Author Topic: HO or no HO?  (Read 6765 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: HO or no HO?
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2011, 07:28:53 PM »
When you get guns on your opponent when he cannot get guns on you, the fight is over.  Continuing the fight any further is a pointless measure, especially in the MA, where the speed at which you kill enemies is the single most important metric in staying alive.

we're suppose to stay ALIVE !!!!   damn!

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2011, 08:16:35 PM »
Spitfire MK VIII for me.  :)

It does matter when your (my) goal is to be a good pilot (simulated, that is).
Spitfire MK VIII for me.  :)

Nope it doesn't matter at all; so wrong answer. Now stop making stupid posts about the alleged or wannabe HO and just play.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2011, 08:17:22 PM »
who peed in ur Wheaties?

No one did at all except for all the ding dongs that whine about HO shots and whatever else. I hated hearing about it 15+ years ago and I still hate hearing about it.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2011, 08:23:10 PM »
we're suppose to stay ALIVE !!!!   damn!

Whether you like to admit it or not, you are trying to stay alive every sortie you fly.  But it certainly is a lot less mentally taxing to ignore all other threats and focus on the one you are fighting so I don't blame you for wanting to strip it down to that.  :aok

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2011, 08:30:28 PM »
When you get guns on your opponent when he cannot get guns on you, the fight is over.

This...

I guess some folks just have a compulsion to play with their food Grizz.  :lol

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2011, 09:24:28 PM »
When you get guns on your opponent when he cannot get guns on you, the fight is over.

nicely put :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2011, 09:47:28 PM »
That was a good looking interception.  I always say AH is at its core a guns game.  That means get your guns on the target and kill them while NOT letting them get their guns on you.  Everything else is weak bs.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2011, 10:28:48 AM »
 I will shoot here EVERY single time

Oh, we know  :lol 

And juggler will be spraying from 1K out in the 110 while you are fighting someone else, but it all about the good fights  :rofl
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2011, 10:30:10 AM »
*exception to the rule.... 262s

If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2011, 11:30:16 AM »
Is there... like a website that lists which shots people are giving me that I shouldn't be taking?  

I don;t think that is the issue at all.  I don;t like them and I will make fun of any one that takes them.  Do I take them?  Sure, if you catch me taking off or if you dove in to join a 4 vs 1, if you hoed me several times and failed, but even that does not happen that often.  It is not my first choice or even last choice.  It is the I am pissed off choice  or the I thought you were the guy that vulched me earlier choice :lol  But, I am not about to fly for 10 minutes to find someone to face shoot with only to end up in the tower or limping back.  It is just stupid.

Now, what you do is up to you (you in general not you personally).  The problems start when a HOer gets called out.  For some reason, even though they will explain to you how valid and historical the shot is, they get really messed up if you tell them they did it.  Try in on 200 and see  :lol 

As I said, never in the history of human kind has anyone been so upset, as HOer being told he HOed  :old:
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2011, 12:13:01 PM »
Whether you like to admit it or not, you are trying to stay alive every sortie you fly.  But it certainly is a lot less mentally taxing to ignore all other threats and focus on the one you are fighting so I don't blame you for wanting to strip it down to that.  :aok

Indeed. But certainly more taxing for the keyboard when you of course need to whine on Ch200 about getting ganged.  :lol
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2011, 12:22:15 PM »
Oh, we know  :lol 

And juggler will be spraying from 1K out in the 110 while you are fighting someone else, but it all about the good fights  :rofl

Muhahahaha.  I have no moral reserve with HOing if the other guy can't HO me back.  The only time that it is dweebish is if he avoided the ram in a close quarter fight and I shot the top of his plane after he dodged the ram.  It happens sometimes, especially in the DA, but I usually apologize and call it a cheap shot.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2011, 12:51:18 PM »
The only time that it is dweebish is if he avoided the ram in a close quarter fight and I shot the top of his plane after he dodged the ram.

This seems to be the most common thing people do in the MA.  Not speaking about you, Grizz, just in general.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2011, 01:03:34 PM »
Doesn't matter whether it was a HO or not.  Seems to me part of the discussion is context of the fight. 

JUGgler and I had a stretch a while back where we ran into each other numerous times on the deck, he in his Jug and me in my 38G.  Neither of us would have taken that shot knowing who we were fighting as the intent was to out fly the other guy and shoot him in the back.

Same applies to fighting Grizz, despite what he's saying.

That being said, if I'm in a furball with multiple red guys swirling around, I'd take that shot.  1 v 1, I wouldn't.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2011, 01:04:43 PM »

I guess it all comes down to one question.  What makes a pilot good (simulated or otherwise)?
  • Super high K/D?
  • Hundreds of kills per tour?
  • Low fighter rank?
  • High kills per hour?
  • High kills per sortie?
  • High hit percentage?
  • All/any of the above in a 25 ENY ride?
  • Low Attack rank?
  • Never HO's (despite the fact that there are 100 different definitions of a HO)
  • Well respected as a good dog fighter in the AH community?

Midway and others, play the game like YOU want to play it, ignore what others think (unless you really care what others think), and have fun.  At the end of the day, none of us are making a dime off this game, there is no celebrity outside AH and you won't be on the 11 o'clock news if you do HO someone... 

Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org