Author Topic: America at the World Cup?  (Read 4770 times)

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
Re: America at the World Cup?
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2010, 12:34:05 PM »
WTG USA - thoroughly deserved.

Unfortunately, the reward for winning the group migh be Germany in the next round - which would suck. And of course, if that happens Capello will claim Englands earlier results were actually down to his tactical genius as he steered his team away from a match up with the Germans. Or maybe not   :D

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2010, 12:40:08 PM »
Holy crap USA.  Glad Engerland went through in the end too.  Shaky there for a while though :)

This is the 4th time the US has reached the knockout stage, but the first was in 1930, where they reached the semis against a small field.  Then in 1994 when the US was host, they went through after a 1-1 draw with Switzerland, and a 2-1 victory over Colombia.  That was the match where the Colombian defender Andres Escobar had an own goal and was later murdered back home in Colombia, some say as a consequence.  Although ESPN has a documentary on this month "The Two Escobars" that link the killing to the Medellin cocaine cartel and Pablo Escobar.

Went through in 2002 in a group with host South Korea, Portugal, and Poland, beating Portugal 3-2 and tying South Korea 1-1.  Then beat hated rival Mexico to reach the quarterfinals where they lost 1-0 to Germany.  In the last minutes the US had a shot blocked by the arm of a defender on the line that was inexplicably not called by the Scottish referee.

Group of death more or less in 2006 with Italy, Czech Republic, and Ghana.    A 1-1 draw against the Italians was the high point.  What I remember from the tournament was Bruce Arena playing McBride as a lone striker all three games and then they'd just boot it down the field to him hoping for a miracle.  Dreadful stuff.

And 2010 now too.  Ian Darke said during the match that if they gave a World Cup for heart and determination the the US deserved it.  That may be true but I just hope they can do a little better finishing from here on.  And no more disallowed goals would be nice too.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2010, 12:58:11 PM »
It's amazing that when our defense stinks, we score goals.  When we have a clean sheet, it's hard to score.

* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2010, 01:05:06 PM »
It's amazing that when our defense stinks, we score goals.  When we have a clean sheet, it's hard to score.

When you push defenders forward to help the attack then you get caught on the break and get scored on.  And it's also easier to make a mistake when you're running at full speed back to defend than if you never left your own half.  You also have trouble setting an even back line to create the offside trap if you're pushing defenders up.  And today Algeria though they were listed as only 3 in the back were tough to break down, although the US created enough chances to win in the end. 

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2010, 01:36:27 PM »

I will add it was only by goal difference that you finished top

Goal difference was equal, it was decided on goals for.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2010, 01:47:26 PM »
...that was inexplicably not called by the Scottish referee.

If its any consolation, the ref in question - Hugh Dallas - is generally hated in Scotland as well.

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2010, 01:59:32 PM »
If its any consolation, the ref in question - Hugh Dallas - is generally hated in Scotland as well.

It is!

Offline Grisbeau

• Zinc Member
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2010, 02:01:10 PM »
But... as we carry on forward into the depths of the group stages, a mighty sage with the Fellowship of the Ring behind, and the mighty Gandalf at the fore, we will slightly impinge upon all other teams in our paths, watch and believe....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B2LPxggvqY&feature=player_embedded
IRON MAN - Fictional superhero.
Iron Woman - Simple command.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2010, 03:30:20 PM »
well thats that.

England vs Germany     :x
USA vs  Ghana
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2010, 03:34:52 PM »
If England get past Germany (grudge match), most likely they'll be up against Argentina (even bigger grudge match).

The penalty for being cr@p two games in a row is a really tough knock-out section.

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2010, 03:38:57 PM »
Oh England v. Argentina would be a good one to watch.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2010, 03:39:42 PM »
If England get past Germany (grudge match), most likely they'll be up against Argentina (even bigger grudge match).

The penalty for being cr@p two games in a row is a really tough knock-out section.

fark lets get them all out of the closet bring on the Germans and the Argies at once!!   :D

Maradona  deserves some Karma!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:53:30 PM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2010, 03:50:26 PM »
I can't express how glad I am I woke up today and turned on the WC to watch the game while getting ready for work.  It was almost enough to make me want to call in sick and join the loud and roudy crowd you could hear at the pub behind me... alas, I opted to work today and buy 6 beers tonight rather than call in sick and afford to buy only one in the morning.

saw the half time highlights and he wasn't offside was level with the defender.

Well deserved qualification!  is it the first time USA has ever got through to the knock out stages?

First time in 80 years....

USA  USA  USA!!!

Best WC game I've seen in a long time.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:52:51 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2010, 04:08:37 PM »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2010, 04:20:40 PM »
Made me chuckle too JD, tho I will admit it took me a minute to figure out exactly what was wrong  :D

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.