Author Topic: same old story  (Read 1080 times)

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
Re: same old story
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 04:30:06 PM »
I'm guessing 500 more threads with the same whine will surely make a difference :)

What was it HiTech said (or what he quoted)?  The definition of Insane is repeating the same action and expecting different results? :)
I forget the exact wording.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 04:35:46 PM »
Why don't all of you get together and make another WWII flight sim game. With yalls outstanding insight into the correct way to run a business, I'm sure it would outstrip AH in no time at all.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 04:36:51 PM »
 :rolleyes:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 04:39:09 PM »
I've never liked the caps.                                                                       

Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 04:39:27 PM »
That is what I thought..... no chance in h e dbl hockeysticks.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline sirvlad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 04:49:48 PM »
Thanks for the great input shuffler!! I`ll put that on my to-do list.

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 05:28:22 PM »
Horde= more kills  :aok      :D                 :bolt:
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 05:45:34 PM »
I'm guessing 500 more threads with the same whine will surely make a difference :)

Isn't that how we got the caps in the 1st place??
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 05:56:25 PM »
Isn't that how we got the caps in the 1st place??

I don't believe it is actually.

edited to clarify.

I work with teenagers.  I have for the last 25 years.  I wish I had a nickel for every kid who was there a day and knew exactly what was wrong with the program and what we needed to do differently to make it better for them.  I'd probably own my own P38 by  now.  In the end you do what's best long term for those kids, even if they don't like the short term impact.

Hitech's been doing this a long time.  His responsibility is to his business, the people he works with and the long term survival of that business.  Folks seem to think that the staff over there is removed from the game somehow and doesn't know what goes on.  How dumb is that?  You have to believe that they are in the arena's often, paying attention to the gameplay and the actions of the players.  I'd imagine that they have folks within the game whose opinions they trust to get input from.  In the end, the buck still stops with Hitech.  To think that he jumps at every whine thread, whether it be from a 'furballer' or a "win the war" guy is ridiculous if not a backhanded insult to the guys who built the game.

Give them a little more credit for knowing what is best for their business. 

« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 06:08:50 PM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 06:03:48 PM »
I don't believe it is actually.

So HT out of the clear blue, with absolutely no whining, one day had an epiphany?  It smells "unhealthy" in here, lets try messin with the caps!

Even if HT himself said that whining had nothing to do with the changes we see in this game, i wouldn't believe it. Not for a second.
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2010, 06:09:25 PM »
So HT out of the clear blue, with absolutely no whining, one day had an epiphany?  It smells "unhealthy" in here, lets try messin with the caps!

Even if HT himself said that whining had nothing to do with the changes we see in this game, i wouldn't believe it. Not for a second.

Read my edit to the above post.  I was trying to beat ya to a reply :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2010, 06:14:05 PM »
I usually try to tell people to avoid CAPS as it's generally a distraction and if they state they're on a bombing run I will advise they also bomb their CAPS LOCK key.

Whoops... wrong CAPS, backing away from a #2 violation,  carry on.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2010, 06:14:34 PM »
No.
As far as I know, HTC has not announced anything like that.

I wonder what kind of sample size HTC is working with when they say "We saw numbers jump after we implemented caps!"

Maybe it was just a coincidence, completely independent of the fact they implemented the caps.  Based on your arena kills charts, it looked like they had numbers jump up for about 5-6 months after they implemented, except that the trend was already increasing at the time.  It's the equivalent of gambling with your lucky shoes on, cuz you won a lot of money wearing them once, and you don't want to jinx it.

Offline vafiii

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2010, 06:18:02 PM »
Too many times I can't get into an arena and fly with my squad mate because of the caps. Very frustrating. Do away with EW and MW arenas as no one's in there. Combine both LW arenas just like on Titanic Tuesday or the CON arena and let the fun begin.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2010, 06:19:06 PM »
I wonder what kind of sample size HTC is working with when they say "We saw numbers jump after we implemented caps!"

Maybe it was just a coincidence, completely independent of the fact they implemented the caps.  Based on your arena kills charts, it looked like they had numbers jump up for about 5-6 months after they implemented, except that the trend was already increasing at the time.  It's the equivalent of gambling with your lucky shoes on, cuz you won a lot of money wearing them once, and you don't want to jinx it.

Kill numbers are just that. You could have 800,000 kills, with 90% of them being 2-weekers on free trial, and you could have 400,000 kills with of them 90% regular subscribers.

HTC, as a business, is probably basing it's decisions more on actual subscriptions and some kind of "player retainment rate" (have no better English phrase at hand)

But I feel uncomfortable when conjecturing about that business part, because... it's just conjecture. No data, no clue on my side about that ;)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 06:21:41 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman