Author Topic: P40  (Read 3484 times)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
Re: P40
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 12:41:34 PM »
No, just the first notch was labeled "maneuvering," if I'm remembering correctly.

I'm also having a hard time remembering if the P-51 had plain flaps, or slotted flaps.  I want to say that they are slotted, as I know the F4U's are, but then I seem to remember a discussion about why the F4U's flaps are so effective, and being slotted was the reason... That makes me believe the P-51's are not... :rolleyes:

I'll use a second notch as well.  Using flap angles beyond max aileron deflection begins to add more drag than lift.

(P.S. I AM Sector!  There were cons on me and myself?!  How dare they attack my schizophrenia... :noid)
:rofl edited the name :aok
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 12:49:12 PM »
I flew the P40s yesterday and I found that the engine and oil were always breaking after 1 hit... Never was lucky enough to lose just a flap  :rofl

Assuming your name is Dolby in the game it looks like you have 1 kill and 1 death in a P40. 

I think HT should take into account your 10 minutes experience and ignore the rest of us  :aok
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 02:05:29 PM »
You're blinding him with science. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 02:48:56 PM »
Assuming your name is Dolby in the game it looks like you have 1 kill and 1 death in a P40. 

I think HT should take into account your 10 minutes experience and ignore the rest of us  :aok

If his in-game handle is Dolby, he's been around for awhile.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2010, 04:23:36 PM »
If his in-game handle is Dolby, he's been around for awhile.

ack-ack

Not in a P40. Based on what he said about flying it the other day.

Pointless anyway.  The post was moved to a forum where it cannot be seen anymore, and since it is not the bug forum, we know it is like that by design.  No problem, I did not spend any time creating the p40.  Let it sit in the hangar  :aok
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2010, 04:41:46 PM »
I flew the P40s yesterday and I found that the engine and oil were always breaking after 1 hit... Never was lucky enough to lose just a flap  :rofl

i've flown the p-40e with decent success. i never lost a flap that i know of. i was generally doing 1 of 3 things.

1)killing in it
2)extending(bravely running away)
3)losing parts so fast, that i was in the tower in a matter of seconds.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2010, 04:43:26 PM »
No, just the first notch was labeled "maneuvering," if I'm remembering correctly.

I'm also having a hard time remembering if the P-51 had plain flaps, or slotted flaps.  I want to say that they are slotted, as I know the F4U's are, but then I seem to remember a discussion about why the F4U's flaps are so effective, and being slotted was the reason... That makes me believe the P-51's are not... :rolleyes:

I'll use a second notch as well.  Using flap angles beyond max aileron deflection begins to add more drag than lift.

(P.S. I AM Sector!  There were cons on me and myself?!  How dare they attack my schizophrenia... :noid)

i'm pretty sure the ponys had plain flaps.

the p-38 also benefited from maneuvering flaps, but they used fowler flaps.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2010, 09:39:15 PM »
Not in a P40. Based on what he said about flying it the other day.

Pointless anyway.  The post was moved to a forum where it cannot be seen anymore, and since it is not the bug forum, we know it is like that by design.  No problem, I did not spend any time creating the p40.  Let it sit in the hangar  :aok
I've been flying AH since 2008, took a break + came back, still not had a flap fall off in my sorties today.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2010, 01:46:39 AM »
In P40s? The flaps get jammed in a P40 if you just flip it off as it goes by. Give it a try.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2010, 03:19:37 AM »
:rofl edited the name :aok
Oh great!  Now my post just looks crazy...  Haha

i'm pretty sure the ponys had plain flaps.

the p-38 also benefited from maneuvering flaps, but they used fowler flaps.
Looking at pictures today, I have to agree; plain flaps.

I like them fowler flaps... Those are neat! :D
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline tiag

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2010, 05:14:00 AM »
"The attribute praised by all P-40 pilots was its strength. Many P-40 pilots recalled owing their lives to the plane`s ability to absorb punishment. ....".
The passage is on the book Mr. Bergerud "Fire in the Sky". He cites several combat experiences with the P-40 in the south Pacific.

One must not forget that the P-40s (as well as the F6Fs) were the workhorses of the Allies during the major part of the war in Pacific. These acft were responsible to hold the Japanese, e.g., on the South Pacific, when they had full momentum. The P-40Es were being produced from Dec 41 on in huge numbers. The powerfull fighters, that we all love, appeared in numbers just late on the war in 1944, when the axis already had lost the attrition war (pilots and POL). Many authors of the WWII say that the "war was won", by the P-40, the F6F and some very early Corsairs Lightnings in the PTO. In ETO, the famous P-51D or the P-47D-25+ just appeared in 1944. The P-40 played a major role in the MTO. So, I would doubt that the P-40 was something so "delicate" as you guys are experiencing. Of course, at the begginning of the war there was not so many acft carrying hwy A-A weaponry. Something to take in account.

A la chasse!

Tiag

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2010, 11:48:58 PM »
After the war the witch hunting began. Hearings were held to see why P-40s were constructed for as long as they had been: was this some sort of scam or perhaps a kickback scheme for Curtiss?

In the end they concluded that so many P-40s were made simply because they were needed that badly. Workhorse definitely sums it up. It did the work that the P-51s weren't doing. It did the work that F6Fs weren't doing. Better? Maybe not. But it did it.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2010, 07:39:15 AM »
When the US entered the war, the P-40 was THE front line fighter, along with the F4F for the Navy. It was a solid, rugged reliable plane with few handling vices.

The witch hunt after the war was really sort of misguided. What they should have been examining is the failure to get engines with more HP in the P-40, and propellers with more efficiency on the P-40 in a timely manner. As crappy as the Curtiss electric propellers were, as soon as Hamilton Standard introduced their superior propellers, Curtiss should have been producing them under license, just like the vast majority of other war materials were produced under license. Imagine a P-40 with 500 more HP and a four blade Hamilton Standard propeller.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2010, 12:23:28 PM »
When the US entered the war, the P-40 was THE front line fighter, along with the F4F for the Navy. It was a solid, rugged reliable plane with few handling vices.

The witch hunt after the war was really sort of misguided. What they should have been examining is the failure to get engines with more HP in the P-40, and propellers with more efficiency on the P-40 in a timely manner. As crappy as the Curtiss electric propellers were, as soon as Hamilton Standard introduced their superior propellers, Curtiss should have been producing them under license, just like the vast majority of other war materials were produced under license. Imagine a P-40 with 500 more HP and a four blade Hamilton Standard propeller.
You mean the Merlin P40s :D too bad by then they were basically out of the war and outdone by every other plane in the war
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2010, 03:51:24 PM »
You mean the Merlin P40s :D too bad by then they were basically out of the war and outdone by every other plane in the war

No, I do not mean Merlin P-40 versions.  :rolleyes:
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe