Author Topic: P-40 "white #7"  (Read 16804 times)

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: P-40 "white #7"
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2011, 06:50:04 PM »
oh just spotted something else  AHHHHHHHH its never ending   
The blue on the spinner?
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2011, 10:05:48 PM »
A good colour photo for reference purposes.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2011, 10:35:41 PM »
A good colour photo for reference purposes.

(Image removed from quote.)
:O I want that one on the right at the end of the photo!  :rock
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2011, 10:59:15 PM »
The blue on the spinner?

nope that's there on purpose, the guy who flew this plane, painted his spinner a few different colors, so I am showing the color underneath the red.

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2011, 12:58:41 AM »
Hmm. OK.
It looks wierd to me that way. Maybe if you had OD green underneath. That would look pretty cool.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2011, 01:19:20 AM »
It's really looking good but I don't think the red/blue spinner works.   I didn't know what you were trying to do until you told us.   I think they probably would've undercoated the red with a neutral-colored primer and not sprayed it directly over the blue, but have no proof of that.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: September 02, 2011, 01:42:34 AM »
It's really looking good but I don't think the red/blue spinner works.   I didn't know what you were trying to do until you told us.   I think they probably would've undercoated the red with a neutral-colored primer and not sprayed it directly over the blue, but have no proof of that.

ya I am not sure  :headscratch:

maybe if it was less blue....Im guessing he painted that a lot more often, I've read in a few different site's that he was known for doing this, that is why he had no numbers on the plane also, trying to confuse the nme into thinking there where many more planes....so with that thinking I would bet they would just paint over the old spinner color with out to much more then just slappin on the new paint...

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2011, 01:50:30 AM »
Ink, that's why I recomnended the olive drab showing through the red. It accomplishes the effect you're going for without looking odd. There isnt blue anywhere else on the plane. Sombody who notices the blue would wonder why the blue is there, but with the OD it becomes obvious that  the red paint is wearing off, revealing the paint underneath.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2011, 01:54:31 AM »
Ink, that's why I recomnended the olive drab showing through the red. It accomplishes the effect you're going for without looking odd. There isnt blue anywhere else on the plane. Sombody who notices the blue would wonder why the blue is there, but with the OD it becomes obvious that  the red paint is wearing off, revealing the paint underneath.

good call :aok

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2011, 09:02:09 AM »
I think the brown on the undersides isn't quite right, still. It's too prominent, and too bright. When you see a car with a fan of mud spraying backwards from the wheel well (like it was flinging mud for a while) it isn't very bright. It gets dull as it dries on. I think maybe a number of things might help, such as reducing the opacity on your current level by half, or changing the hue/saturation of that layer, or something.

Ink, one valuable tip is when you think you are done, don't just get ready to hang up your tools and submit it. Rather, when you think you are done, save it and sit on it. Don't even LOOK at it for a week. Forget about it as much as you can. Then in one week open it up, look at it in-game and in the skins viewer. You get a set of fresh eyes on your progress that way. THEN, do the changes that will pop out at you (i.e. forgetting landing lights or some such), let sit again. When you get to the point you notice nothing missing and nothing overlooked, submit it.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2011, 09:09:57 AM »
I think the brown on the undersides isn't quite right, still. It's too prominent, and too bright. When you see a car with a fan of mud spraying backwards from the wheel well (like it was flinging mud for a while) it isn't very bright. It gets dull as it dries on. I think maybe a number of things might help, such as reducing the opacity on your current level by half, or changing the hue/saturation of that layer, or something.

Ink, one valuable tip is when you think you are done, don't just get ready to hang up your tools and submit it. Rather, when you think you are done, save it and sit on it. Don't even LOOK at it for a week. Forget about it as much as you can. Then in one week open it up, look at it in-game and in the skins viewer. You get a set of fresh eyes on your progress that way. THEN, do the changes that will pop out at you (i.e. forgetting landing lights or some such), let sit again. When you get to the point you notice nothing missing and nothing overlooked, submit it.

I think this is very good advice.   Often its not until my skin is in the game that I'll see some obvious error in it and I wonder how I could've missed it.
But not having any info from HTC about skin pack release schedule is frustrating and can cause you to rush to submission so you won't miss getting your skin into the next release.   

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2011, 09:32:07 AM »
That's not an issue now with the doubled skin slots.

It is what it is... Getting it into the queue doesn't mean getting it into the next skins pack. It is very much fire-and-forget once you submit. Any mistakes linger in-game for a long time due to the skin pack update schedule. I corrected one of my 109Fs 2 or 3 times and it took forever. If I'd just waited and looked it over I would only have had to do it once.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2011, 03:48:27 PM »
Wow !!! ... the latest version is so much better than previous versions.

Ink ... no doubt you have artistic talent ... I think the thing that you have to remember when skinning a plane is that the "artistic freedom license" has to take a back seat to to the "artistic logic license" when skinning planes.

There is nothing wrong with your weathering/use techniques. As a matter of fact, they are superb IMHO, but you have to ask yourself ...

"Would this weathering/use that I would like to place on this plane ... in a logic place that weathering/use would take place under most normal operating circumstances?"

The latest version of this skin looks like you asked yourself this question ... keep it up.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2011, 04:43:12 PM »
Looks awesome ink and I have to agree with Krusty that the brown underneath for the oil leakage should be toned down a little ... other than that you are getting better sir... :aok :aok
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: September 02, 2011, 09:05:24 PM »
thanx all for the replies  :salute

I very much appreciate the advise....and words.

I wish we could use a bigger image for more detail....then I could do a tiny bit of blue and it would not be no where near as noticeable, which is what I wanted, there is actually two different reds in the spinner also to show the different layers painted but going to "indexed" really screws it up, I have heard about "bright" downloaded it but just not woking for me....indexing is the worst  :bhead

anybody ever enlarge the image to 2048 and then shrink it back down?   im thinking about doing that. it may allow much more detail to be put in. :headscratch: