Author Topic: Walking Dead season 2  (Read 6190 times)

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
Re: Walking Dead season 2
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2011, 09:41:43 AM »
spears and lances would make great zombie fighting weapons.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2011, 10:30:10 AM »
Yep you and your one spear vs 2, 5, 10, or 20+ zombies. Yup I can see how that would work out well, stick one, get it stuck and then what. Ya better change yer name to lunch because that's what you'd be.  :huh
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2011, 10:32:18 AM »
The sub plots are sure dragging down the show. I really don't care for all of the emotional angst the female writers are dumping in the show. The confrontation with the wife over her pregnancy and her fling with Shane didn't track well at all.  :huh

At least they explained WHY Hershal has the zombies in the barn. One is his wife and the other a son (stepson?) so he is obviously hoping that there will be a "cure" found. It is a case of losing his objectivity and failing to recognise that the walkers are no longer the folks they used to be and cannot ever come back. Hell, the decomposition should have made that a no brainer. Then again the fact that zombies are decomposing and still need to "feed" is somewhat contradictory in itself anyhow.  :rolleyes:

How else are you to propagate the show, then?

Honestly, and hour of killing zombies week after week would bore me to death.  I really don't mind the little side plots, especially the one's that explore the "what if" important questions of a post-zombie apocalypse world.

Food will be scarce.
Defensible shelter would be in demand.
The list of folks one could trust would be short, indeed.
Medical conditions will present themselves and will need to be addressed, including pregnancy.
Not everyone will have the same views on the morality of dispatching the zombies.
People are going to desperately defend what resources they have and will not be too willing to share.

When the trappings and conveniences of the modern world is stripped away, so will the veneer of civility with regard to humans start to crack and peel away, revealing everyone's true nature.

Most any society is roughly 7 meals away from anarchy.

These are the types of things not explored in a 2-hour George Romero flick (even though I love his work) and I am not embarrassed to admit that this is what keeps me interested.  It dives into the normal questions not answered in your typical zombie horror flick.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2011, 11:48:47 AM »
How else are you to propagate the show, then?

Honestly, and hour of killing zombies week after week would bore me to death.  I really don't mind the little side plots, especially the one's that explore the "what if" important questions of a post-zombie apocalypse world.

Food will be scarce.
Defensible shelter would be in demand.
The list of folks one could trust would be short, indeed.
Medical conditions will present themselves and will need to be addressed, including pregnancy.
Not everyone will have the same views on the morality of dispatching the zombies.
People are going to desperately defend what resources they have and will not be too willing to share.

When the trappings and conveniences of the modern world is stripped away, so will the veneer of civility with regard to humans start to crack and peel away, revealing everyone's true nature.

Most any society is roughly 7 meals away from anarchy.

These are the types of things not explored in a 2-hour George Romero flick (even though I love his work) and I am not embarrassed to admit that this is what keeps me interested.  It dives into the normal questions not answered in your typical zombie horror flick.

I agree 100%.  An hour of gore fest would be uninteresting after the first episode.  The story has to be about the people and how they handle the situations that are thrust upon them.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2011, 11:52:47 AM »
I agree 100%.  An hour of gore fest would be uninteresting after the first episode.  The story has to be about the people and how they handle the situations that are thrust upon them.

This is true, except said people have tended to make really dumb decisions.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2011, 12:15:48 PM »
This is true, except said people have tended to make really dumb decisions.

For me, that it what makes it even better.

When a fictional television drama can invoke emotions that elicit a physical reaction by me before I can stop myself (excluding sporting events, of course), I am highly impressed.

When Andrea took that shot at Darryl Dixon, mistaking him for a walker and he dropped to the deck, I literally threw the remote at the TV calling her a stupid B%*ch and everything else I could think of before I realized I was actually doing it.

There aren't too many TV shows these days that can draw me in so deeply  :aok

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2011, 12:32:03 PM »
Yep you and your one spear vs 2, 5, 10, or 20+ zombies. Yup I can see how that would work out well, stick one, get it stuck and then what. Ya better change yer name to lunch because that's what you'd be.  :huh

I would not engage a herd of zombies that size in the first place  :eek:

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2011, 12:37:10 PM »

Exactly why I have been trying to explain to the wife the importance of mounting a .50 cal. on the Wrangler  :aok

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2011, 01:36:37 PM »
Exactly why I have been trying to explain to the wife the importance of mounting a .50 cal. on the Wrangler  :aok

It really is practical if you think about it...  :D

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: November 22, 2011, 01:58:36 PM »
It really is practical if you think about it...  :D

There are no rules in the PennDot vehicle inspection code that forbid it...

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: November 22, 2011, 02:14:44 PM »

That's just great......if you have a choice. Think back on the show and see how many times they end up having to deal with a "herd". Saying you can deal with one at a time is just dandy as long as you only ever have to deal with one and only out in the open where you have space to use a 6' plus spear. I am hoping you remembered to put a cross bar on it as well other wise the walker will just walk up further onto the shaft and there you are, lunch, again.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2011, 02:27:35 PM »
That's just great......if you have a choice. Think back on the show and see how many times they end up having to deal with a "herd". Saying you can deal with one at a time is just dandy as long as you only ever have to deal with one and only out in the open where you have space to use a 6' plus spear. I am hoping you remembered to put a cross bar on it as well other wise the walker will just walk up further onto the shaft and there you are, lunch, again.

You really have put alot of thought into this sir  :lol

Real zombies wouldn't move that fast or hunt in packs you know  :rolleyes: . Spears would be adequate tools.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: November 22, 2011, 02:38:02 PM »
You really have put alot of thought into this sir  :lol

Real zombies wouldn't move that fast or hunt in packs you know  :rolleyes: . Spears would be adequate tools.

Spears would be good to hamstring the nitwits that want to use spears so you have more time to get away...

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2011, 02:39:41 PM »
a real Katana would make short work of those zombies :rock

but YA I agree they need to concentrate on the people and the situations they may happen upon....but damn a few zombie kills a show would be nice.....

I am glad though that the truth about her and Shane finally came out.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2011, 03:49:01 PM »
I am glad though that the truth about her and Shane finally came out.

Ya me too.  Between Shane's attitude lately and this thing between him and Lori, I suspect that we'll see a major blow out/melt down coming soon between him and Rick.  It wouldn't surprise me if, eventually, Dale ends up being the guy to lay the smack down on Shane.  Maybe, put one in his knee at a critical moment and leave Shane the same way Shane left Otis.  Pure speculation on my part.  I haven't read any of the comics and I'm intentionally avoiding them so as not to spoil anything that may or may not be coming.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder