Author Topic: Here's that film Grumpy  (Read 1556 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Here's that film Grumpy
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 03:50:04 PM »
Grumpy was at a disadvantage from the start. The best he could do was to push for over shoots and hope to get a good snap shot off. He wasn't high enough to gain back any E with a dive, the LA should be able to out turn him, and with the E advantage could have taken his time wearing him down.

At least it would have been a fight, which Grumpy was happy to go for, and the LA was not.

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 04:07:26 PM »
interesting to read everyones thoughts on what could have been done differently by me.  I honestly just get in and fly  LOL  never really be taught any ACM, just fly by the seat of my pants and have learned from mistakes over the years.  Im always down for a good fight, win or lose....
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA

Offline PuppetZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 08:14:27 PM »
Ok, I'll view the film again. Should Grumpy have come more over the top on the first merge?

Here is something I recorded the other day during a squad training night with BigRat in the TA.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wd4cgvp16gfpgr1

Same kind of situation. He's slow(200ish). I got a lot of smash (370ish). No way I can turn with him. If I just keep the nose on him I'll get only a very difficult snap shot (or if he start his break early, a front quarter shot since he'll have time to haul the nose around). Now a 1:29 he breaks left, instead of simply trying to follow his turn. I'll go up in a sort of vertical extension/high yo-yo. Since I go up, it leave me time to analyse what he's doing, but it don't allow him much horizontal separation so the pressure is still on him. Since I simply extend up, I bank my speed and make a low G turn over the top right back down on him. As soon as I see that I can't follow his break I pull up. After a few of those, I'm able to draw sufficient lead for a good raking shot. Notice that at 2:28 I get a little greedy for a shot that isn't really there and blow some E trying to get a gun solution (small error on my part, but I still have E on him so it's not too bad). Even then I simply pull back again to regain position. I'll get my shot on the next pass as by then we're getting pretty much equal speed so I can saddle for the shot.

2 things I'd like to note about this

1-Noticed how the fight became stationary. By going up like that, I commit to try and kill that 1 guy. That leaves me open to all other ennemy around since my horizontal speed is near nil. Usually not a good thing in multi-plane engagement. In that case, long extension and speed retention will increase your survival rate. Not that anyone care about this anyway...

2-This will work best with an enemy you have E aplenty over. If your near co-E, better to lag turn him or go more oblique on the pull back into your yo-yo.

Now about the fight between Nucks an grumpy. That strategy would have worked very well against his F6F. The LA5 is a small, nimble machine with a lot of engine power, while the F6F is a heavy crate with a barely sufficient engine. Since it's only you and him, You could have gone for more complex maneuver beside just trying to get guns on him every single pass. And given the situation, I don't think grumpy could have done much more. He suckered him in a rolling scissor from which nucks used his engine to pull out from. Nothing he could ahve done would have saved him on that one I believe.

IMVHO
LCDR. Frank 'PuppetZ' Perreault, Squadron intelligence officer

VF-17 Jolly Rogers
'Kids, you tried and failed miserably. The lesson is : never try'

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 10:31:32 PM »
i personally think i out flew him hands down until he got his PW hoe shot...  IMHO  i kept trying to fly home due to fuel when he extended but he kept coming back.  I wasnt fully into the fight.  If  I would have kept full into it i think the outcome would have been different. 

Offline PuppetZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 11:27:22 PM »
Yeah, I know how you feel. Happen to me all the time. It's very rare i'll run into someone that will not try to HO me on every face to face merge(and when I do I get sweaty palm cause that usually means I'm in trouble). I ran into a la7 the other day that tried just that. After 3 merge(on which, I might add, he blew any chance for a good maneuver by trying to line up a shot), he decided he had enough and ran. Couldn't catch him. These things are too fast. I'm in no way an uber stick or something. I'm beggining to get a good grasp of of ACM tough. Understand, I do not imply by any of my comments that your no good or whatever. I was merely analysing the film presented to us by nucks. I gave him advice based on it. You have to admit that things were not presenting themselves so good at the start of the fight. You could have gained the uper hand, and in fact you made a pretty good attempt at a rolling scissor to which Nucks did take the bait but not long enough for you to reel him in. It's my opinion that it would have been very difficult to turn the table on a LA given the situation. And had he used the technique I described, it would have made life pretty hard for you real quick.

With all due respect.

Edit : I just realised I said you 'suckered' him in a rolling scissor in my previous post. Bad choice of word. Sorry. read it as 'drew' him in a rolling scissor.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 11:31:09 PM by PuppetZ »
LCDR. Frank 'PuppetZ' Perreault, Squadron intelligence officer

VF-17 Jolly Rogers
'Kids, you tried and failed miserably. The lesson is : never try'

Offline drfritz

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 02:39:25 AM »
Quote from: grumpy37 on May 22, 2011, 09:25:33 PM
can i send you a beer?  lol   thats what i tried to tell him.  the only reason he got me in the end is because i was PW and blacked out.  i was also very low on fuel and wasnt going to make it back to land anyway. 

I'll take Sam Adams, and I'll PM you the address
your over 18 right. unless you live in portland or. its leagal here for a 18 year boy to suck down a Sam Adams

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 08:22:28 AM »
LOL I don't remember when I was 18. I need a calculator to figure out how old I am. I was drinking beer legally before they were MAKING Sam Adams!

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 08:28:53 AM »
<S> puppetz   I dont take anything personally in this "game"  I do appreciate everyones comments on this.  I was very surprised to see that he actually posted the film  LOL  Ive been playing this for 10 years or so off and on and still learn more every day.

Im also impressed this didnt get flamed like every other thread like this.  I also hope nucks has come back to read some of this.  I was antagonizing him more that anything cause I had already shot him down a few times and I knew he was out for revenge.....
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 08:31:08 AM by grumpy37 »

Offline vNUCKS

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 11:49:31 AM »
Ok, a little background here on what was going on.  I was the sole defender on several attacks at this field (note the text regarding me successfully defending the base solo), and despite at least one victory every sortie, I was eventually picked each time.  On this sortie, I upped against 2 attackers after being damaged on takeoff and ended sortie as the vulcher died to either ack or auger.  There were still two attackers, and as I inned on Grumpy I wasn't quite sure if the other attacker had intentions of joining the fight.  As a result, I pressed my attack very hard on Grumpy hoping to better my odds should the other attacker join the fight.  Upon realizing it was just he and I extended and re-inned for the kill.

For those of you who claim I had the advantage as the engagement began, I would argue that it started with me at 0mph on the runway against multiple attackers, and had been doing so for some time. Upon reviewing the film, I admit I'm a little perplexed as why Grumpy's wingman left him hanging.  My post was in response to Grumpy's messages to me, claiming the only attack I had was a HO, and that I killed him during a blackout while PW'd.  Obviously, under perceived duress against multiple attackers, I will HO, and frankly few wouldn't with cannons vs. 50 cal.  However, upon noting the fight had become 1v1 my tactics changed.  One should also note that Grumpy was in a high G turn when I finished him, obviously he wasn't blacked out, and my attacks consisted of more than HOing. 

I posted the film to set the record straight. 
vNucks

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 04:21:37 PM »
<S> puppetz   I dont take anything personally in this "game"  I do appreciate everyones comments on this.  I was very surprised to see that he actually posted the film  LOL  Ive been playing this for 10 years or so off and on and still learn more every day.

Im also impressed this didnt get flamed like every other thread like this.  I also hope nucks has come back to read some of this.  I was antagonizing him more that anything cause I had already shot him down a few times and I knew he was out for revenge.....

Grumpy... the other 6 dwarves were better lookin'    :neener:

How's that? Feel better now?   hehe
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 04:25:51 PM »
Sam Adams Boston Lager is all I drink Fugi :cheers
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 04:29:01 PM »
Grumpy... the other 6 dwarves were better lookin'    :neener:

How's that? Feel better now?   hehe

Much better shuffle... thank You

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 08:01:52 PM »
I posted the film to set the record straight.  
Dont worry about "the record".  Get out there and enjoy your time online.  Thats what matters.

And besides, you got a kill on grumpy  :old: and that is never a bad thing.  Rejoice!  :x
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline vNUCKS

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 08:14:52 PM »
Well, as Grumpy points out, he had several picks, err kills, against me about which I made no complaint.  However when he goes down he seems all to ready to not only complain, but lie about how he lost.  Just wanted everyone to know who they were listening to...
vNucks

Offline vNUCKS

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2011, 08:21:27 PM »
Grumpy was at a disadvantage from the start. The best he could do was to push for over shoots and hope to get a good snap shot off. He wasn't high enough to gain back any E with a dive, the LA should be able to out turn him, and with the E advantage could have taken his time wearing him down.

At least it would have been a fight, which Grumpy was happy to go for, and the LA was not.

I had upped repeatedly against superior numbers, how do you conclude I was not up to a fight?
vNucks