Author Topic: 2012 End of The World?  (Read 5243 times)

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
Re: 2012 End of The World?
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2011, 02:45:02 PM »
It's true.

Considering that someone dies every 5 seconds on the planet, it WILL be the end of the world for many.

some sources claim 1 dead a second, others claim 1 every 1/4 of a second.    the end is near!!!!
-AoM-

Offline PuppetZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2011, 02:53:57 PM »
WOOHOO! Time to get my credit card loaded!

Apocalypse freak : THIS IS THE END OF THE WORLD!!!!
me : What do I care? I'll be dead...

I only hope there's booze on the other side. :cheers:
LCDR. Frank 'PuppetZ' Perreault, Squadron intelligence officer

VF-17 Jolly Rogers
'Kids, you tried and failed miserably. The lesson is : never try'

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2011, 03:32:09 PM »
 I don't believe in a sharp date, but i wouldn't be surprised to see major natural disasters and wars in near future, the world will change not end. If i could travel in time, i would go back to the Garden of Eden and kill the snake.

Offline PouBoy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2011, 04:00:12 PM »
I don't believe in a sharp date, but i wouldn't be surprised to see major natural disasters and wars in near future, the world will change not end. If i could travel in time, i would go back to the Garden of Eden and kill the snake.
Wouldn't work. You would only be able to travel back in time to the point in which you invented time travel. IE, if you invented it yesterday, you would only be able to travel back to that point. At least, that's one of the theories. I suppose one could argue that if time travel was possible, one could also argue that they could go back to any period they wanted.

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2011, 04:03:25 PM »
Wouldn't work. You would only be able to travel back in time to the point in which you invented time travel. IE, if you invented it yesterday, you would only be able to travel back to that point. At least, that's one of the theories. I suppose one could argue that if time travel was possible, one could also argue that they could go back to any period they wanted.

wrong :)   the theories state that traveling back in time will never be possible, only forward time travel could ever be possible. 
-AoM-

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2011, 04:05:19 PM »
Could you imagine having the ultimate mulligan.  I'd be the best golfer in the world.
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »

What you are talking about sounds like a Tipler Cylinder.  But Stephen Hawking pretty much disproved the possibility of a Tipler Cylinder, because it requires either an infinitely long cylinder or negative energy for the math to work.  

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2011, 04:14:56 PM »
The current living decendants of Mayan's who act a shamans were asked about the end of the world prophesy predicted by the calendar. Their response was we westerners are reading into the calendar what we want to see in it. In their culture when the current calendar reaches the end of its cycle you just start a new cycle. Their cycles are longer than ours.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Phoenix 7

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2011, 04:34:05 PM »
meh
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:46:48 PM by Phoenix 7 »
354th Pioneer Fighter Group

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2011, 05:43:51 PM »

never mind, not gonna get banned
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:45:38 PM by ink »

Offline Carrel

• Copper Member
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2011, 06:30:38 PM »

never mind, not gonna get banned

This seems to be a light hearted discussion (unless a Jupiter sized comet suddenly appears, which isn't likely since we track all comets and most large meteors)-- why would you get so angry you'd say something to get banned?

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2011, 06:42:11 PM »
(unless a Jupiter sized comet suddenly appears, which isn't likely since we track all comets and most large meteors)

Actually NASA cannot afford to track them.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17473059/ns/technology_and_science-space/
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:44:16 PM by PFactorDave »

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2011, 07:09:44 PM »
What's any calendar got to do with it?

Is it so very hard to not see the increase in frequency and severity of "natural" events and not discern a logical pattern? :headscratch:

Extrapolate into the future what the outcomes will be if the current trends continue and/or increase.

Regards,
Sun
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2011, 07:17:09 PM »
Hmmmm!
2012 Nostradamus predictions have gained a lot of popularity, firstly because the year is coming closer and secondly his predictions seem to match predictions from other sources like the bible, Mayan and Gnostic texts and so on. You must also keep in mind that Nostradamus predictions are never clear cut and he writes symbolically and hence different people interpret these symbols in various ways. Although this is the case, many of his predictions have been interpreted correctly regarding the second world war, Hitler and so on. This makes 2012 Nostradamus predictions even more interesting to read as most people feel that they can be highly accurate.

Nostradamus Theory

2012 Nostradamus predictions paint a bleak picture of massive destruction and havoc brought about by a comet. It is not clear whether this comet will strike the earth or will pass very close to our planet, causing massive earthquakes and other cataclysmic occurrences. But all interpreters of his quatrains are united on the opinion that it will be a comet which will come somewhere in December 2012. Nostradamus writes in one of his quatrains – “In the sky will be seen a great fire dragging a trail of sparks”. This line clearly suggest a comet and many are of the opinion that it will be very big in size. Certain interpreters put the size to be just a little less than the planet Jupiter, and if such a comet passes close to the earth the effect of its gravity will cause the oceans to rise and also give rise to earthquakes.

Another theory is that the even though the comet will pass close to the earth it might cause an asteroid to shift course and impact the earth. Such an impact will be the size of several atomic bombs and will cause massive destruction. Some predict that the superpowers of the world will send atomic missiles to break this asteroid in space, but still there will be a shower of hail and fire from its fragments.

For 2012 Nostradamus also suggest that because of the massive destruction caused by the comet there will be widespread anarchy and certain nations can take advantage and plunge the world into a third World War. One of the quatrains says – “King of terror shall come from the sky. He will bring to life the King of Mongols.” This line has been interpreted that after the coming of the comet China will gain prominence and might start attacking countries to gain supremacy.

2012 Nostradamus predictions also gives an indication of the fate of certain nations, and how long the comet will be seen in the skies. He mentions – “The Great Star will blaze for Seven days” meaning the comet will be very near the earth for seven days and nights. Further he says – “The Huge dog will howl at night, when the great pontiff will change lands”. The great dog is taken to be the United Kingdom by many interpreters, and the line suggests its destruction. The pontiff is taken to be the pope and hence Rome too will be destroyed.
sounds like a job for captain hindsight. i bet de can decode the wording.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2011, 07:36:44 PM »

Is it so very hard to not see the increase in frequency and severity of "natural" events and not discern a logical pattern? :headscratch:

Extrapolate into the future what the outcomes will be if the current trends continue and/or increase.

But is there an increase in frequency or severity of natural events?  Or is it that the cycle is so long that history does not record far enough into the past?  Or is it that there really isn't an increase in frequency or severity?  Perhaps it is all a function of a media that needs ever increasing calamity to satisfy present day sensationalism.  Or perhaps a certain subset of folks with their own agenda needs there to be an increase to validate them, so the tend to forget that there used to be things like super volcanoes etc.

Just saying...

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder