Author Topic: Timid  (Read 7069 times)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Re: Timid
« Reply #180 on: April 15, 2010, 06:04:21 PM »
Bomber pilots who fly to 30k+ to bomb the megacities... I bet they have 0 kills...
I'm not sure if thats timid or just a case of 'noobisim' (aka, I just started and I can't fly a fighter but I want to do something).

Kills per hour is not a stat for bombing.  :)
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 15, 2010, 06:04:36 PM »
see my above post  :)

So if someone has a K/H of 4... he is without doubt timid?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #182 on: April 15, 2010, 06:05:09 PM »

Did oyu read what I posted or not?  I said  "strong indicator"
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 15, 2010, 06:06:40 PM »
Did oyu read what I posted or not?  I said  "strong indicator"

That's what you said:

Here's a hint: If you're getting 5 or so..  or less kills per hour and you're not a 6 month noob, you're timid. I don't care what your excuse is... you're timid.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #184 on: April 15, 2010, 06:06:58 PM »
Bomber pilots who fly to 30k+ to bomb the megacities... I bet they have 0 kills...
I'm not sure if thats timid or just a case of 'noobisim' (aka, I just started and I can't fly a fighter but I want to do something).

anything flying at 30k is considered timid IMO.   unless you are very very fuel conscience........
-AoM-

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2010, 06:07:21 PM »
High kills per hour doesn't gaurantee competence. Low kills per hour is a strong indicator of timidity.  Timid guys won't like this... but that's the way it goes.   :aok
uhh... but here's the thing... you fly one flight and land 10 kills but every kill took 15-30 minutes to kill? what does this mean to you? because this can mean he either fled when it got dangerous and scared like you described, smart enough to tactically retreat to a safe distance to allow for an offensive factor to come back into his/her hand then reattack, or he/she couldn't find any planes to kill...
Did oyu read what I posted or not?  I said  "strong indicator"
strong indicator or not what i said is the truth. add things if seen fit please
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2010, 06:07:29 PM »
Kills per hour is not a stat for bombing.  :)

lol, your right.. oh well....I tried.. :cheers:

anything flying at 30k is considered timid IMO.   unless you are very very fuel conscience........

:rofl
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 06:10:40 PM by Ardy123 »
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2010, 06:09:34 PM »
good god i can't keep up with this damn thread... every time i turn to another topic i see 17 responses to this one...
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2010, 06:13:32 PM »
I make me special. I'm just as entitled as anyone else to state my opinion.  Kills per hour is a quantifiable measuring stick whereas merely calling someone timid, isn't.

Ohhh I see.. you're timid so you took offense.   :aok

Matter of fact, a number of times I've run across you in the MA, I've thought YOU flew timid. Not every time, but enough that I found you no fun to fight.

Oh, I'm sorry... who's taking offense now?

You may have an opinion, but that does not make you special. Dictating what skill is and what timidity is, you might as well take a flying leap for how "special" you are. Don't get me wrong, I have another issue entirely with the whole premise of this thread (which, FYI, you all bit the hook of a repeated mass-nonsense-poster who's trying to boost his post count), but your comment is nothing more than self-inflation. I chose to respond to it rather than the overal thread as a whole.

You might just as well say it takes a lot of skill to fly around longer and still get kills. You have to manage your fuel better, you have to fight heavier (with more gas onboard) and still make it out.

Or you might say it takes more skill to have a LOWER kill/death ratio, implying you wade into a furball and knock heads as hard as you can until you die, then reup and go back in swinging. Kills the k/d ratio, but you're probably going to see more effective "practical" skill in a player like that.

Then there are the folks that enjoy 30-minute squad sweeps with 5+ friendlies. Every once in a while I get one of these where I land some kills, but many times my squaddies steal 'em all! It hoses your kill/hour ratio, but you probably have a lot better teamwork and wingman skills, and given a single squaddie can tie up and/or kill half a dozen MA baddies.

Then there's the folks that have a high kill/hour but don't do anything but gang 5v1 with their posse, looking for rank and/or "prestige" (in quotes because only they think it is). You might see that as skill when in fact it's very beginner behavior and they can't win an even-odds fight if they tried. So that could indicate LACK of skill in this example.

Any of these could be argued for in different ways, but to explicitly lay it out like you have is just as wrong as everybody else. It serves only to make yourself feel better about how you fly, nothing else, and indicates no quantifiable level of skill without adding dozens of modifers "If this condition THEN that condition, MAYBE this means that".

I have no illusion as to how skilled I am. I'm rather humble about it. I realize there are many different styles, and any single player can use all of none of them in any single sortie. I also realize I can still be skilled and not have a great kill/hour, or kill/death, or kill/sortie.

I choose, for my own personal benchmark, and not as an indicator of skill but more as one of progress, to look at my kill/death ratio. I know this is flawed, but it's easier than comparing raw points.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2010, 06:14:54 PM »
good god i can't keep up with this damn thread... every time i turn to another topic i see 17 responses to this one...

Then stop spamming pointless 1-second replies for a higher post-count. Read the thread and enjoy it, and realize the fact that post count means nothing.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2010, 06:15:19 PM »

Steve, I don't agree with what your saying either and your certainly entitled to your opinion, however your definition of timid is a little off..
Using my example I have 5. something now and last tour a 4. something, does that makes me timid no matter what I did to get it?  Chasing lone cons? Staying out of furballs? All of that is what you would call being timid?

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2010, 06:15:53 PM »
Here's a hint: If you're getting 5 or so..  or less kills per hour and you're not a 6 month noob, you're timid. I don't care what your excuse is... you're timid.

I am not ashamed to say it " I'm Timid "

there
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2010, 06:16:29 PM »
talkin about boosting post counts.......never saw anyone else with 19,000 posts
-AoM-

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2010, 06:17:48 PM »
I am not ashamed to say it " I'm Timid "

there

you said it wrong timid junky... your supposed to say..

Hi my name is TequilaChaser and I'm timid.  :D

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #194 on: April 15, 2010, 06:18:54 PM »
talkin about boosting post counts.......never saw anyone else with 19,000 posts

My posts are all legit. I have been around for a lot longer than he has.

Further, I don't look at it.

There are others with higher posting #s than I, but they usually spam in the O'club. Won't find me there.