for the word "if" from the original problem. As there are three circumstances, with 0 equaling the chance that the woodchuck cannot chuck wood, 1 being the theory that the woodchuck can chuck wood but chooses not to, and 2 standing for the probability that the woodchuck can and will chuck wood, we clearly must choose 2 for use in this equation. C = the constant of Chuck Norris, whose presence in any problem involving the word chuck must there, is well known to equal 1.1 of any known being, therefore the final part of this calculation is 1.1. As is clear, this appears to give the answer of (61 + 2) * 1.1 = (63) * 1.1 = 69.3. However, Chuck Norris' awesome roundhouse kick declares that all decimal points cannot be used in formulas such as this, and so it must be rounded to the final solution of 69 units of wood.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #217 on: April 15, 2010, 06:40:34 PM »
I was try ing to make the point that my K/D per hr and always been in the timid range, but that don't really make me timid, because if I were I'd of never took off from the field and been on the deck trying to fight. I was glad you were there actually Steve. The next sortie I upped a 51 hoping you'd come back for some more. But I flew around with no one to fight. K/D per hour went down even more just doing that. :lol
Lighten up Francis

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #218 on: April 15, 2010, 06:45:40 PM »
Sounds like the gamers vs simers argument all over.  And, I am a simer, so that means I suck, I'm timid, I can't fly, I can't fight.  Why is this a gamers argument to justify their gamer opinions?  Because men were awarded for kills, not even kills per death, nowhere not once was anyone awarded anything for kills per hour during WW2, the era that this reality based simulation game was modeled from.  My kills per hour is horrible, from a gamers point of view.  However I find my fun in the hunt, the stalk, the kill and the landing of my intact aircraft.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #219 on: April 15, 2010, 06:49:22 PM »
Sounds like the gamers vs simers argument all over.  And, I am a simer, so that means I suck, I'm timid, I can't fly, I can't fight.  Why is this a gamers argument to justify their gamer opinions?  Because men were awarded for kills, not even kills per death, nowhere not once was anyone awarded anything for kills per hour during WW2, the era that this reality based simulation game was modeled from.  My kills per hour is horrible, from a gamers point of view.  However I find my fun in the hunt, the stalk, the kill and the landing of my intact aircraft.

In RL they also didn't have unlimited lives. you want to sim that?

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #220 on: April 15, 2010, 06:56:23 PM »
I've actually had some good fights with Dadsguns.  When you get him alone he will usually fight it out.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #221 on: April 15, 2010, 06:57:57 PM »
In RL they also didn't have unlimited lives. you want to sim that?

I do that sir.  I play as if I do not have unlimited lives.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #222 on: April 15, 2010, 07:06:51 PM »
You mind if I use that Rino?   :D

Be my guest  :aok
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #223 on: April 15, 2010, 07:09:35 PM »
At least you have the man bags to admit it if you are.  

Cant say that I have ever had the pleasure to chase you down yet, but looking forward to it.  :salute

I can ashure you, I don't run very far if I run at all, I will extend though....most times less than 1.5K distance is more than enough

unless it is more than 1 opponent then I will possibly extend a bit further but at the same time I will not be flying straight , but more so as a long sweeping turn to get all the opposition in to the same flight hemisphere......

which brings me back to thinking about a group of flyers and what Krusty posted below

Then there are the folks that enjoy 30-minute squad sweeps with 5+ friendlies. Every once in a while I get one of these where I land some kills, but many times my squaddies steal 'em all! It hoses your kill/hour ratio, but you probably have a lot better teamwork and wingman skills, and given a single squaddie can tie up and/or kill half a dozen MA baddies.

Then there's the folks that have a high kill/hour but don't do anything but gang 5v1 with their posse, looking for rank and/or "prestige" (in quotes because only they think it is). You might see that as skill when in fact it's very beginner behavior and they can't win an even-odds fight if they tried. So that could indicate LACK of skill in this example.

I was in the MWA the other night ( forget the map, but was where A5 & A63 etc are in the lower left of it ) and was flying out of A5 toward the 2 southern fields......... I ran across a F4U and a P38........ I got the best end of that encounter, and went to go regain some alt when here came 2 more P38s  I figured I would extend and try and get to a 1 on 1 if possible, the other 38 went opposite of us and I reved.... right about the time I was lining up to smack down the 1st 38, I hear the rata tat tat and boom I was dead.......

I quickly re-upped, yes I was kind of fuming because heck, the numbers were way low prob 5 to 7 on each side in the MWA that night.....

so here I go taking off from A63, with 2 others there with me, and here come 4 P38s all at around 10K alt...... they was not vulching , they was not diving in picking any of us off with no alt.no speed... they just kept slightly NE of A63 and at or around 10K to 12K alt....  one would come out by himself and give up some alt. just enough to entice 1 of us to go after him..... and once the bait was taken, here come 1 or 2 of the other P38s and sure enough BOOM any of the 3 of us that tried to get into a dogfight was right back in the tower......

now I heard the words "Pickers", "Gangers", etc mentioned........ and I kindly said "Ya know, they are flying smart, we are being the dumb ones for letting them take advantage of the situation, those 4 P38s were flying perfect Wingman Tactics, and I admired them for it..... they did not waiver one bit

I have flown and cartooned dogfighted some of the players in this squad before, but never had I experienced them flying in this fashion.....

it was "the Loose Duece" squad   ......... no harsh words or derogatory remarks were made over the open channel, and I have to respect that.......

I did finish up by getting up near co alt, and had a good run.... the last fight was me in I think a F4U-1 and they were in a P40E, P38 & P47D11.....

I got the P47 and was in a rolling scissors with the P38 and P40 at the same time when I gave up evading the P40 to try and take out the P38, I failed to get the hits quick enough before the P40 took me out......

so, sometimes flying wing with squaddies and smacking down anything that trys to come get you is fun....... heck, I remember Me, Ren, and think it was DFA did that one night and racked up like 30+ kills in one sortie between the 3 of us.....

then again, sometimes it is just as much fun trying to fly up and take out 3 or 4 players flying wing, that are continously tap dancing on your heads for being dumb enough to climb up and try and knock em off their roost......

as long as you have fun......... that is all that matters  
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #224 on: April 15, 2010, 07:10:31 PM »
This thread sounds exactly like blogs where catholics, jews, muslims and atheists argue which approch to life is better. It's still a thinly veiled indirect assertion that because I follow x,y,z or B approch to whatever I do in life I'm better than you are. That ends up offending people and everyone starts arguing that they are saints because of the virtue bestowed on them by following their given approch to living. Then everyone in the argument gets even more pissed and pious while trotting out the last thousand years of each participants personal sins and failings to defend their personal beleif in their hard won ecumenical mastery.

HiTech said the point of this game was about pissing off the other guy......Some players just use a different vehical to gain the same emotional victory. I suppose Yugo's are called Timid's now.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.