Author Topic: Is the vote over yet?  (Read 3584 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: Is the vote over yet?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 02:36:53 PM »
Don't be a duck.. The Meteor is right near the heart of WWII era air combat history.  Way down the list if we're prioritizing, but certainly not off it.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 02:37:09 PM »
Wrong.  From the Aces High (hitechcreations.com) home page:

"Aces High takes the art and science of vintage WW1 and WW2 air combat and sets it in a high intensity online multiplayer environment.

High fidelity flight simulation is the heart of Aces High..."

The Meteor did not engage in WW2 air combat.  It does not belong in this sim.
But it did engage in ground strafing attacks.

Strafing targets (fields/buildings/etc) ARE in AH. therefore it qualifies it.

If this was a strict Air combat simulator, then the game would be nothing more than the DA, with no Tanks, No towns, No destructable objects. Just a bunch of planes zooming around eachother.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 02:44:54 PM »
I think the Meteor does have a place in AH, as usual it's just a matter of priorities.  Meteor crews flew combat sorties and risked their lives like other servicemen.  I just have a hard time seeing another late war plane getting added when there are so many other options out there, planes that that aren't in the game yet.  Still lots of planes from the IJA that saw significant service at earlier dates, VVS seems under represented in the early and mid war realm.  There are huge gaps in the EW and ME bomber options from the Luftwaffe, RAF, Italians, VVS, and despite the recent addition of the G4M there are still lots of good choices from the IJA and IJN.  

I'm looking at planes that saw service in significant numbers for several years, with multiple countries in some cases and in multiple theaters of operations.  Things that would add substantially to WW2 "feel" of Aces High in the MA, as well as greatly expand the possibilities of special events and custom arenas.  

I don't buy into this idea that a plane has to be "competitive" in the late war to make it a viable addition to the game, I expect the latest and greatest will always see the most usage but lots of planes can be competitive under the right conditions, they add a welcome bit of diversity to the game and give it some character.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 02:48:55 PM »
But it did engage in ground strafing attacks.

Strafing targets (fields/buildings/etc) ARE in AH. therefore it qualifies it.

If this was a strict Air combat simulator, then the game would be nothing more than the DA, with no Tanks, No towns, No destructable objects. Just a bunch of planes zooming around eachother.

And when folks figure out the 262 is the better bird, the Meteor will fall by the wayside.  This belief that it's a world beater will go away quickly.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 02:50:22 PM »
And when folks figure out the 262 is the better bird, the Meteor will fall by the wayside.  This belief that it's a world beater will go away quickly.
I think it'll stay around as the poor mans 262.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 02:56:27 PM »

If it were me, I would probably perk it at around tempest or 163 levels.  That will make it attractive to many.  Depending how it handles, if it costs half the perks and the enemy's using 262s, people might up a Meteor to hunt them.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 02:57:35 PM »
Wrong.  From the Aces High (hitechcreations.com) home page:

"Aces High takes the art and science of vintage WW1 and WW2 air combat and sets it in a high intensity online multiplayer environment.

High fidelity flight simulation is the heart of Aces High..."

The Meteor did not engage in WW2 air combat.  It does not belong in this sim.

You just verified that the MA is the full melee arena.  HTC stated that in its' statement.  Instead of laser science in combat
we're using WWII aircraft in a full bore all weapons available fight.  Nothing historical there.  Just the weapons from that time period.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 03:06:14 PM »
The Meteor is right near the heart of WWII era air combat history.

"Near the heart"?  You're kidding, right?  Maybe it's near YOUR heart -- if you like jets as representing WWII.

The Meteor was insignificant as a WWII aircraft -- seeing little action (not one air to air kill I am aware of) and having little, if any, impact on the outcome.  Sadly, its insignificance may not affect the voting.  Kids just want a shiny toy.

The historical relevance aside, though, how will introducing another jet into AH will have any positive impact on gameplay?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 03:11:18 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 03:14:06 PM »
It's near the heart of WWII air combat era in that it's a major player's (UK) first design in the paradigm shift that took over the late part of WWII - turbine power.

Citing kill stats is biased.  The war was all but won.  

This whole game is all shiny toys.  We're not soldiers, this isn't a real war.  

No comment on positive gameplay impact, other than... If it's a fun plane to fly, you couldn't argue against players the world over getting their rocks off getting their stick & rudder fix flying the thing.
Maybe it's near YOUR heart
gratuitous inaccurate and irrelevant ad hom
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2011, 03:17:05 PM »
Cmon Yak-3...i need you to win! :pray

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 03:17:58 PM »
Important because of the design itself does not mean useful or helpful in winning the war. The Spruce Goose is quite an important design, for example. The Me323 Gigant was a very important design but as for actual usefulness? Almost not at all.

The Japanese first turbine design never made production, but surely it is as ground breaking as both the meteor and the Me262, no? What of the US's first jet?

Just because it's an important design in a country's technological development doesn't cement its place in WW2 history. My $0.03.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2011, 03:22:57 PM »
the Meteor never saw real combat in WW2, why should it be added?
There are a lot of Airplanes like the Ki43, Ju 52 HE111 Beaufighter which would give scenario and arena action a great add on value
I'd have a very hard time telling a Meteor pilot that he didn't see real combat in it when he was attacking German airfields or risking his life shooting down V1s.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 03:41:50 PM »
This whole game is all shiny toys.  We're not soldiers, this isn't a real war.  

No comment on positive gameplay impact, other than... If it's a fun plane to fly, you couldn't argue against players the world over getting their rocks off getting their stick & rudder fix flying the thing

Agreed, it's not a real war.  It's a game based on WWII, in which the Meteor was not significantly involved.

I would argue that flying a Meteor would be no more fun than flying a Ki-43 or any other plane for that matter.  In fact, getting kills in a Ki-43 (or many other AC) would be MORE fun IMO, because it isn't nearly as easy to accomplish.
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 03:57:35 PM »
De gustibus et coloribus..

The 262 is a thrill to fly alone into hordes.  The Meteor ought to be too.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 05:53:25 PM »
Anything but the ME410 and I'll be cheering  :x

*fingers crossed*

-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."