Author Topic: Questions about the AVA  (Read 9767 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: Questions about the AVA
« Reply #135 on: September 21, 2010, 10:24:12 AM »
be advised......i only picked twizzty for 2 reasons. 1) because i got in trouble with my cartoon crewchief, for letting him break my squeaky old p-40, and 2) because right now, that's the only way i can beat him.  :devil

oh yea....and 3) because i could.  :rofl

Well let me say that Twizzty is a buddy of mine.  Since we have that out of the way, you better kill the dude anyway you can.  He is hell to fight no matter what he is in when you run into him.  Me and twizzty have killed eachother in some many different ways over the last few years, it almost always results in some sort of joke around PMing back and forth.  Ain't that the way it should be all the time?
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #136 on: September 21, 2010, 10:28:08 AM »
All good reasons that promoted good fights and a lot of learning on your part.

the learning came later against the likes of twizzty in his 110 again, longbow in his 109, puma and grumpy in their 109's..........and to be honest, yes, i DID learn a LOT fighting against those guys. they're all great sticks.
 when i logged out, i intended to go to bed, but instead, watched the film against longbow....and i'm gonna watch it again tonight. that was the most fun fight i've had in ages.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #137 on: September 21, 2010, 10:29:18 AM »
I agree, but if I log in because I see 4 or 5 guys in the arena and I see them practicing ack killing, I may get the wrong impression and log off.

from what i know of you, i think you're not being serious here.

when i logged in, i was the only one doing ack killing. once more came in, i joined into the fight, and we all had a great night of dogfighting.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #138 on: September 21, 2010, 10:32:48 AM »
Well let me say that Twizzty is a buddy of mine.  Since we have that out of the way, you better kill the dude anyway you can.  He is hell to fight no matter what he is in when you run into him.  Me and twizzty have killed eachother in some many different ways over the last few years, it almost always results in some sort of joke around PMing back and forth.  Ain't that the way it should be all the time?

yea i know.

i merged with him for my last fight of the night. him 110, me p40. i thought....."heh...110...easy kill"..  :rofl :rofl pretty friggin stupid of me. we ended up on the deck in a knife fight, and the only reason he didn't kill me, is because he stalled into the dirt before i did. it was pure luck. had the fight gone on for another few seconds, he'd have schooled me again.

like i keep trying to say......all fun fights, and much much more respectful than i expected, and than in the main arenas.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #139 on: September 21, 2010, 10:35:07 AM »
All good reasons that promoted good fights and a lot of learning on your part.

instead of your incessant whining about how bad it is in there, why dont you go in and teach guys like cap1 how to fight using "ACM" instead of picking! Or atleast try to help them get better at ACM.you're always good to throw a comment, how about putting your money where you mouth is!? you always sound like a girl with a broken fingernail. sheesh!

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #140 on: September 21, 2010, 10:45:14 AM »
from what i know of you, i think you're not being serious here.

when i logged in, i was the only one doing ack killing. once more came in, i joined into the fight, and we all had a great night of dogfighting.

check pm
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2010, 10:49:39 AM »
Dedalos, someone might listen to what you have to say if there was any content higher than too dumb for words included...it's not happening now. You're an arcade xbox wannabe ace fighter pile-it, enjoy yourself, nobody is telling you not to. Those that want to do something different to get away from the arcade fly the super uber duper red icon horde vacuum are doing so in the AvA.

So what if there aren't 3 or 4 hundred other clowns in there? More than 1 person who piped in on this discussion have whined elsewhere about things like arena caps, hordes, gang bangs, ENY, and what they think isn't realistic about getting 1 shot to the tower from some dweeb several thousand feet away in whatever it was. The AvA offers exactly what it should, historical setups with limited plane sets, and as much realistic aerial combat simulation as the programming code and computer technology allows without costing each person $100,000 for a home simulation system.

There has always been a low number of people interested in the AvA, and doing things the way a few in this discussion mentioned didn't increase the numbers of regulars. But the no enemy icons and a new map created specifically for the AvA has brought about more interest. Before the change to no enemy icons there was much less interest, more suitable maps will help improve the setups and therefore increase the numbers. It's not supposed to be like the main arenas.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2010, 10:50:47 AM »
instead of your incessant whining about how bad it is in there, why dont you go in and teach guys like cap1 how to fight using "ACM" instead of picking! Or atleast try to help them get better at ACM.you're always good to throw a comment, how about putting your money where you mouth is!? you always sound like a girl with a broken fingernail. sheesh!

Bahahaha, I do.  I like the place but I don;t like some of the settings (icons) and the MA mentality.  Think of it this way.  With icons on, I can keep teaching them repeatedly since if I do see them coming they will die (learning of course  :rofl).  I think it takes away from their learning experience when they can come back looking to pick you after you kill them.  Give them a chance to learn  :lol  See?  All the things I do for you guys and I never get a thank you  :cry

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: September 21, 2010, 10:54:12 AM »
Dedalos, someone might listen to what you have to say if there was any content higher than too dumb for words included...it's not happening now. You're an arcade xbox wannabe ace fighter pile-it, enjoy yourself, nobody is telling you not to. Those that want to do something different to get away from the arcade fly the super uber duper red icon horde vacuum are doing so in the AvA.

And you can get away from the arcade by killing ack and picking people that never had a chance to see you coming, due to some misconception that a dead rising to seek revenge should not be seen?

:aok

So, why is the place empty again?  We had a week with steady 20 guys and then last week nothing.  Maybe I m missing the crowds since I log in around 9pm central?  :lol

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #144 on: September 21, 2010, 11:20:32 AM »

1 More Axis v Allies Challenge Senario's

2 more aircraft vairients ( as the last time i was in it was a North African Map and o spits as i believe theSpit mk3 or 4 was in North Africa. )

3 I dont realy dislike it apart from the lack of players  :)
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #145 on: September 21, 2010, 11:21:55 AM »
Bahahaha, I do.  I like the place but I don;t like some of the settings (icons) and the MA mentality.  Think of it this way.  With icons on, I can keep teaching them repeatedly since if I do see them coming they will die (learning of course  :rofl).  I think it takes away from their learning experience when they can come back looking to pick you after you kill them.  Give them a chance to learn  :lol  See?  All the things I do for you guys and I never get a thank you  :cry

ok......here's one of the biggest things i'm finally learning.

i'm not watching the distance tick off to decide when to take a shot. i'm learning to judge that by the profile i see. i'm learning to better keep my eye on the bad guy. in the ma's i tend to let them out of my sight for a split second sometimes, 'cause i have that big red banner that makes it crazy easy to re-acquire them.
 i'm learning(in the fights last night) better rudder control, and better observation of what the bad guy is about to do, and doing better at predicting. i'm learning better low speed control of my aircraft, and better energy management.

so yes, there is quite a bit of learning going on. and there were 1-1's, 3-3's, and just great fights.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #146 on: September 21, 2010, 11:30:38 AM »
i'm learning to better keep my eye on the bad guy. in the ma's i tend to let them out of my sight for a split second sometimes, 'cause i have that big red banner that makes it crazy easy to re-acquire them.

and doing better at predicting.

These two are linked.  I'm getting better at predicting, too, simply because if I don't I will lose sight.

- oldman

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #147 on: September 21, 2010, 11:35:15 AM »
And you can get away from the arcade by killing ack and picking people that never had a chance to see you coming, due to some misconception that a dead rising to seek revenge should not be seen?
You must be talking about someone else, I don't kill ack unless someone has decided to try and take a base and if you need assistance with your situational awareness, don't blame someone for successfully sneaking up on you. I'm not as 1337 as you are but I don't have a problem seeing someone trying to pounce on me, even when I'm trying to shoot someone else down.

So, why is the place empty again?  We had a week with steady 20 guys and then last week nothing.  Maybe I m missing the crowds since I log in around 9pm central?  :lol
Setups have a lot to do with people deciding to fly in the AvA. If you have a valid recommendation on a historical setup you would like to see done in the AvA, feel free to post it in the AvA forum.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #148 on: September 21, 2010, 11:36:39 AM »

These two are linked.  I'm getting better at predicting, too, simply because if I don't I will lose sight.

- oldman

agreed.  same here. it's amazing how easily you can lose a con below you in the background. i kind of wonder if it was like that in r/l too.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2010, 11:39:10 AM »
ok......here's one of the biggest things i'm finally learning.

i'm not watching the distance tick off to decide when to take a shot. i'm learning to judge that by the profile i see. i'm learning to better keep my eye on the bad guy. in the ma's i tend to let them out of my sight for a split second sometimes, 'cause i have that big red banner that makes it crazy easy to re-acquire them.
 i'm learning(in the fights last night) better rudder control, and better observation of what the bad guy is about to do, and doing better at predicting. i'm learning better low speed control of my aircraft, and better energy management.

so yes, there is quite a bit of learning going on. and there were 1-1's, 3-3's, and just great fights.

Who said I lose site of the guy I am fighting or that I need the icon to tell me when to shoot?  You have seen the shots I take.  There is no time to read any icons.  The problem starts when he starts crying for help and two or more of his bodies come hiding in the terrain.  With icons on, I can see the red and prepare for the gang bang and they can learn in the process of kill shooting them selves or crashing or extending lol.  Thats all I am looking for, a chance to see that they are coming.

That also allows me to fly a p40 or other under powered planes.  We want that right?  More variety?  We can pump this place all we want.  The reality is that if you get in to a p40 and engage a 109F, you have your hands full.  Being able to see his 3 buddies in the 190s coming in spraying from every angle makes the game more playable.  We can post all we want about how great the fights are, but the reality is what I just described.  The only time the fights are good is when you find 1 or 2 guys that you have seen and you end up fighting it out with no interference.  That is what made it a great fight.  I don;t think anyone is coming in here bragging about a great fight after he got gang picked.  

Again, being able to see the enemy can lead to a fight.  Being able to hide only leads to a good pick.  I do understand why some may like it.  It either that or vulching for many players, but I learned through engaging and dieing.  I never learned anything from picking any one already having his hands full.

You fought some of the guys posting in defense of the no icons settings.  How long do you think someone like gyrene81 would last in a fight?  I am sure he does really well if you don;t know he is there :rofl