Author Topic: Here's that film Grumpy  (Read 1555 times)

Offline vNUCKS

• Copper Member
vNucks

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
Re: Here's that film Grumpy
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 12:14:56 PM »
looked typical to me...  Did someone complain?

Oh and IN of course
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 12:37:36 PM »
Nucks, did you look at the film?

By the time you got to him on the first merge you had the speed and E advantage. First two passes I would call a HO attempt, I wouldn't have fired on either pass. He then out looped you and you ran. Hence the HO and run comments. 3rd pass looked like another HO attempt that I wouldn't have fired on. You then "extend" 5k to come back for a forth HO attempt (which by my guess is when you piloted wounded him), but final you make a couple of maneuvers to drop in on him and kill him with a crossing shot.

In each one of the HO attempts you could have avoided "going for the shot" in favor of a maneuver (like you you finally did) to set up a good shot for a kill. That's the difference between "fighting" and "HOing".

But like he said, do what ever you want, it's your nickel.

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
Do you think extending 5k is enough? ;)
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 04:19:52 PM »
that was a cool film.

Offline PuppetZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 04:59:33 PM »
One thing I noticed is, you tend to fly gun piper right on him. That will present you with only front quarter shot. When He try to engage a rolling scissor at 1:31 you have speed. Instead of going for the shot straight away by keeping the cross hairs on him, pull wing level in the vertical, locate him in your top/rear view, rotate your lift vector and drop back on him. Wash, rince and repeat until he runs out of E. Or try to lag turn him to saddle him up. at 3:01, your 100mph faster and dropping on him, yet you fail to capitalize on your E advantage and pull for a gun solution. Roll wing level and pull straight up. locate him and drop back on his 6. At 4:38, He chandel right to drop back to you. Your still flying gun piper on him. that leave you with a front quarter shot. Only then you decide to use vertical to gain a position on him. Another thing is that you extend waaaay too much. There is only 2 of you. In that situation, commit to the fight, be aggressive. Drain him out of his E and drop in for the kill. You extented to reset when you didn't need to. All you were doing is cut him some slack so he can try and rebuild his E bank. You had the advantage from the get go.

Pull straight up and rotate your lift vector. When he gets around 800, it's time to drop back. You shouldn't get much further than 1.2k out. That wont leave him no choice but to keep defending until he runs out of space. Don't stop until he's on the deck.
LCDR. Frank 'PuppetZ' Perreault, Squadron intelligence officer

VF-17 Jolly Rogers
'Kids, you tried and failed miserably. The lesson is : never try'

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 05:32:03 PM »
grab him by the ear and drag him through the cactus.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 09:25:33 PM »
Nucks, did you look at the film?

By the time you got to him on the first merge you had the speed and E advantage. First two passes I would call a HO attempt, I wouldn't have fired on either pass. He then out looped you and you ran. Hence the HO and run comments. 3rd pass looked like another HO attempt that I wouldn't have fired on. You then "extend" 5k to come back for a forth HO attempt (which by my guess is when you piloted wounded him), but final you make a couple of maneuvers to drop in on him and kill him with a crossing shot.

In each one of the HO attempts you could have avoided "going for the shot" in favor of a maneuver (like you you finally did) to set up a good shot for a kill. That's the difference between "fighting" and "HOing".

But like he said, do what ever you want, it's your nickel.

can i send you a beer?  lol   thats what i tried to tell him.  the only reason he got me in the end is because i was PW and blacked out.  i was also very low on fuel and wasnt going to make it back to land anyway. 
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 09:38:21 PM »
can i send you a beer?  lol   thats what i tried to tell him.  the only reason he got me in the end is because i was PW and blacked out.  i was also very low on fuel and wasnt going to make it back to land anyway. 

I'll take Sam Adams, and I'll PM you the address  :D

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 09:50:37 PM »
well at least its a good beer   :aok
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline gusman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 01:26:19 PM »
What is the current definition of a HO? The first two attempts looked like front quarter shots as grumpy did not have a shot at Vnux. Grumpy pulled up and gave Vnux the shots and he took them. Very tough shots to make but I don't think they were HOs

PuppetZ thanks for your analysis as I haven't been playing much and it's good to read how other people would handle certain situations.

Cheers,
gus

Lt Cdr gus
801 Squadron FAA
Squadron XO

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 02:36:59 PM »
Gusman, to me the F6 maneuver to AVOID the HO, the la did nothing to avoid to HO. The only time the La didn't try for the HO was when he maneuvered above the F6 and dropped in for the crossing shot that finish of the kill.

It doesn't take 2 to HO as we see here, but if all your doing is pointing your nose at the other guys it's still a HO. In this case the F6 almost avoided them all.

Offline gusman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 03:04:42 PM »
Gusman, to me the F6 maneuver to AVOID the HO, the la did nothing to avoid to HO. The only time the La didn't try for the HO was when he maneuvered above the F6 and dropped in for the crossing shot that finish of the kill.

It doesn't take 2 to HO as we see here, but if all your doing is pointing your nose at the other guys it's still a HO. In this case the F6 almost avoided them all.

Ok, I'll view the film again. Should Grumpy have come more over the top on the first merge? I guess that would depend on how much E he had. I'll check that too

Thanks Fugitive  :salute

Lt Cdr gus
801 Squadron FAA
Squadron XO

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 03:49:17 PM »

Ok, I'll view the film again. Should Grumpy have come more over the top on the first merge? I guess that would depend on how much E he had. I'll check that too

Thanks Fugitive  :salute

IMHO I think Grumpy would have been better off turning a little nose low to preserve speed and it would have left with more post merge options.  I think Nucks was a little close to do a nose high turn and merge because he didn't have enough horizontal separation to gain speed after the turn.  As is Grumpy was doing about 235-240 at the merge and Nucks was able to cut the corner and get a head on attack which Grumpy passed on (I think he could have gotten guns on him if he chose to).  A nose low turn would have still left him with 300mph on the dial and he would have more options post-merge.

*edit*
Quick edit, I'm not commenting on the validity of head on attacks in this post. :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 03:55:01 PM by Soulyss »
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.